Cantoring - what it typically is and how this could be bettered.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This thread has come off the rails. On Thanksgiving.
    How'd we all like to be cantors in Syria or Iraq? No thanks.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Kyle,

It sounds as if St. Jude, St. John Vianney, St. Nicholas and St. Athanasius need to be called in to help out.

The saddest part of what I read was that this is considered normal by someone. That kind of nonsense isn't what led me to seek out the older form, but if I hadn't found it when I did, and endured what you describe instead, it would have.
  • Never realized I should be grateful that the priests I cantor for don't talk about me during their homilies...yikes!
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Announcements. (Say all announcements that the priest will repeat before the blessing and dismissal).

When our rector was away for a week, our parochial vicar (after his homily) said, "this week we are going to try something new. Please read your bulletin for parish announcements."

I always hate when priests have to make a final announcement before the last blessing.
    Just give us the last blessing and "end" Mass, please, and then give whatever announcements, if necessary!
  • Kyle -
    Considering what you have to do and put up with, why do you 'serve' in that role at that church?
    Why do you submit to being humiliated, during mass yet!, by a priest-nut.
    Why do you even go to that church?
  • a_f_hawkins
    A belated reaction to Fr Krisman's correction of me:
    A cantor + the congregation.
    If GS puts the congregration in loco chori, which it arguably does, does it need someone to direct it? Just asking.
    If yes, does that not extend to all the music intended to be alternated cantor/congregation?

Usually when I attend choral Evensong in an Anglican Cathedral, I can find a place in the choir stalls. If I sit in the nave of a cathedral with a traditional screen, all I can see is the choirmaster, apparently carving the music from thin air. This was even more distracting from the nave of St Paul's last time I went there (not the present director of music), despite the lack of a screen.
  • KARU27
    The comments reveal the problem - - as usual. There's something weird about what priests think is musically ideal. How to fix it? Presumably most American bishops are equally misled.

Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • KyleM18
    The problem probably stems from lack of education. Well, doesn't everything! I truly wonder what is taught in seminary regarding music sometimes.

Admittedly, though, it is not all that bad. The music choices are pretty good, and I'm easy to work with (too easy, probably), so I stay. Besides, the priest does everything in good nature (although contrary to the nature of the mass).
  • dad29
    I think a solo voice singing propers is mere legalism and, as such, anathema. If there is not a least a small schola cantorum, forget propers.

And you come to this conclusion exactly how?
  • G
    Stop me if I've told this before...
    not everyone can see/read the number board, especially a number of the older folk. I have played at parishes where they didn't announce hymns, and that was a common complaint.
    At my last parish I was walking down a side aisle to return to the loft after placing the numbers on the hymnboard,1/2 hour o so before Mass.
    A man seated in the pew grabbed my arm as I passed and hissed loudly, "I can't read those numbers!"
    I pointed to the hymnboard not 15 ft in front of us at the end of the aisle and asked, "Those numbers?"
    "No, I can read those, but" he whined, pointing to the hymnboard on the other side of the nave, "I can't read THOSE numbers!"
    "You know they're the same numbers, right?"
    "Yes, but I can't READ them."
    I mumbled some kind of apology 'cause that's what you do with old people, and scurried back to the loft, deciding that I really did prefer anonymous letters of complaint, after all.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Interesting thread. At my Cathedral where I’m the DM, we celebrate mass in 3 languages {3 in English, 4 in Spanish, 1 in Vietnamese) as well as an EF mass with a small schola. 2 of our Spanish masses utilize organ and cantor. Due to the holiday weekend, both my Hispanic cantors took this Sunday off, leaving me to sing and play. I simply sang and played the psalm and gospel acclamation, and left the congregation without a cantor for the hymns and Ordinary. Surprise, surprise...they did just fine on their own. (And coincidentally, we did a couple of pieces with Fr. Kirsman’s name on the credits). I’m also fond of muting the cantor microphone on hymns and the Ordinary to gauge how the congregation sings without an amplified voice...I do this sometimes as my singers forget what I tell them their first job is as cantors, “use your ears and listen.” Again, they usually do just fine, but not always. Having been raised Protestant, I’ve always been dumbfounded about this need for a cantor. Even last week, someone complained about not hearing the cantor...at the mass with the cathedral choir. Um, well you see, there is no cantor when the choir is present. The complainer was perplexed. We also use service leaflets with all the music in them, so no announcing hymns at all.
    Thanked by 2tsoapm MarkS
  • In contrast to above, it almost seems to me that a cantor is more valuable than a choir in regard to getting the faithful to sing. When you have a choir, the faithful just tend to sit back and let the choir do the singing, unless it is a beloved and well known hymn that they are singing, and then everyone sings.

