Instrumental music during Lent
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    What Liam said. Currently in that ghetto.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Well then enjoy the next 6 weeks.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • melofluentmelofluent
    After all, isn't Lent the time of year when we contemplate the seriousness of sin and remember Christ's journey in the desert? And, remember, the contemplative, quietness of Lent gives way to the joyful triumphant sounds of the organ come Easter.
    Careful, remember mentioning our Lord in the forum stifles a "decent discussion.";-)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Padster
    After much thought I acceded to the GIRM last night and the organ remained silent before and after mass. Unfortunately I still had to play it during imposition of ashes and communion. So I am still 'in the wrong'. Last night I actually yearned for the old days when I was part of a music group rather than stuck out on my own with this bloody instrument.

So there you go. I have had my creativity stifled for the next six weeks. I suppose it gives me time to do other things. What is this thing they call 'Clash of Clans'?

And Melo, I won't be baited by your remarks, purple or otherwise.

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • SalieriSalieri
    Padster - use those six weeks to really practice something BIG for Easter. By the time Advent/Lent comes round I'm usually thinking "Thank you God, no Postlude!"

Also, the liturgical rules (actually laws) are not there to stifle creativity anymore than the rules of music theory are there to stifle creativity. Often, it actually works the other way, because you can't just "do" what you want. IMO the reason why most modern art (including music and architecture) is complete and utter crapola is precisely because there "are no rules". The rules gave us Bach, Beethoven, Mendelsohn and Brahms; Poulenc, Tournemire and, yes, Messiaen.

Whether or not you are a believer, if you work in a Catholic parish it is your JOB to follow the rules and regs. of Catholic liturgical and musical praxis; just as I, as a Catholic, would be expected to do the same if I were DM at the Lutheran parish, whether or not I agree, because it is expected of me as part of my JOB.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Padster
    I don't believe. I am certain. And my certainty is often at odds with some of the man-made rules we must follow. I wish to serve God, but the Church seems to get in the way at times.

For instance, how do you reconcile these GIRM rules about Lent with "wear no forced air of solemnity"?

Just a thought.
    Best wishes,
    Padster
  • ghmus7
    Just to prolong this thread longer (possibly in hopes of experiencing more comments that provoke a laugh)
    What do you make of these two statements in the diocesean ordo:
    "During Lent...instruments may be played only to give support to the singing....Those preparing liturgical celebrations should attend to the purpose rather than the strict letter of this law as certain instrumental pieces, for example, may in the local situation indeed foster the spirit of the Lenten season"
  • SalieriSalieri
    Padster,

It is about Tradition. Lent is a paenitential season, and paenitential seasons have usually held on longer to the ancient practices of the Church, eschewing the later accretions. I will list some examples below, some of which were (unfortunately) expunged even before Vatican II, all of these refer to the traditional practices: pertaining to music, as contained in the Graduale Romanum (1961/74), not the Lectionary; pertaining to liturgical practice in general as contained in Fortescue's "The Mass: a study of the Roman Liturgy".

1) No organ or other instruments except to support the voices - the use of the organ is a late addition to the liturgy, therefore, Lent suppresses the organ in favor of the ancient practice.

2) The Tract replaces the Alleluia with its verse - the primitive method of chanting the psalm before the gospel is the tract, the alleluia is a later addition (its verse is even later, as a farcing or troping of the Jubilus (melisma on the final 'a' of alleluia)).

3) Folded chasubles replace the deacon's dalmatic - the chasuble was not considered exclusively an priestly vestment in the first centuries, and was worn by deacons as well priests, thus during Lent the dalmatic is suppressed and the chasuble is worn by the deacon. NB the folded chasuble was suppressed by Pius XII.

4) The Gloria in excelsis is not sung - the Gloria was originally only sung at the Bishop's Mass only on Christmas day, only later was it slowly added to other Masses, beginning with Christmas, therefore the 'Gloria' is suppressed in favor of the older practice.

There are more, but these are the first ones that come to mind.

It's not about creating a 'false air of solemnity', which usually refers to the Poo-Bahs of the world. Its about paring back the layers in order to get a look at the essentials: spiritually and liturgically. The Church in her wisdom has given us these laws in order to help us do just that. Occasionally the gardener needs to prune the trees in order that they not be a mess, and that they bear more fruit. Things are a mess today precisely because the various Church laws (liturgical and otherwise) regarding 'pruning' have not been heeded: everyone's own personal 'vines' are tangling around each-other unchecked. One of the most over-looked virtues in today society is obedience to legitimate authority.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Also, it's not 6 weeks, since you'll have to prepare a wonderful preludes/postludes for Laetare Sunday, the Solemnity of St. Joseph, and the Annunciation. Musicians need to learn to be creative within the context of what Holy Mother Church gives us. It's a wonderful thing - and I'm grateful that the Church gives us these directions.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Ben
  • This is an honest question, Salieri: um, what is a 'folded chasuble'?
  • BenBen
    MJO: the folded chausable was something used in the unreformed unreformed liturgy. :)

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2008/09/vestments-and-vesture-folded-chasuble.html

Do a quick google search, and you'll find more info on it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • hartleymartin
    Technically, mass is over with the dismissal, so a postlude is not specifically prohibited, but the sense of the legislation is to make things solemn such as playing quieter and slower music in mibor keys or modes.

For what it is worth, I usually avoid the upperwork and reeds on the organ during lent.
  • ronkrisman
    Technically, mass is over with the dismissal

This, or a similar statement, is often heard. But it's not correct because there is a rubric given in the Missal for the exiting of the priest after the "Thanks be to God":
    145. Then the Priest venerates the altar as usual with a kiss, as at the beginning. After making a profound bow with the ministers, he withdraws.

True, there is no chant given to accompany this action which corresponds to the introit. But a strong argument can be made that singing to accompany this exit processional is a custom praeter ius. It fulfills the 30-year requirement for a custom to have the force of law.
  • Padster, I recommend you read Gary Penkala's answer to this question over at CanticaNOVA - he's usually pretty good about these kinds of things.

Please don't be discouraged by perceived "man made rules"; playing the organ at all is in itself a human tradition not mandated by God. The Church, however, does have the authority to regulate worship, and we should be docile to that. Also, consider the implications of ignoring any liturgical law with the reasoning that our creativity is being stifled. What practice will not be allowed, if freedom of creativity is the only criterion?

Try to see these situations as opportunities for more creativity, not less. As was stated by those above, work on those Easter and Laetare Sunday pieces. Spend some time writing something. These are all great outlets for creativity.