• francis
    ...had destined me to play jazz on the B3 but God kidnapped me for musicasacra ...and now you're stuck with me ...for eternity. (sitting here drinking a fine red, and my homemade killer red clam sauce over linguini and "the Duke" all the way up... and thinking of you all. (ching, ching to my brothers and sisters in CMAA cyberspace... I am dying to meet all of you one day, and that may be the only way I finally do!)

It's a Friday night postin' kinda greeting!

In JMJ,

FK
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomboysuze
  • francis
    especially you, CHG... another composer cut from the same tapestry...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • TCJ
    Whew! You had a near escape then. Not everyone comes away unscathed when grappling with the dreaded foe often referred to as jazz.
  • francis
    love jazz tcj... u?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • TCJ
    I do my best to avoid it for the most part, with a few exceptions.
  • Weighing in pro jazz. Save for smooth jazz...
    Jazz and chant and groovy modes. The world ain't all bad.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I try to avoid the near occasion of jazz.
  • CharlesW
    Preservation Hall Jazz Band is the only kind of jazz I listen to.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Forgive me, but jazz taught me improvisation. jazz and Marcel Dupre and Charles Tournemire.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Gavin marajoy
  • I told one of my professors when I was in grad school that I did not have a jazz-y bone in my body. He disagreed, but did say that it was well hidden.
    Thanked by 2marajoy expeditus1
  • If it just happens that I hear jazz incidentally or by accident, I do find it of interest and somewhat engaging (depending of what kind of jazz it is). This is likely due to its Baroque-like improvisatory style and, in some cases, texture. Otherwise, there isn't anything that wouldn't be called 'classical' that I find tolerable... nor is even everything that would be called 'classical' worthy of the name.
  • donr
    hey if it's Jazz you want you should play "Sing of the Lords Goodness" by Ernest Sands an OCP favorite.
  • kevinfkevinf
    MJO,
    You should listen to Marcel Dupre's organ Prelude and Fugue in B major. The influence of jazz deeply felt. But jazz was very "in" in Paris in the 1920's.
  • TCJ
    I do like the "Jazz Suite" Waltz 2 by Shostakovich.
  • francis
    do you all like claude bolling?
  • TCJ
    I listened to a couple of pieces by him. I didn't hate it, but it's not something I would listen to over and over. Background music? Sure. Background music is something that won't make me pause to listen (for the most part) but also won't make me notice it because it's bad. I guess I'd say I'm rather indifferent to it overall. Come to think of it, it almost seems very fitting for an animated cartoon. Program music... that's what it is!
  • francis
    tjc

who r ur favorite composers?
  • TCJ
    Bach and Vivaldi.
  • Kevin -
    You are totally right. And, I do play the B-Major. To me, it's something of a lark... though a somewhat formidable lark? I've yet to program it for a recital. For me, L and A and M and T are far, far more rewarding.

Others -
    Um, What does 'who r ur favorite [sic} composers?' mean?

• gregpgregp
    MJO - those are abbreviations
    u = you
    r = are
    ur = your
    etc.
  • kevinfkevinf
    MJO,
    The B major is formidable. Its on my list after this latest round of recitals this fall. That and the Vierne 3rd.
    Yeah, I love those bloody French romantics.
  • francis
    MJO

u r allowed to address me directly on this forum
  • francis
    tcj

very good

me too on bach
    vivaldi not so much
    pachelbel is quite good however
  • I look forward to our organist doing the B major every year. Always thrilling! And it stays in my head for days afterward. I do hear the jazz, or at least the dancy-ness.