In the Maronite church I attend, there is a cantor who is very skilled in getting the faithful to sing. He begins a hymn, and then drops out so that the people hear their own voices. He weaves in and out with the faithful, chanting a phrase here, then not chanting a phrase there, so the people sing the phrase alone, and then he comes in again. The faithful respond with a robustness that I seldom hear in the Latin churches. Also, he cannot be seen by anyone. They only hear his voice, the better to focus on what he is chanting, rather than focus on him.

I know that "choirs are to be assiduously developed..." in the Latin West, but, if it is important (and it is) that the faithful sing their parts at Mass, a cantor seems to me to be more suited to the task of encouraging such singing. And so, I think cantors are invaluable. More important than a choir even.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    Surprise, surprise...they did just fine on their own.

I have had Sundays when the cantor was ill and I couldn't get a replacement at the last minute. I wouldn't try singing psalms or responses since my voice decided it had had enough some many years ago. The pastor started the entrance hymn and the congregation joined in. The psalm was read and the pastor sang the Gospel Acclamation without accompaniment. I gave the usual introductions to the parts of the Ordinary and the congregation came in without hesitation. Having a cantor helps but life and mass can go on without one.
    Thanked by 1Matthew
  • CCoozeCCooze
    When you have a choir, the faithful just tend to sit back and let the choir do the singing

While I'm not sure this is something that can hold much weight on its own, I can see it being true.
    Usually, the organ will drop out and our choir will sing at least 1 verse of hymns a capella, and in those moments, you can feel the confusion in the air... "do we not sing this verse? Is this verse the choir's "solo" for this part of Mass?"
    I get interesting congregational feedback from my mom, who asks, after Mass, if something was "supposed" to sound a certain way, or if we were purposely trying to stop the congregation from singing, etc..

I could elaborate on this, but it would create another subject (which this sort of did, sorry!).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    I gave the usual introductions ... and the congregation came in without hesitation.
    AND
    you can feel the confusion in the air... "do we not sing this verse?
    Surely the congregation needs to know what is expected of it, and not letting them know is as disastrous as not letting the choir know. But whether you need a conductor, a cantor, the celebrant (or deacon), an organist, or just routine habit, depends on circumstances.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    We do good to get 10% of the congregation to sing. Most of them don't want to sing and would prefer to just get the whole thing over with so they can get to more important things, like football. (Of course, I'm from Texas where the state religion is football.)
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Cordova - I always love coming down from the choir loft to receive communion, because I always catch the folks leaving mass immediately after receiving to catch the game. Because, you know, Somatolatry is a jealous religion.

It's one of the few instances where a glare of righteous indignation feels perfectly right.
  • I once knew a pastor (back around the time of The Council) who on one or two occasions ordered the ushers to lock the doors so that no one could leave before the mass had ended. I remember nurturing a certain Schadenfreud over their well-deserved frustration.

I was, when I first really encountered Catholic culture (such as it is), absolutely shocked that people would come to church (in everyday casual costume, yet!) and leave before it was over. This only reinforced my Episcopalian righteous indignation. (Ha! and to think that they say WE aren't Catholic!?) Leaving church before the liturgy has ended is unthinkable, pitiful, sad - and callous.

I have not to this day overcome my utter bewilderment at those who actually walk out the door right after having received their Lord. And to think that something so wretched as a 'game' would detemine when or whether one went to mass.
  • I'm planning on putting posters on the doors - I'm sure many of you have seen them:

• How'd we all like to be cantors in Syria or Iraq? No thanks.

