Ash Wednesday - interesting happenings and music?
  • Ignoto
    I am sad that you interpret a discussion with forum members about issues related to sacred music as being a personal attack or "swipe" at you.

May God bless you in your ministry!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the result of your post is that I will hesitate in the future to post things I'm doing, or questions I have on this forum.

I hope you don't let one person ruin all the fun helpfulness.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    However...your comment wasn't a collegial attempt to bring something to my attention...it was a swipe at me. I'm not sure why you found that necessary, and I don't know what your intentions were, but the result of your post is that I will hesitate in the future to post things I'm doing, or questions I have on this forum

I saw no "swipe" at you. His (her?) comment was useful and correct.

It sounds like you are over-sensitive to the fact that you are new at your job.

Really - after reading this forum for so long - you should know that if you're going to do this, you need to thicken up your skin.

The congregation and visitors to your church WILL take "swipes" at you - and they won't mention what the missal says as their basis for criticism. They'll write to your pastor, call you every name in the book, and tell him to fire you so that they can enjoy going to mass again.

If you can't even handle this kind of criticism from other professionals, how will you handle THAT kind of criticism when it comes? And it will come.

Thanked by 2Ignoto Jeffrey Quick
  • WendiWendi
    Don't worry little Joe, I'm not going anywhere. I'll still join in on all the fun, I'll just ask my questions privately.

PaixGioiaAmor: Thanks for your input.
  • Padster
    The more I visit Catholic fora, the more I see confrontational attitudes over rules and procedure. It is rather blinkered, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • CharlesW
    Good point, Padster. Some of the EF folks can be the most difficult for OF people to deal with. Their rules are not our rules. We have rules and procedures but they are guidelines, not so much laid-down-from-God law. Also, I think newer rules haven't had the time to become as fixed and inflexible. More of that will be worked out over time.
  • Jani
    I don't know what blinkered means, but it's not alot different here than in any other group, be it a family or a committee or a church or whatever. People get hurt feelings, have strong opinions, etc. Learning to NOT take everything personally is necessary, and also to remember that for the most part, we don't know each other. Our distinct personalities are unseen and unknown.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't want to spoil the party....
    What I noticed, as did David, is that the timing of the renewed post seemed odd in that we have approximately 320 more days to contemplate the vagaries of the law and the practicums, as we are not even a week into Eastertide, alleluia and all that (???)
    Discuss away. Just don't miss the forest for the trees would be my advice.
  • CharlesW
    Amount of time I am spending thinking about anything related to Holy Week and Easter next year - think zero! I survived this year and for that I am extremely grateful. My concern at this point is directed toward Pentecost, the patronal feast of the parish.

BTW, what does "blinkered" mean?
  • WendiWendi
    blink·ered
    adjective \ˈbliŋ-kərd\
    Definition of BLINKERED
    : limited in scope or understanding : narrow-minded
    : a horse fitted with blinders
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Dozens upon dozens of people conversing, sharing, joking, having fun, learning new things.
    +
    A small handful who turn everything into a rubrical shibboleth.
    =
    ZOMG!!1! MusicaSacra is full of legalists and angry trads.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

You over there: stop spoiling everyone else's good time.

The rest of you, don't let those people spoil your good time.
  • G
    ZOMG

"'Zounds"? (No, thanks, I know what it really is, folks...)

Isn't there some piece of scifi with a society so advanced it has only two laws? Don't bother anyone, and Don't be easily bothered?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ger,
    With all of the faux dispensationalism circling the globe, I looked at ZOMG and for a nano second thought "Gog and Magog!" I don't know why, but the Z is so sci-fi!
    And don't the British lightly curse "Oh, bother!" when something doesn't strike their fancy well?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Zither Or My Guitar?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Zoroaster On Much Geritol?
  • chonakchonak
    Apparently some clarification is needed.
    I do not see what is so noble or brilliant about having silence

This is sarcasm. Please avoid it. (The rest of the commentary seemed unobjectionable to me.)

