How to acknowledge hymns publised under Creative Commons 3.0
  • AMAJ
    I'm printing a worship aid for one-time use and including hymns from this page. (My gratitude to those who worked to post those).

I see the hymns are published under Creative Commons 3.0 licensing, but I need some guidance on the proper way to acknowledge them in the program. Could someone please provide me with correct wording?

Also...is there any chance those hymns are available as Finale files so I could delete the bass clef and alto parts so as to print only the melody line in order to save program space?

Thanks!
  • a_f_hawkins
    This is not advice!. Following the link on that page to the Creative Commons 3.0 licensing page is like being thrown into a tar pit. I see that some items, such as the fourth one Behold, How Like A Monarch, have acknowledgement lines and some do not. I would assume that I just needed to reproduce the PDF as it stands. But then I am in a country far from Uncle Sam's eagle eye.
  • I'd be glad to check/provide the finale files for you.

On second thought, I've attached an xml file of the PBEH hymn library for all to use - XML can be opened by many, if not all, music notation programs for printing.

This is advice! While you need to list the CC info, it can be greatly reduced in size as long as it is readable - and could all be grouped at the end of the document - as found in many hymnals.

noel@sacredmusiclibrary.com
    Thanked by 3a_f_hawkins chonak AMAJ
  • Kathy
    Acknowledge them the American way, with cash ;)
    Thanked by 1SacredMusicLibrary
  • chonakchonak
    For the sake of simplicity, AMAJ, could you name a couple of the pieces you are using from that page, so that we can respond more specifically?
  • AMAJ
    All of the hymns I'm using are in the public domain (none of them have an acknowledgement line included).
    They are:
    All People That On Earth Do Dwell
    Crown Him With Many Crowns
    For the Beauty of the Earth
    Godhead Here in Hiding
    Hail Holy Queen, Enthroned Above
    Holy, Holy, Holy
    Let All Mortal Flesh
    Praise to the Lord

• AMAJ
    And thank you very much Noel!!!
  • chonakchonak
    Public domain texts and music require no acknowledgement. If you want to include information on authors and composers, for interested readers, that's up to you.

If you make your own score using the XML data Noel posted above, then that design is your work, and you hold the copyright on that.

If you reproduce the downloadable sheet music from musicasacra.com, by default Noel holds the copyright on it, since he made it. Since he agreed to grant a Creative Commons license on it, then you can use it and credit it with something like:
    Sheet music for the hymns [names here], copyright by Noel Jones, noel@frogmusic.com, used with permission under a Creative Commons 3.0 license. For information see creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

in six-point type :-)
    Thanked by 1AMAJ
  • AMAJ
    Thank you so very much!
    (Also I note Noel's different email domain in his comment above).
    Once again I am so grateful for this forum and for all you good people willing to take the time to reply with your explanations and expertise.
  • We are shifting Sacred music out of Frog Music to try and simplify searches for our original customer base of Rodgers Organ owners at www.frogmusic.com with www.sacredmusiclibrary.com carrying the sacred music.

Jonathan Eason shared and did a lot of the music and design of the PBEH and it all is the brainchild of the revered Jeffrey Tucker who one day called and said, "What about creating a PBEH now that we have a PBC?"

This would have never gotten done without them...and I believe the XML file idea was straight from Jonathan - it's a great help to blind members who are able to convert the hymns to Braille using the XML.