I dunno - the Muslims seem to have the right idea. The muezzin can chant from the relative safety of the minaret, far from the prying eyes of any clergy . . .
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • KyleM18
    How'd we all like to be cantors in Syria or Iraq? No thanks

Depends. Is it a Maronite church? I still can't get over the beauty of the eastern rites- and the fact that they have cantors that serve a good purpose.
  • Liam
    " It's one of the few instances where a glare of righteous indignation feels perfectly right."

Lost verse: Luke 18:13b - He also said, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this Pharisee."
  • ronkrisman
    Judas: The First Catholic to Leave Mass Early

Judas? "Catholic?" There's nothing in the New Testament that indicates he was ever baptized!
  • There's nothing in the New Testament that indicates he was ever baptized!

Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing definitive about any of the apostles being baptized by Jesus... there is a reference to baptism in the Jordan by John (and Judas would have been involved in that). Regardless, are we truly sola scriptura now?
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • We do good to get 10% of the congregation to sing. Most of them don't want to sing and would prefer to just get the whole thing over with so they can get to more important things, like football. (Of course, I'm from Texas where the state religion is football.)

Once again on my campaign to return to the past to improve the future:

Why are we trying to force the people to sing?

Having early Sunday morning and Saturday evening spoken Masses reaches those for whom attending the Mass is important to them. (Once again, Mass without music is still a valid Mass, which does conflict with beliefs of a few members of this group and I apologize for offending them with a fact.)

Organ music might be played, if desired, as long as the organist does not play longer than necessary to fill the time of the offertory and communion processions.

This then frees up at least 2 or even 3 cantors, permitting them to be in the choir, which should be mid-morning on Sunday and take time for those who want to attend a longer, musically-enriched Mass.

A noon low spoken Mass for those who want to attend Mass but due to employment or care of relatives, for example, cannot get free in the morning and would welcome this opportunity to attend Mass.

Suddenly, we have ALL the musical people in the parish concentrating their efforts on that one Mass.

The organist can choose to play at the other Masses, getting paid, if they wish.

This also eliminates the problem of last minute cantor training just before Mass disturbing those who come to prepare in prayer.

This eliminates the problems experienced by Carol (are you still here, Carol?) by trying to be an effective cantor when there is no historical model for a song leader/cantor/Gospel Alleluia Verse and Psalm singer to follow.

But the psalm HAS to be sung by a cantor and the congregation. Hardly. This new invention has failed.

Returning to spoken low Masses and concentrating all music efforts on the Sung Mass would immediately raise the overall quality of Music at Mass throughout the land.

What about guitar masses? Have them return to their roots as well, celebrating in the school gymnasium, a different atmosphere for a different Mass. Rid the liturgy of all the ceremonial aspects, as was done in the 70's and return to the Folk Mass. For many people it was the folly of going to Mass in the gym that attracted them.

Thanked by 2Incardination cmb
  • Noel,

It's true that a spoken Mass without any music is still valid. Nevertheless, it is fitting and even desirable to have the proper music sung and played at Mass.

I'll go out on a limb, at the risk of offending some here: Low Mass has a place within the Church's liturgical sphere, in part to allow the musicians to remember their proper place and the proper focus of the liturgy itself. [Hint: the Mass isn't chorocentric].

On the other hand, Noel, the proper place for the Guitar Mass is.......oblivion.
  • ...isn't chorocentric].

Your point, Chris, is well taken. Whilst we all need reminding that the mass isn't all about the music we love to grace it with, it is debatable that the mass 'isn't chorocentric'. This flies in the face of documented tradition from the very earliest of times, both East and West, to the effect that the mass is sung in its entirety. The East has never forgotten this. The West evolutionally qualified sung-not sung liturgy from the mediaeval era, and since Vatican II has practically thrown the concept in the dust bin; though, on paper, it teaches that the sung, or choral, mass is normative. True, the mass isn't about its music; but neither is the mass whole without its music. A certain 'chorocentricity' seems, to me, to be essential. The ritual and its music are inseparable components of a whole.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Jackson,

I'm trying to find the right word, without resorting to either a German compound or a sheer neologism.
  • the proper music