And also:
    If you can't even handle this kind of criticism from other professionals, how will you handle THAT kind of criticism when it come

Sarcasm from an anonymous person on the internet doesn't count as professional critique. Anonymous users have a special duty to resist the temptation to post messages that they would not write with their names attached.
  • ghmus7
    We sang Pascha Nostrum. Exuberent it is! One of my schola members commented that Pascha may possibly be sung "paska" because of it's greek origins.
    Sarcasm from an anonymous person on the internet doesn't count as professional critique. Anonymous users have a special duty to resist the temptation to post messages that they would not write with their names attached.

This fries me, to be honest.

Not many here are anonymous. Anyone who has been here any amount of time has/can figure out the true identities of the vast majority of regular posters. I'm "anonymous" in as far as you would have to do some research, combing through many of my past posts to make a case for who I am. This is the method to my madness; sure, someone could reveal my identity and make a case against something I've said, but when I demonstrate how much work they must have had to have done to do so, they end up looking nuts/obcessed.

You want this whole forum to die off and to have no conversation? Try to have people use their real names.

If we used our real names, I'd say almost nothing. Maybe that would be welcome to you. But I don't think many want to give anyone advice or speak openly knowing that their words are google able decades later.

That seems to be your point. Well sometimes people need to be told how it is for their own good and for the sake of their jobs. I don't know what you don't get about that. They don't have to listen and anyone can dismiss the words of anyone that they want to here. I dismiss the words of many here.

But there are NOT many "trolls" here who don't believe what they type and are only doing it to get a reaction. The discussions that go on here are valuable and people are saying it like it is for the good of other people.

That, IMHO is true charity.
    Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • chonakchonak
    Dear PGA,

I am not alone in thinking that internet anonymity tempts people to write rude remarks in comment boxes.

So I urge people to avoid rhetoric that feeds internet 'flaming'. And this is not just chonak imposing his nanny-like preferences. The guidelines were here before I joined this forum:

Avoid Flames
    Every now and then, you may be tempted to add fuel to a heated topic by escalating the anger. Think twice and check yourself. In the event your post is not pulled, it will remain available for everyone to see, for a long time. Criticize arguments, not people.

I really don't see what you are defending. Since you read my note above, you know perfectly well that I called ignoto's factual material "unobjectionable". Did you miss that? Or is it your opinion that the airing of professional differences needs to allow for sarcasm for their proper expression?

I don't believe that.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • Ignoto
    I thought sarcasm was when people say the opposite of what they really mean to say.

I honestly meant to say that I did not understand the noble silence concept that was introduced or why the choir later thought it a brilliant idea.

But thank you for pointing out the phrase that you found objectionable. I respect your authority as moderator of this forum, and I will do my best in the future to phrase all aspects of my postings in a way that hopefully will not be considered objectionable.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • CharlesW
    I hate to tell you guys this, but anything I write on this forum I would sign my name to. I generally say what I honestly think. Some accept that, others don't. There is never any malice, but I readily accept that all may not agree with me. The bad thing about it, is that writing on a forum is not the best form of communication. Much gets lost or can be misunderstood that would not be a problem in face-to-face communication.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Open to all.
    From Charles Culbreth (melofluent, ie. fluent in melody)
    Richard Chonak is our moderator. His integrity is beyond reproach, and his intent is for the betterment of all here, and Christians in general. His heart is true always. He can and admits upon the occasion to an honest misunderstanding.
    @PGA- you are an equally treasured colleague, but you are trying to solve some puzzles about the forum of which none of us has all the pieces. It's best not to dwell in guessing others' intents and motivations. Regarding "trolls" here with intent to _____? or do actual damage. Many of us, including myself, can attest to the very unpleasant reality of their presence here. How many of them, or who they are, or such details are irrelevant. These sad souls feed off of any slight pittance of a word or meaning, and will use it not only here, but in others' real lives to wreak havoc, sew suspicion or otherwise demean and as they feel empowered, effort to destroy careers and lives. Don't ever assume this is some college kiosk of ideas.
    Like it or not, none of us has a corner on the market of declaring what constitutes "true charity" is here and its going price at any moment. Chonak has the thankless job of actually having to moderate thousands of IPA's and user ID's and he does so with professional courtesy, always.
    @Ignoto- where you have erred is not at all concerned with anonyminity or your manipulation of semantics. You have clearly managed to draw attention to an agenda you carry not for the benefit of all, but for some affirmation you require for your POV. How is this conclusion derived? Because you have voiced it three times now, the last occasion two posts prior to this? To what end? To whose benefit or satisfaction? (I venture too close to overkill here, I'm done.)
    I am a 63 y.o. naif who still believes in all those noble things we want our fellows to share. But I cannot control how my words are received, so I have to take care in how I say them, or couch them, if I wish to be taken seriously.
    And if a couple of my CMAA friends love me enough to work through my foibles and failings, like Chonak has, I am in their debt.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    I'm with PGA; church work requires a thick skin. I used to get fired up about the ridiculous pronouncements by rad-trad fundies here too, but I realized something: They're not at my church. They have no business telling me or anyone else what to do. In fact, most of these people giving their high and mighty pronouncements about silence or what hymns you can or can't use or whatever will go to their own church on Saturday and warble out "Gather Us In" into a microphone attached to their 1973 Baldwin Computer Organ. So if Wendy is doing the best Wendy can in her situation, that's fantastic, and anyone who says otherwise can go suck a lemon.

