How long will we accept mediocrity or worse?
  • Liam
    Charles

I'll bite.

No.

Consolations of that sort are primarily for those new to the faith, and meant to be an exceptional experience. The road to spiritual maturity is paved with the hard stones of detachment from reliance on consolations.

Also, note that the Russians did *not* have that experience with the Roman liturgy.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • CharlesW
    No, they didn't. The Roman liturgy had changed into its own identity by then. Had the Russians seen it in the height of the 4th century, they wouldn't have seen as much difference between the Roman and Greek practices. Those liturgies were more alike in the early imperial times - or at least when the west was more influenced by the imperial court.

Hard stones. There's that Roman love for suffering again. LOL.

I think every Sunday should be heaven on earth. When you walk through the temple doors, you are entering heaven and the outside world should stay outside. Sad to say, that is not so often the case in most places.
  • donr
    I think every Sunday should be heaven on earth. When you walk through the temple doors, you are entering heaven and the outside world should stay outside. Sad to say, that is not so often the case in most places

This!!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • G
    Consolations of that sort are primarily for those new to the faith, and meant to be an exceptional experience.

I'm not being argumentative, but why, meant by whom?
    The road to spiritual maturity is paved with the hard stones of detachment from reliance on consolations.

As a spiritually immature person, I'll take your word for it that it is, but must it be?
    Is one required to seek out the white martyrdom of shoddily conducted, catch-penny liturgies?
    Mind you, I can find heaven on earth in a very quiet "low" Mass in a black box, so I hope I don't "rely on consolations," but is that to say consolation shouldn't be universally available?
    And if we are capable, shouldn't we provide consolations that can provoke that reaction? I don't suppose we can be sure every person in the congregation will be so spiritually mature as to have no need...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    Although this is a comedy site, it is almost too close to reality to be funny.

http://www.eyeofthetiber.com/2012/10/25/folk-mass-band-upset-over-masses-interrupting-their-concerts/
  • francis
    I think the liturgy in a modern catacomb would be heaven on earth at this point compared to most of the tortures we have to endure every Sunday this day and age.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, I'd much rather be thrown to the lions than sing Glory and Praise to our God.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • Blaise
    Not in agreement with Liam, that these consolations are meant chiefly for those new to the Holy Faith. If that is the case, I would rather be new to the Holy Faith every day. No, I will bite: in a very real sense, we should all be new to Holy Faith every day, since none of us ever stops growing spiritually. In biology, we living creatures are doing one (or both) of the following: we are either growing or dying. We never are still. In like fashion, we humans are either spiritually growing or dying. It is not really possible for us to stand still while we are still on Earth. On that note, we need precisely the consolation mentioned above regarding the emissary of the prince in order to remind of us of Whom (capital letter is deliberate) we serve....no, of Whom we long to see when we finish the earthly voyage.

Each of us should remember from time to time Who (as above, capital letter is deliberate) it is we are meeting when we go to Mass: nothing else than His Majesty our God, in the Holy Eucharist. When we forget this, then our attitude leads precisely to the liturgical garble we sometimes get. It is just like preparing a meal for the President of the United States or the Prince of Monaco: we would be very attentive in thse matters. If so for them, who like you and I are mere mortals, what more for the King of the universe? Are the details not important for Him as well?

("Holy things for the Holy...."-from the Maronite Catholic Qurbono)

Matthew,

Nobody takes seriously the notion that going to Mass with Glory and Praise is worse than martyrdom. However, we are simply emphasizing that we should strive for the best we can offer to His Majesty.

(to be continued)
  • Blaise
    (Following off of CharlesW's post regarding leaving earthly matters behind at the temple doors--My continuation of the last post will be written later.)

From a Byzantine perspective, the Divine Liturgy (Mass) is supposed to occur, theologically, outside (emphasis) of time. Yes, we know it occurs at a certain earthly hour (9 o'clock AM, 3 o'clock PM, etc.)

The Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours), however, such as Matins or Vespers, is supposed to mark the passing of time. Therefore, ordinarily the Divine Liturgy and the Liturgy of the Hours are ordinarily not supposed to be combined, though there are exceptions of course (my Byzantine mission used, for example, the Matins of Pascha in 2012 which included the Divine Liturgy-the two were linked by the intercessions and the priest neither dismissed the people from Matins nor blessed the people for Divine Liturgy--in other words, it was one service, not two services).
  • francis
    Nobody takes seriously the notion that going to Mass with Glory and Praise is worse than martyrdom.

Going to Mass with G&P IS a form of martyrdom. It is the re-crucifixion of Christ in the image of His Church, and we all suffer the agony.
    Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • Blaise
    But is it a worse martyrdom, Francis, than being thrown to the lions?

We can make our case for reverent liturgy without overstating it. I hope you will find in the past posting that I have made a good argument for good liturgy without resorting to extremes. And I still have not finished my remarks from the first post ("To be continued"). It is a lengthy one, so I will need a proper computer to type on lest my hands get tired from typing on this Android. As long as the liturgy is not outright ridiculous (clown Masses and the like), it is bearable. But what I argue is this: should we stand for the bear minimum? While the Christians of old were able to make do with the bare minimum in time of persecution, should we not be able to advance the fine art of liturgy during peaceful times for the greater glory of God? That is, as I mentioned before, one of the Latin Church's strengths.
  • francis
    But is it a worse martyrdom, Francis, than being thrown to the lions?

One person being thrown to the lions would be terrible and painful. One person would suffer a moment.

But this is the great apostasy foretold to us. The entire Church is suffering an agony that continues on for days, weeks, months, years and now decades.

You tell me which is the worse in terms of overall tragedy.

We can make our case for reverent liturgy without overstating it. I hope you will find in the past posting that I have made a good argument for good liturgy without resorting to extremes.

Extremes? I think we are living in the most extreme period in the history of the Church. We are living in the 'eclipse' of the Faith. When Our Lady foretold this to us, she meant that we would be living without the light of Faith that the Church has always provided. She said that during this time "we would have nothing but the rosary and the Sign of Her Son."

Yea, I would say that is extreme. Overstating it? No. The world is on the brink of a great and difficult time and we are about to see it unfold.

As long as the liturgy is not outright ridiculous (clown Masses and the like), it is bearable.

It may be bearable for you, but I don't think God is going to bear it much longer. He will not be mocked and allow what is holy to suffer desecration without consequence.

should we not be able to advance the fine art of liturgy during peaceful times for the greater glory of God?

Liturgy is more the worship of God in spirit and in truth and not so much a 'fine art'. We are not in peaceful times. We are in the time of 'false peace', also foretold by Our Lady. We are in utter chaos and breathing the air of "diabolical confusion", and those that profess and carry THE truth live within the "catacomb", under the great patrocinium of the BVM.
    Thanked by 2teachermom24 donr
  • chonakchonak
    Attending a liturgy presented in a manner less than dignified is related to martyrdom: that is, it is an act of witness -- at least a reminder to ourselves -- that the Mass remains holy and remains the Sacrifice of Christ, even if it is surrounded with unsuitable music or impoverished preaching or inattentive faithful such as me.
  • Blaise
    When I was younger, Francis, I remember singing "Glory and Praise to our God."

As far as I remember, there was nothing heretical to it. Now, if I was in charge of music planning, would I choose it?

No.

But if the choice was between no Eucharist at all and Mass with "Glory and Praise", God knows which I would choose. Many Catholics, namely those in the former Soviet bloc countries who are influenced by the Russian Orthodox patriarchate, do not have the real freedom to attend a Catholic Eucharist. For them, persecution is very much real.

I am quite aware of the spiritual battle which is being waged in the secular sphere. But as far as I know, Obama is not dictating to Catholics what music to use at divine worship-unlike the ancient Romans, who dictated to the Christians under the pain of a tortuous death not to worship God at all.

Nevertheless, I still remain committed to the ideal that the Catholic Eucharist should have an "otherworldly" feel to it. I bring up the ancient martyrs, though, to remind everyone that Mass did not always have Palestrina and the like. I am assuming that the ancient Christians had to say Mass very quietly.