So The Propers are more important than singing the greatest hymn of the church, the Gloria?
  • Hmmm. I think "normative" might depend on the period of Church history. The Missa Cantata (for example) didn't exist until the 17th century. What is certainly true for the Tridentine Mass is that the distinctions (Low, Sung, Solemn, etc.) connote ever-increasing solemnity, and therefore ever-increasing degrees of honor and glory that are, inherently, rendered to God - hence the importance of the elevated forms of Mass when circumstances permit.
  • 'Normative' is what is supposed (expected) to be done at all times and at all places. What is 'normative' and what is 'normal' are not, sadly, always the same thing. Historically, from the very earliest witnesses of such things, the normative (and normal!) practice was for the mass to be sung, all of it, from the first to the last syllables. It has been duly noted that the mediaeval era and the periods after it opened the door for the 'low mass' (so that every last monk-priest could say his own mass at a multiplicity of side chapels - at the expense of the conventual high mass). The renaissance and baroque added to this the novelty of 'progressive' solemnity and various shades thereof. Nowadays, Roman rite priests have the singular distinction of not even being taught to sing (much less be required to sing) what for half the church's history was a cultural and ecclesiastical given - the totally sung mass. Any less is less than what, historically, was (and should remain) 'normative'. The notion of progressive solemnity is relatively new-fangled and is an excuse for liturgical laziness.

At Walsingham there is a conventual solemn high mass every Sunday and Solemnity. Everything imaginable is sung. What changes with feast and season is the music, the organ, the propers, the vesture - NOT the singing of all of the mass itself.

Progressive solemnity as it is understood by most people in our time is no more than an excuse not to give the mass (and the Lord) its due.

(Oh, and did I forget to give the Irish and their 'low church' mentality credit for their role in the sad state of American liturgy?)
    Thanked by 2hilluminar bhcordova
  • Nowadays, Roman rite priests have the singular distinction of not even being taught to sing (much less be required to sing) what for half the church's history was a cultural and ecclesiastical given - the totally sung mass.

Well said.
  • CharlesW
    I don't understand the non-singing part. Eastern priest and deacon candidates are sent back to the seminary for retraining if they can't sing the liturgy. If they don't learn, they don't get ordained. It is that important. When I say "singing" I really mean chanting. There is a difference. One doesn't have to be a world class singer to chant.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Noel,

Don't put words in my mouth. The Gloria is proper to Mass. It belongs there. It isn't Proper to the day, but that's not what I said.

Chant is proper to the Mass. Polyphony is very much at home at Mass.
    Guitars and microphones are neither proper to the building nor the action taking place there.
  • MJO, I understand the point you are making... but balance in all. There is a value to the Low Mass, even though - all things being equal - we would rather have the elevated form of Mass when feasible. It is rather like lamenting that individual priests and clerics pray the office rather than singing in choir. Yes, although preferable to have clerics sing the office, there is a reason - and a value - for individual recitation.

Just as we rightly strive for a degree of diversity in music - chant which perhaps speaks more to the intellectual; polyphony which perhaps speaks more to the emotional, so there is value in diversity of liturgy - the low Mass which perhaps appeals more to the contemplative contrasted to the sung forms of Mass which perhaps speak more to those more active.

Ceding the point about what the Church would prefer doesn't negate the value of what is allowed.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • MJO - I totally agree. Incardination - When reading your above post, I get the feeling that I am hearing possibly the spirit of the "Screw Tape Letters." I hope not and please forgive me if I get that feeling. CharlesW - I love spending time watching, hearing and enjoying Russian Orthodox liturgies and the glorious music and GREAT singing not only of the choir but clergy too on youtube.
  • Well, I must say, Ken of Sarum, I did not read Screwtape into Incardination's reply to my comment. I thought that it was charitable and reasoned. Obviously we view this matter from different poles, but I do appreciate his quite rational thoughts.

To be realistic, some of us will, no doubt, need to accustom ourselves to the circumstance that what has been Normative historically will not likely become so again (even though it is implied and implicit in the verba of Vatican II). This is sad. One can even rationally think it evidence of a gross spiritual sickness. But, we are up against a culture that has destroyed its true self; a thing which is part and parcel of the general suicide of Western Civilisation. Some of us weep for it. Most are fiddling while it burns - some are even stoking the flames. Pray that I am wrong - very wrong.