It's the people in our churches we have to watch out for. And the trads are the worst. In my last Catholic church, the choir would weekly sing the communion antiphon, usually in English to a psalm tone. It was a great struggle to get this accepted. Then one of those young traddy nuns (that some here love so much) came to my church, and started telling everyone in the congregation "he can't do that! He can't chant the proper to an unapproved translation! They have to do the Latin or a hymn!" Two years of work down the drain. Thanks for the help, sister.

We will always have the "experts" with us. As one former boss said, "I don't wish them harm, but I do wish them away."
    Thanked by 1PaixGioiaAmor
  • CharlesW
    My pastor takes the position that he is the parish liturgist. He can usually produce documents to prove what he says. I have encountered a few of Gavin's experts, too. I usually tell them I don't work for them and to take their complaints to the pastor. That is the end of it.
    I really don't see what you are defending. Since you read my note above, you know perfectly well that I called ignoto's factual material "unobjectionable". Did you miss that? Or is it your opinion that the airing of professional differences needs to allow for sarcasm for their proper expression?

I don't believe that.

I'm sure you are a great guy with whom I wouldn't mind having a beer. And you're probably a great musician to boot. But you and I have long disagreed on issues of speech. I'll hesitate to say "free speech," because I know full well that legally, that tenet has nothing to do with a private forum owned by someone else. None the less, the spirit of the argument is the same.

I'm no ACLU member, but I do believe strongly in a tenet of theirs that I've heard expressed before: The antidote to offensive speech is not to try to quell speech; rather the antidote is more speech.

I'm simply advocating a free exchange of ideas of people which they sincerely believe, as opposed to people feeling the need to keep their mouths shut (their hands still?) because someone might not like what they have to say.

Sarcasm? I don't think posts need to be dripping in it. But by your own admission, the post possibly had ONE LINE that could be read as being sarcastic, and which the author denies was even intended in that manner.

Finally, I didn't see anyone personally criticized. I saw their liturgical practices criticized. To me, that is taking on an idea. Personal criticism would be "Chonak is overweight." Criticizing ideas would be saying "Chonak thinks that all music at mass should be a cappella; this is absurd!"
    Thanked by 2Jeffrey Quick Ignoto
    I'm with PGA; church work requires a thick skin. I used to get fired up about the ridiculous pronouncements by rad-trad fundies here too, but I realized something: They're not at my church. They have no business telling me or anyone else what to do. In fact, most of these people giving their high and mighty pronouncements about silence or what hymns you can or can't use or whatever will go to their own church on Saturday and warble out "Gather Us In" into a microphone attached to their 1973 Baldwin Computer Organ. So if Wendy is doing the best Wendy can in her situation, that's fantastic, and anyone who says otherwise can go suck a lemon.