With that in mind, I will continue my remarks on "otherworldliness" tomorrow, and as it is nearly 11 o'clock here in most of Texas (U.S.), I bid you all a "peaceful night and a perfect end. Our help is in the Name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth" (Order of Compline).
  • francis
    Blaise:

Curious.

Are you an organist/choirmaster? If so, is it your profession?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Attending a liturgy presented in a manner less than dignified is related to martyrdom...

Poppycock, Richard, and an injury to the ranks of martyrs who gave ultimate and final witness. I cannot imagine St. M. Kolbe to the Blackfriars to those martyrd in far Asia over centuries caring a whit for the relative dignity of one music over another at service. As has been mentioned, the majesty and mystery of the Mass/Divine Liturgy exists extemporally and beyond our sensory capabililties and even the dimensions to which we are bound.
    Let us keep our eye on the ball, not the circle, and remember it is to Christ to whom we are called and answer, not the artifice of suitability according to.....
    I trust that no one need feel compelled to start quoting either scripture or legislative passages to bolster their contradictions, I'm well aware. An icon's efficacy will always remain in the sensibilities of the believer. Appeals to vainglory notwithstanding.
  • Blaise
    I will confess to you, Francis, that it is not, so if I said anything out of line, I humbly submit it for reproof to those in the know. I write, however, as a fellow worshipper and servant of His Majesty our God.

I will, however, use my profession, or at least the one I am training for, as an analogy for my remarks on "otherworldliness" tomorrow.
  • How long will we accept mediocrity or worse?

****Geico Commercial Spoiler Alert****

WELL ...Did you know that really good Sacred Choral Music came from the 60's, 70's,80's, & 90's.....??

...... 1760's , 1770's, 1780's,1790's ???

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • GavinGavin
    False.

Everything good was written before the 60's.

The 1760's.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Choirparts
  • There is a difference between Church disciplines and the commandments of God.

Church disciplines are important, and the Church was given authority by Christ himself.

But don't assume that God is grievously offended every time Church disciplines are not kept to the letter of the law in this fallen world.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ...... 1760's , 1770's, 1780's,1790's

... 1490's, 1500's, 1510's, 1520's, 1530's, 1550's, 1560's, 1570's, 1580's, 1590's, 1600's, 1610's, 1620's, 1630's ...

Fixed, thanks to the 30 persons listed below (as well as others):

Ockeghem: 1410/1425 – 1497
    Obrecht: 1457/8 – 1505
    Josquin: c. 1450/1455 – 1521
    Senfl: 1486 – 1542
    Taverner: 1490 – 1545
    Morales: c. 1500 – 1553
    Clemens non Papa: c. 1510/1515 – 1555 or 1556
    Crecquillon: 1505 – 1557
    Sheppard: c: 1515 – 1558
    Gombert: c. 1495 – 1560
    Willaert: c. 1490 – 1562
    Tye: 1505 – 1572
    Parsons: c. 1530 – 1572/1572
    Farrant: 1530 – 1580
    Tallis: c. 1505 – 1585
    A. Gabrieli: 1532 – 1586
    Handl (Gallus): 1550 – 1591
    Palestrina: 1524 – 1594
    di Lasso: 1532 – 1594
    Guerrero: 1528 – 1599
    Croce: 1557 – 1609
    Victoria: 1548 – 1611
    G. Gabrieli: 1553 – 1612
    Hassler: c. 1564 – 1612
    Anerio: 1516 – 1614
    Sweelinck: 1562 – 1621
    M. Praetorius: 1571 – 1621
    Byrd: ca 1540 – 1623
    Gibbons: 1583 – 1625
    Monteverdi: 1567 – 1643
  • francis
    Yea, once the baroque era passed, music went downhill altogether starting with WAM and company.
  • SalieriSalieri
    CHG: How can you forget Gesualdo?!?
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Perhaps it is overinflated to compare suffering bad liturgy to martyrdom, but parishioners are still in a position in which they have to "offer it up" when the only thing we should be offering up is worship. Bad liturgy is like static on a radio when you are struggling to get a clear signal. Nothing to get worked up about when the bad liturgy is incidental, but we are in an age of systemic badness. To paraphrase, static is sure to come, but woe unto him through whom it comes!
    Thanked by 2francis Jenny
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CHG: How can you forget Gesualdo?!?