(Goodness! I am a congenital Optimist, yet I write some rather negative assessments.
    All is not lost - but we have a lot of work to do! - and the Faith to keep!)
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Carol
    Interesting discussion. I won't take offense at the guitar comments, as I said in a different discussion, my husband accompanies me on very tasteful classical-style guitar arrangements (NEVER ching-a-ching-a-ching-a). We were asked by the previous pastor to provide music at Mass when our parish was between organists. We know our role is to focus on the Mass not detract from it. My question, when the pews are full of missals which contain mostly dreadful hymns that are poorly composed or full of "humanistic" lyrics or both, and the people have been trained to expect that, how do you move to something better?

Second, our new pastor came from a big city parish and would like a choir to sing each week in addition to preparing music for Midnight Mass and the Triduum. What we are doing now is having a small choir made up primarily of those who are cantors at other Masses sing as a choir at the first Mass of each month and this means we are attending 2 Masses on the weekend when we sing as a choir. Our parish isn't big enough to field a real choir that sings in 3 or 4 parts every week. Managing expectations of what is realistic is challenging and sometimes I am not sure our pastor would be able to tell if we just had "the unison choir." At that point all you have done is collected the singers up in the choir loft.

Third, do all Masses have to be the same musically? Mass isn't about any particular style of music it's about worship. Can't we offer a variety of levels/styles of music in the Masses on Sunday and let people find the one which leads them to the best and deepest worship? However, I am not saying things that are truly incorrect should be permitted at Mass.
  • Carol,

Can't we offer a variety of levels/styles of music in the Masses on Sunday and let people find the one which leads them to the best and deepest worship

The result of such a policy, even assuming
    I am not saying things that are truly incorrect should be permitted at Mass.
    is that the priest has as many different parishes as there are intentionally bifurcated musical styles.
  • KoS, I apologize for being obtuse. I presume you don't mean to paint me as a minion of Satan :) but any other reference is unfortunately lost on me. I was never a big fan of CS Lewis and consequently never read the book. Can you perhaps clarify? I promise not be be offended even it was intended as an insult, gentle or otherwise.

MJO, I always respect and value your opinion even where I disagree. In this case, I don't know that our apparent disagreement is more than a nuance of understanding.

...need to accustom ourselves to the circumstance that what has been Normative historically will not likely become so again (even though it is implied and implicit in the verba of Vatican II). This is sad. One can even rationally think it evidence of a gross spiritual sickness. But, we are up against a culture that has destroyed its true self; a thing which is part and parcel of the general suicide of Western Civilisation.

Perhaps Don Quixote would have been a better comparison than Screwtape (but I'll wait for KoS to clarify). I don't believe I have false illusions about what will be "normative" in the future, or the state of the Church today... but my job is not to assess how I think the battle is going, my job is merely to fight the fight to the best of my ability and with the tools at my disposal. In my case, that means as a liturgical musician.

Mme and I had a brief conversation in another thread along the same lines - i.e. the value of the Liturgy regardless of outward form; regardless of attendance. From my perspective, the Liturgy is that body of worship, following rules (i.e. rubrics) identified in "liturgical books", as offered by one authorized to act on behalf of the Church. This body of worship is always offered in the name of; with the voice of; and on behalf of the Universal Church.

What this means is that the cleric in major orders (the authorized minister in this case) who reads his breviary is not offering a personal prayer to God. He is praying in the name of; with the voice of; and on behalf of ALL members of the Universal Church - Church Militant, Church Suffering, Church Triumphant. The priest who celebrates a private Mass is not offering a private act of worship - he is offering a sacrifice in the name of; with the voice of; and on behalf of ALL members of the Universal Church.

The intrinsic worth of these liturgical offerings is NO DIFFERENT than the intrinsic worth of the corresponding conventual liturgical offering in the Cathedral church. A Mass offered privately is no less a Sacrifice than the Mass offered with 1,000 in attendance and sung by the choir. Both are part of that body of worship of the Universal Church. Both are capable of conferring an INFINITE amount of grace. Both are true re-enactments of Calvary.

The inherent value of the Liturgy is not found in the beauty of the music any more than it is found in the holiness of the celebrant or the number of people in attendance. These characteristics (and others besides) are accidental to the act of worship, itself.
  • CharlesW
    Second, our new pastor came from a big city parish and would like a choir to sing each week in addition to preparing music for Midnight Mass and the Triduum.