It's the people in our churches we have to watch out for. And the trads are the worst. In my last Catholic church, the choir would weekly sing the communion antiphon, usually in English to a psalm tone. It was a great struggle to get this accepted. Then one of those young traddy nuns (that some here love so much) came to my church, and started telling everyone in the congregation "he can't do that! He can't chant the proper to an unapproved translation! They have to do the Latin or a hymn!" Two years of work down the drain. Thanks for the help, sister.

We will always have the "experts" with us. As one former boss said, "I don't wish them harm, but I do wish them away."

And I'm with you - except that while I don't think Wendy did anything wrong, neither do I think that the poster who challenged what she did is wrong either. I think her skin was too thin.

Let people talk. Wendy is free to ignore the other person and decide that she's doing the best she can in her situation. She's also free to decide he's right and learn something from him.
  • WendiWendi
    Wendi. It's spelled WENDI. :)

Just sayin'.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Good grief! Agree to disagree, but don't be disagreeable because you don't agree.

You say potayto, I say potahto.
    I study Plato, you play the Lotto.
    I say tomayto, you say tomahto.
    You roast a capon, I keep my cap on.

Right from the gate-o, I sing legato.
    But no debate, oh, you sing vibrato.
    Strum with a capo an aria da capo.
    But where I cain't go is singing bel canto.

Dance 'round the May pole, that would be top hole!
    It would be great, oh, down by the Grotto,
    Losing our Mo-Jo, playing some Mah-Jong,
    Playing with Play-doh, eating gelato.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
    Wendi. It's spelled WENDI. :)

Ah, yes that was the spelling that I had in the back of my mind and that I THOUGHT was correct. But then Gavin spelled it "Wendy" so I thought I must have remembered it wrong. Sorry!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gavin's in finals and been in Houston too long! ;-)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • GavinGavin
    And Wendy is my mother's name, so I tend to spell it correctly... ;)

seriously, Wendi, sounds like you've been doing admirable work, keep it up!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Would our lives be substantially changed if the post-conciliar chairperson for the missal was Msgr. Amiable Bugnini?
  • G
    It's the people in our churches we have to watch out for. And the trads are the worst.

Gavin, you do understand that although you quite rightly assert that everyone's situation is unique,and not really subject to judgement from those in other situations, (not in those words, but I think that was your point?) you then make a silly, sweeping assertion based on your limited experience?
    I know you have some ax to grind against those you call "rad trad fundies," but honest, IME people can match you horror story for horror story starring viilains of every liturgical or ecclesiastical stripe.

• CharlesW
    I have dealt with some of those "rad trad fundies" and they are every bit as bad as the aging flower children who want to give peace a chance. The solution would be a large boat in the middle of the sea with all of them on it. Then a storm of biblical proportions. Nah, it will never happen. LOL
  • WendiWendi
    What G said.

What Charles said too.

I have had the dubious pleasure of having people from both camps have a go at me. In the words of my fourteen year old...What EVER. I shall continue to attempt to strike a balance that serves my entire parish, not just small groups with an agenda. My approach has been to set reasonable boundaries (Rich Mullins Awesome God will NOT be making an appearance soon at my parish) while recognizing that the world will not come to a screeching halt if we sing On Eagles Wings once in awhile.

Of course that is my solution at my parish. As usual...YMMV.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • G
    Wendi, ya must be doin' something right, then!

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    Umnnhhhh....what's wrong with silence?
  • chonakchonak
    Dixit PGA:
    Personal criticism would be "Chonak is overweight."

However, it would be completely factual!
  • WendiWendi
    Aren't we all? Lent is far too short when one has weight to lose. Just sayin'.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    The Church should bring back the Lenten Fast as is was prior to Pius X (I think 'twas Himself): Completely meatless all of Lent, and only a certain number of OUNCES of food per meal per day, based on one's state in life. (Massive amounts of Purple here)