My apologies ... being in a hurry is no excuse. Gesualdo wrote some beautiful music.
  • Perhaps it is overinflated to compare suffering bad liturgy to martyrdom, but parishioners are still in a position in which they have to "offer it up" when the only thing we should be offering up is worship.

Agreed. Bad liturgy surely causes suffering among the faithful whether they know it or not. As Leo Nestor always said, "That kind of music rots your teeth and erodes your faith."

Comparing this kind of suffering to martyrdom, though, cheapens martyrdom.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Liam
  • chonakchonak
    My point above was to highlight the original meaning of martyrdom: that is, not suffering and death, but witness; and that we all have opportunities to do that.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • francis
    Andrew:

There are two types of martyrdom. Red and White.
  • Agreed. And I have an equally hard time putting myself among white martyrs like John the Evangelist just because I was present during a happy-clappy song that time.
  • Liam
    Andrew

Gold-star answer. It's not white martyrdom. Melodramatising one's suffering in that way is a form of egoism.
  • francis
    White martyrdom has nothing to do with music.
  • G
    Mea culpa, I withdraw my hyperbole (I think I was the first to display that bit of egoism....)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Only I am given license to melodramatics, Geri.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • WendiWendi
    True Dearest...as you are the unquestioned virtuoso melodramatist on the forum. When the rest of us try, we just embarrass ourselves. :p
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Playing Schumann's Doppleganger as you speak!
  • I had the thought this morning at Mass that it would actually be quite simple and quick to transform our Masses to the sacred. All it would take is a priest who wants it. He would come in and get rid of the read-along missals and songbooks, and all the unnecessary "help" in the sanctuary. He would say, starting today we will have Mass with all the prescribed propers and we will stop singing hymns. We have a fabulous, very capable organist and cantors who can sing and lead the propers--it could happen over night. Some, but just a few, parishioners would protest (but not too loudly if the priest is strong) and I believe most all would go along with strong, clear leadership and very soon say, why haven't we had this before?

I don't believe it's a long, slow process. The priest directs the traffic in the parish. We are on our 3rd priest since arriving at our parish 6 years ago. I can see what power the priest has to determine the liturgy. It really is very simple.

Kathy
  • Scott_WScott_W
    All it would take is a priest who wants it.

And to get to Alpha Centauri, all you have to do is jump very high.

Pardon the quip because I agree 100% with you that a strong priest is all it would take. However, it would have to be a strong priest with his liturgical head screwed on right and the sad fact is most are formed in seminary in consensus and status quo of the Empire of Banality. The priest we are looking for is a niche of a niche, and when they first come out of seminary, they are going to probably be under pastors as the bishop bounces them around from parish to parish, and by the time he becomes a pastor himself, he's simply too worn out to fight for liturgy.

There are signs of hope. We have a young priest newly ordained celebrating the EF. He kept his mouth shut about his interest in the EF in the seminary. When they realized he was celebrating the EF, some squawked in disapproval, but there was nothing they could do about it. I asked a current seminarian who is assisting at the EF if he keeps it quiet and he said no, he is up front about it, and not only has no one given him grief, our newly appointed bishop encouraged him and told him we needed more priests to learn the EF.
  • We have a strong priest who almost single handedly destroyed the community by making things happen over night. After years of happy clappy "hoedown" style liturgy, the change came too fast and the vacant seats showed disapproval and insecurity by the people. The parish has turned around and the numbers are beginning to climb again. The music is all chant and hymnody. But it was a painful process for many people.
  • I think that most, in fact, nearly all, Catholics who still come to Mass come for the right reason, to find Jesus. I do believe this is true in our parish. But they have never been exposed to sacred music. If given the exposure, I do think most would realize the beauty and purpose of sacred music, and say, "Why haven't we had this before?" But it has to be all sacred, not just a smattering of sacred mixed in with the Glory & Praise.