I tell my pastor we could have the best, most professional choir in town, if he can come up with the funding. That ends the discussion fast. LOL. Of course, I know we are short on money and it can't happen.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I understand the idea of progressive solemnity as the Consilium's attempt to move parishes from predominantly read Masses to sung Masses. Bugnini's account of the first demonstration of the new liturgy 'the Missa Normativa' p 349, starts:
    The Mass was to be thought of as a Sunday Mass in a parish church, with the participation of a congregation, a small choir, a lector, a cantor, and two servers
    He admits it was a flop, and gives a number of excuses about the venue (the Sistine Chapel) and congregation (high church dignitaries). But concludes in a footnote by remarking the negative attitude of the English speaking hierarchs
    it was claimed that people in the English-speaking world do not sing in church * and that the normative Mass should therefore be a read Mass
    With an aside at * :- 'the reference seems to have been solely to Catholic churches'
    FWIW Bugnini sees the failure to embed chant in Latin into parish practice as largely due to obstruction by musicians concerned not to weaken the full glories of chant and polyphony by permitting any alternatives.
  • ronkrisman
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    FWIW Bugnini sees the failure to embed chant in Latin into parish practice as largely due to obstruction by musicians concerned not to weaken the full glories of chant and polyphony by permitting any alternatives.

Should there be a 'the' after musicians and/or a comma after concerned? I.e. did Bugnini see obstruction by the musicians concerned (i.e. by the English speaking musicians) or did he see the obstruction by musicians because they were concerned that they did not weaken the full glories of chant and polyphony by permitting any alternatives? Confusing paragraph (at least to me.)
  • a_f_hawkins
    Sorry. It's some powerful musicians, particularly Msgr. Igino Angles, dean of the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music, and allies in the Sistine Chapel, and the Congregation of Rites. They seemed to think that following the Councils mandate of simplified chant would weaken the position of choirs singing Gregorian propers, and polyphony. For that reason they blocked the Graduale Simplex. At least that's how Bugnini describes it.
    When GS eventually appeared (explicitly NOT a Vatican editio typica) , John Ainslie managed to get out an English version of GS in amazingly short time, and it was published just a week or two before the Calendar revision was published, thus rendering it instantly obsolete. It had little chance against the St Louis Jesuits.
  • The 'you mustn't sing chant but in Latin' syndrome is alive and well yet today. We still have very popular books of chant (some under the auspices of the presumably academically and liturgically august Church Music Association of America) which, while they could just as easily provide verse translations of their verse Latin texts (and even singable prose ones for their prose texts), resolutely and with bald face provide literarily and musically worthless prose translations, just to assure that they may not be sung. The given excuse for this idiocy is that the proffered translations are more literal. That they may be, but as translation they are child's play, as literature they are worthless and utterly artless. Only Catholics do this. No translation at all would be more honest - and more artful.
  • Dear Incardination - I apologize if my comment seemed personally directed, it wasn't. Instead, for some reason I can't explain now, after reading your words many multiple times, yesterday I just kept getting this strange image in my poor mind, from something of the "Srewtape Letters" wherein one older devil was telling a younger devil, that it was a good thing to persuade humans to develop all kinds of diversity because it ultimately helps to foster the demise of unity. I'm not saying that you are promoting that, all I'm saying is that, for reason, it hit me that way. I'm most likely all wrong, please forgive me and my wacky brain. :)
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • dad29
    from the very earliest witnesses of such things, the normative (and normal!) practice was for the mass to be sung, all of it, from the first to the last syllables.

But not by a choir, and not polyphonically, at least until the--what?--mid-11th century. Thus, should we demand that the priest and people sing psalms and acclamations is based on earliest praxis?

But later, and licit, praxis was polyphonic, or spoken. And the Missa Cantata was developed, too.

So many choices, so little time.
  • dad29
    following the Councils mandate of simplified chant

The Council recommended that "some" simple Chants be available for laity to sing. That's a distinction which makes a big difference. The Pope published Jubilate Deo, in accord with that wish. We know that the wish of the Council AND the booklet were tossed into the In-Sink-Er-Ators of "liturgy committees" and "folk choirs." Then the Large Money hymnbook gang got involved, and here we are.