Latin hymns in Gather - Third Edition
  • 621 Ad Te Jesu Christe (Latin, English, Spanish)
    476 Adorámus Te Christe (Latin)
    887 Ave María (Latin)
    891 Ave María (English, Latin)
    526 Be Joyful, Mary (English, Latin)
    139 Benediction (Come Adore / Tantum Ergo) (English, Latin)
    301 Cantus Missae (Latin)
    637 Confitémini Dómino / Come and Fill Our Hearts (Latin, English, Spanish, Lithuanian)
    822 Dona Nobis Pacem (Latin)
    425 Dream a Dream (English, Latin)
    137 Exposition (O Saving Victim / O Salutáris) (English, Latin)
    426 Glória, Glória (Latin)
    879 Hail, Holy Queen Enthroned Above (English, Latin)
    509 Hail Our Savior’s Glorious Body / Pange Lingua (English, Latin)
    547 Holy Spirit, Come to Us (English, Spanish, Latin)
    886 Immaculate Mary (English, Latin)
    513 In Manus Tuas, Pater (Latin, English, Spanish)
    977 In Paradísum / May Choirs of Angels (Latin, English)
    618 Jubiláte, Sérvite (Latin, English, Spanish)
    623 Laudáte Dóminum (Latin)
    601 Laudáte, Laudáte Dóminum (Latin, English, Spanish)
    890 Litany of Mary / Letanía de la Santísima Virgen María (English, Spanish, Latin)
    100 Luke 1:46–53: My Soul Gives Glory (English, Latin)
    630 Magníficat (Latin)
    894 My Soul Gives Glory (English, Latin)
    439 O Come, All Ye Faithful / Venid, Fieles Todos / Adéste Fidéles (English, Spanish, Latin)
    895 O Sanctíssima / O Most Holy One (Latin, English)
    473 Parce Dómine (Latin, English)
    252 Prayer of the Faithful (de Silva) (English, Spanish, Tagalog, Latin)
    352 Prayer of the Faithful (Hay) (English, Latin, Polish, Spanish)
    880 Salve, Regína / Hail, Queen of Heaven (Latin, English)
    1065 Sequence for Easter (English, Latin)
    529 Surréxit Christus (Latin, English, Lithuanian)
    500 Ubi Cáritas (Taizé) (Latin, English, Spanish)
    696 Ubi Cáritas (Hurd) (Latin, English, Spanish)
    558 Veni Creátor Spíritus (Latin)
    550 Veni Sancte Spíritus (Latin, English, Spanish)
    705 Where True Love and Charity Are Found / Ubi Cáritas (English, Latin)
  • francis
    how many were in the last ediion?
  • Liam
    Now, for those of you who still use entrance hymns, how many of you will program some of the Latin verses of Adeste Fideles on Christmas? Other than the Ave Maria, I can think of no other Latin hymn text that has penetrated so deeply into American popular culture (well, it's not exactly deep, but deeper than many carols recorded by the King's College Choir, shall we say).
  • BenBen
    I'm not in charge of the music at my parish, but I know we will. Every year, we sing the first verse in latin, then we sing the first and subsequent verses in english.
  • CharlesW
    We do the same.
  • how many were in the last ediion?

Well, technically the Third Edition is really an update to the previous Comprehensive (or whatever "rehensive" you prefer to use).

The Comprehensive had most of these, and the regular ones only had some. Basically, the Gather hymnal has never had this many Latin hymns before.
  • marajoymarajoy
    (apprehensive? offensive? expensive? defective? recessive? oppressive? ineffective? wow, this is fun! I could go on...)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    prehensile, pensive, reprehensive, henselian, apollonian, pendacious, ... :)
  • And everybody busts my chops for being verbose?
  • Mike R
    Francis, I think GIA very consciously wanted to ensure that Gather and Worship this time around would each be more usable as a stand-alone hymnal for parishes. One of the bigger complaints I've heard about GIA's hymnals, especially here in OCP-land, is that most parishes would need to purchase both Gather and Worship to have the right variety for their different Masses. I even heard one music director say she had never heard of a church that had Worship III in the pews without Gather alongside it.

On the whole, I view it as a positive development: the Gather people will get more good music, and parishes wanting to go in a more traditional direction but who can't eschew the folk genre to the point of getting St. Michael or Vatican II, etc., might go for Worship IV instead of something much worse.
  • francis
    hmmm

i was in two parishes where one used Worship and another Worship II, but that was in the early 80's. We also might have had G&P, but can't really remember.

...inclusive, exclusive, abusive?
  • Gesundheit.
  • most parishes would need to purchase both Gather and Worship to have the right variety for their different Masses. I even heard one music director say she had never heard of a church that had Worship III in the pews without Gather alongside it.

I thought that's what GIA wanted parishes to do.

What I'm disappointed about is that not all of the Jubilate Deo hymns are in the new Gather. So much for a core repertoire.
  • 425 Dream a Dream (English, Latin)

Too bad the verses, which _____, are not in a strange, unknown language. (insert your own ________)

I was unaware of an latin office hymn called Dream a Dream....and when I saw the lyrics, I found out why. I will never hear Dona Nobis again without thinking of this.
  • CharlesW
    After several years with RitualSong and that wretched assortment of psalms, it will be a long time before I consider another GIA hymnal. Although I must admit that it does have enough good hymns. It makes one wonder at the great hymns left out so multiple versions of, for example, "Ode to Joy" could be included. Worship II was a great hymnal, but I understand the series has gone downhill from there.
  • francis
    WII was a good start, then they ran off the road.
  • Mike R
    most parishes would need to purchase both Gather and Worship to have the right variety for their different Masses. I even heard one music director say she had never heard of a church that had Worship III in the pews without Gather alongside it.

I thought that's what GIA wanted parishes to do.

Oh, absolutely. But I think now they're trying to market themselves into OCP parishes, and they realize that they're going to have to convince those parishes that they are the one-stop resource that OCP claims to be.
  • I will say that I'm impressed with Worship IV. In fact, we have now chosen this over the St. Michael hymnal for a variety of reasons. They really DID clean up some of the stupid inclusive language from the previous editions, they've added more and better psalms, such as Gelineau psalms, and they've included a fair amount of traditional Catholic hymns.

Now the disclaimer: We also print in the bulletin each week, which allows us to use Tietze's introit hymns, material from By Flowing Waters, and print translations to chanted propers. If we didn't have that option and Worship was our ONLY option, I don't think I'd be as excited about it.
  • I did not much care for Worship IV; while there are some improvements, it's not something that I would wholeheartedly recommend. The one upshot that GIA has over OCP is that it does have much more Latin than the OCP arsenal. Had I the money and resources, I would rather order the Vatican II Hymnal for our parish.
  • BruceL
    I will say that I'm impressed with Worship IV. In fact, we have now chosen this over the St. Michael hymnal for a variety of reasons. They really DID clean up some of the stupid inclusive language from the previous editions, they've added more and better psalms, such as Gelineau psalms, and they've included a fair amount of traditional Catholic hymns.

Now the disclaimer: We also print in the bulletin each week, which allows us to use Tietze's introit hymns, material from By Flowing Waters, and print translations to chanted propers. If we didn't have that option and Worship was our ONLY option, I don't think I'd be as excited about it.

PGA, one question: what is the nature of the psalm translation for Worship IV? As I imagine most people know on this board, RitualSong used the 1994 Grail, which is unsuitable (whether or not it is licit) for the liturgy due to pretty pervasive vertical inclusive language.

I do wish that Worship IV was revised more along the lines of III, although I realize that there would be a lot less market for that hymnal for the business side of GIA. The Proulx edited ones are the only hymnals by any Catholic publisher I've ever seen that really match the better Protestant ones in organization and completeness of indices.
  • GIA is, if nothing else, more CLASSY than OCP. I'm not saying it is with the mind of the Church, but they at least don't tend towards show tune and rock style music (as much) - it's more hymnody with is good.

The psalm translation is the new revised Grail translation, approved for use and to be inserted into the next lectionary revision.
  • francis
    Check out the new thread I just started on a new commission to address musical liturgical abuse. Perhaps these bad boys will be put to bed on some of the issues we deal with day to day.
  • BruceL
    PGA, thanks for the info. I assumed GIA would use the RGP, especially since they are the overlords...I mean, copyright holders of it.

I agree about the presentation.