• MarkB
    The 2019 webinar for tips and new music ideas.
    https://youtu.be/j90jJP-1lHQ?t=8m31s

Thanked by 2chonak cesarfranck
  • I listened to five seconds of it and rapidly clicked it off.
    Do they think that we are all hill-billies?
    Is that really their vision of the Church?
    Thanked by 2CCooze cesarfranck
  • Jackson,

Yes, that's their vision of the Church: an anthropocentric social justice group which soothes the faithful by accompanying them in their self-affirmation, in more ways than one. They're proud of the relevant church which is prophetic, speaks truth to power and helps the Jesus in me meet the Jesus in you.

Mark,

Yes, this is one of the triumvirate of publishing houses. Sadly, these people heavily influence how the faith, such as it is, is handed on to the next generation. At one level, they're responsible for 3 generations of nones.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar afries52
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    That. Was. Abysmal.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CCooze
  • CharlesW
    OCP is trash. I don't buy their stuff and never will. That doesn't mean some of the other publishers are always better.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Right as I'm reading Fr. Jonathan Robinson's book on the Mass and Modernity...

I'm glad I'm out of basically all parishes that do this sort of music.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • dad29
    Wait, wait!! How about Broadway-esque stuff? Piano-bar stuff? Is that all gone??

• Yesterday I listened to the CD of new music that OCP put into the 2019 version of Breaking Bread. I think most of it is also on the video that Mark posted, but the CD recording is done professionally. My impression of this "new music" was that they are trying to promote drums, country, and popular schmaltz (e.g. an overabundance of deceptive cadences at the end of songs so they can repeat the last line of the refrain again), not to mention the poor theological content already mentioned. It was painful to listen to and I will probably not use any of this music at Mass.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I don't get it.
    I mean, maybe you could justify singing this stuff around a literal campfire, or at a book club, or something...

How does one even remotely equate this with sacred music for Mass, though??
  • 7 - 11 music. Sigh. And, using Christic in text. I have never purchased from OCP. Thanks for reinforcing my suspicions.
  • eft94530eft94530
    At timestamp 3:25 is a poll ..

What are the primary sources you turn to in selecting music for the Liturgy?
    a. Liturgia y Cancion / Todays Liturgy
    b. The Sunday readings from the Lectionary for Mass
    c. A liturgy planning program like Liturgy.com
    d. The prayers and antiphons from the Roman Missal
    e. Other

.. that creates dissonance with the GIRM # 48 ordering

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20030317_ordinamento-messale_en.html

In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Entrance Chant: (1) the antiphon from The Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the Conference of Bishops or the diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song similarly approved by the Conference of Bishops or the diocesan Bishop.[55]
  • MarkB
    Thanked by 2Carol cesarfranck
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't want to spoil the party but... this thread is a yuuuge "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" in terms of commentary.
    Why give Portland the time of day?
  • Liam
    I know there are regulars who who detest W.A. Mozart, but he did know something pertinent to this kind of thing (for them that can't stomach the prolonged joke, start at the 19:35 mark for the crash-bang ending):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFPoRmsiFzc

Thanked by 1chonak
  • Half of these songs just downright have no liturgical use, let alone are appropriate. It's like that abuse crisis hymn posted here a few weeks ago - when would you use it? Are any of these composers active music directors? Do they even step foot in a Catholic Church?
  • francis
    Liturgical abuse. Have nothing to do with it. It is in league with the NO.
  • ryandryand
    5:40

“Hit the ground running ... with at least a HALF-DOZEN or so new songs that you want your groups to learn...”

Really pushing the choristers hard this year, eh?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Right?! A half-dozen of THOSE songs should be able to be learned in about 45 minutes.
  • Liam
    The 2015 Joncas work struck me as derivative and formulaic, and the latter not in a good way (litanies can be formulaic in a good way). I don't see how it fills a need better than other hymns in the active repertoire, other than the need of musicians to Try Something New.

I was surprised to see A. Peloquin's "In Memory Of You" revived from a generation of mothballs as New. I have a soft spot for some things of his, and this setting was a way to re-introduce Latin to communities still in the thrall of the PTSD reaction to Latin back in the day (as in, "Don't worry, the congregation can stick with the English and is not forced to sing Latin, which the schola will sing").
    Thanked by 2MarkB CHGiffen
  • MarkB
    Peloquin's song uses the Ave Verum Corpus chant but added an English refrain for the assembly to sing. Ave Verum isn't a difficult chant. A choir and assembly can learn to sing the Latin and the melody easily, and it's beautiful to hear a full assembly singing it. Does OCP publish the real Ave Verum in its music issue? They should.