Kathy
  • WendiWendi
    I think if the priest took the time to explain why the changes were being made and implemented them in a steady manner, the Mass could quite easily be restored quickly. Perhaps not overnight, but in a matter of months. The key is catechesis.

Father needs to talk about liturgy from the pulpit, and put web addresses to the documents in the bulletin. Or if there is enough space, put the documents themselves in the bulletin over a course of many weeks.

Will some people get huffy and go find shallow liturgy somewhere else? Sure. On the other hand, once word gets around what is going on...and word will get around, those who understand the significance of good liturgy will come.

teachermom is right though...it would take a very strong priest with thorough liturgical formation.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    But it has to be all sacred, not just a smattering of sacred mixed in with the Glory & Praise.
    TM24, how would you classify John Foley's MAY WE PRAISE YOU, SATB, within your two categories?
  • I actually have to take exception to the old advice to "explain why" you are changing things and the idea that people will be ok with it if they know why.

At one past parish I was at, a woman emphatically and scornfully said to me "They don't care WHY you are changing everything; they don't want it to change and this place doesn't feel like 'home' anymore. They couldn't care less WHY it is happening, just that it IS."

I don't really disagree with her. That seemed to be the sentiment. I was also accused of arrogance for always trying to teach people, and acting like I know better than them.

So, in some ways, I think the answer "because I said so" is actually less likely to be misconstrued.

Not that that is an answer either ... slow methodical change, with a supportive pastor is really the only way.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • At one past parish I was at, a woman emphatically and scornfully said to me "They don't care WHY you are changing everything; they don't want it to change and this place doesn't feel like 'home' anymore. They couldn't care less WHY it is happening, just that it IS."

Precisely. Explaining it means that you are justifying it and the response from many will be in opposition.

Every so often the Amish Bishop reads the Ordnung at the end of service. No discussion, no explanation of any changes. If you are not happy, pick up your black hat and leave.

I was also accused of arrogance for always trying to teach people, and acting like I know better than them.

Damn, they want Father to hire people who are and appear stupider than themselves?

Now THAT's LEADERSHIP!
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • "But it has to be all sacred, not just a smattering of sacred mixed in with the Glory & Praise."
    TM24, how would you classify John Foley's MAY WE PRAISE YOU, SATB, within your two categories?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what that is.
  • Yep, this was a very "special" place. Me saying that I might know more about music and liturgy than them, you know, because of my formal study, workshops, etc. was arrogant.

I'm not sure if they would have respected me more if I had the letters M.M. or M.A. or PhD after my name; maybe they perceived me as lacking in FORMAL liturgical education. Who knows.

Still - how many of them had even so much as been to an NPM convention (I'm deliberately setting the "education" bar really really low here)? Probably not many. But they knew it all!
  • dad29
    I think if the priest took the time to explain why the changes were being made and implemented them in a steady manner, the Mass could quite easily be restored quickly. Perhaps not overnight, but in a matter of months. The key is catechesis.

Father needs to talk about liturgy from the pulpit, and put web addresses to the documents in the bulletin. Or if there is enough space, put the documents themselves in the bulletin over a course of many weeks.

Been there, done that....and lost a job for it. The pastor we had was great. Knew his stuff, preached it, printed it...the whole 9 yards.

Then he was replaced by a fellow without a backbone; he was threatened, and caved.

The ironic thing was that I counseled the first priest to slow down a bit, and he did.

Oh, well.
  • G
    not sure if they would have respected me more if I had the letters M.M. or M.A. or PhD after my name

Are you a middle-aged guy?

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • Not quite, although that stage of life is inching closer by the year.

I'm in my early 30's.
  • WendiWendi
    The problem is that it doesn't matter which method of change you use, people will complain.

Go slowly you say? We've been doing that...for the past ten years. With three different priests. People complain and every time a new priest comes in they start beating the drum of "we want our Praise and Worship music back".

The priests in question have tried the "because I said so" method, and the "here's why we are doing it" method. Didn't matter. People still got angry.

At least if you explain why, and just do what needs to be done to restore the liturgy, those who really are concerned about growing in holiness will have that opportunity. Those who just want to be mad about it will be no matter what method you choose.

This has been my experience...as usual...YMMV.