It's at 29:00 in the video, for anyone interested, but they don't perform the piece.
  • Maureen
    "Hallelujah Is Our Song" is actually more of a bad grunge folk than a Seventies folk.

1. Male singer singing tonelessly in a bad range for him. On purpose.

2. The most boring possible arrangement, most terrible strum pattern, and the least melody ever; maybe two chords if that. The chorus sounds somewhat better, but only by contrast to the terrible first couple of verses.

If it went another 25 boring verses, it would ascend to the dignity of a bad "pizza song." (A song where you order pizza when it starts, and the pizza arrives while the singer is still droning away at it.)

The beauty of this song is that anyone, including someone singing offkey and playing guitar on their first day, can make a better cover of this song than the OCP guy. It'd be extremely easy to make up harmony, and to liven up this dead corpse of a cover. (But yeah, it'd be better not to waste cash on it.)
  • Maureen
    "God of Might and God of Mercy" isn't new, I don't think. I remember running across a song before, that misquoted St. Augustine in order to call God "ever ancient, ever new" (instead of the Church). So either there are two of them, or it was this junk.

Other than that, it's a typical laundry list song, not great but not the worst. I could do without the SJW bit.

That soprano. Okay, I understand the pain of being middle-aged and sometimes shrieky, because sometimes I go sharp too. But why did they record it?? Is OCP finally admitting that they set their songs in keys that the parish can't sing?

(It is possible that the sound is overly compressed, and that the lady was less shrieky than the audio file registered her as being.)
  • Maureen
    I do like the lady who's all excited about the octavos. She's a little more warmed up on this song, and the range is kinder.

"Carry Me Home" seems to have an acceptable melody, but the words... um.

Why would you avoid rhyme in the verses? Why would you avoid most actual religious content? I mean, you don't have to have a theology lecture, but the first verse is nothing but a refrain.

In the chorus, the scansion and wording is clumsy in "As my last prayer ascends/'Round me fam'ly and gentle friends." Blehhhhh. I mean, seriously, why didn't the editor call for a rewrite?? Also, a prayer on your deathbed is obviously not going to be your "last prayer" -- unless you are going directly to Hell. (Do not pass GO, do not collect eternal life.)

In the second and third verses, I am frankly puzzled about the lyricist's theological stance. Are we promoting "soul sleep" now, or the idea that memories are everything, or what? It's not exactly heretical; but it's not clear and straightforward teaching for those in grief or those preparing for death.

We do actually have a lot of songs about Christian death in the Catholic tradition, so why not rip them off for ideas?

Sorry for commenting in so much detail, but I have a terrible feeling that my current parish will be acquiring these songs. It's better I should snark now than at practice.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Maureen
    The list of "OCP Hidden Gems" was interesting. The presenter is distressed that "Comfort, Comfort, O My People" isn't popular enough, when he's spent his whole career getting rid of that kind of music.

There were a few bleh or theologically iffy things that obviously should be unpopular!

Also interesting, if you waded far enough, was a Q & A session at the end. They encouraged cantors to step away from the mike, and to use quieter amplification levels so that the congregation can hear themselves.

So there is hope!

(Alas, they followed this up by telling people to be sure to signal the congregation to sing, with nods and arm gestures and all that unnecessary crud. Two steps forward, one step back.)
  • ryandryand
    I prefer the use of giant cue cards. Comic Sans is an attractive and easily readable font.
  • francis
    Somebody... ANYBODY... help these people move on to a true purpose in life... ANY other purpose besides this!

The only place these songs should ever be sung is very very deep in the wilderness where it can be said "If an OCP musician plays in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it even matter?”

This is why silence is golden.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/silence_is_golden

(Like MJO I could not bear more than a few seconds. When we go to mass and often there is music such as this, my wife says, “offer it up in reparation.” I always reply, “this is NOT an opportunity for reparation. Reparation occurs BEFORE you are consigned to hell.”)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b0950671-902c-449d-bdcf-6c3a08772929
  • CharlesW
    As I noted in an earlier post about OCP - DON'T BUY THEIR STUFF!!! It's an easy fix and you will sleep well at night with no regrets.
  • dad29
    ANY other purpose besides this!

Save one: priesthood.

this is NOT an opportunity for reparation

Fine, then, fussy tailor! PENANCE. There are two sorts of punishment for sins: eternal and temporal. Obviously, you sinned.
  • I agree OCP is trash. It will be continued to be rammed --- never mind.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Since I have no desire to gouge my ears out I'll pass.
    And in doing so I'll quote Dr. Evil,
    "There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFI0NEsXenk
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen