Heard about the "alleluiatic psalms"??
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    In this document (pointed out by Dr. Paul Ford), we find this statement:

Loco psalmi in Lectionario assignati cani potest etiam vel responsorium graduale e Graduali Romano, vel psalmus responsorius aut alleluiaticus e Graduali simplici, sicut in his libris describuntur.

"In place of the psalm assigned in the lectionary one can also sing either the Gradual text from the Graduale Romanum, or either the responsorial psalm or the responsorial psalm with alleluia refrain from the Graduale Simplex, as is set forth in those books."
    (translation by an expert Latin Professor)

This statement allows that a "responsorial psalm with alleluia refrain" could be sung after the 1st Reading, and then the normal "Gospel Acclamation" Alleluia with verse after the 2nd reading.
    (N.B. the "responsorial psalm with alleluia refrain" is only an option in seasons where the Alleluia is allowed.)

If you've never seen a responsorial psalm with alleluia refrain ("alleluiatic psalms") HERE ARE TWO EXAMPLES

You will see that the alleluiatic psalms have their own Gregorian melodies, both for the alleluia refrains, and the cantor verses.

However, substituting the alleluiatic psalm from the GRADUALE SIMPLEX does not seem to be an option in the United States, due to the adaptations made by the USCCB (approved by Rome):
    THESE ARE GIVEN HERE

--------------------AM I WRONG?
  • Paul F. Ford
    You're not as much "wrong" as "over scrupulous." The USCCB doesn't have the authority to forbid the use of an option permitted the rest of the Roman Rite. Nothing in the passage you cited:
    Responsorial Psalm
    This adaptation will be inserted at number 61, paragraph 4:
    In the dioceses of the United States of America, the following may also be sung in place of the psalm assigned in
    the Lectionary for Mass: either the proper or seasonal antiphon and Psalm from the Lectionary, as found
    either in the Roman Gradual, or, Simple Gradual or in another musical setting; or an antiphon and Psalm
    from another collection of the psalms and antiphons ; including psalms arranged in metrical form,
    providing that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the
    diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.
    forbids the use of the alleluiatic psalm (except, obviously, during Lent).
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thanks, Dr. Paul.

Also, regarding the GRADUALE SIMPLEX:

I notice that for the Responsorial Psalms and Alleluiatic Psalms given in the GRADUALE SIMPLEX, the entire Psalm is given.

When singing from the Graduale Simplex, must one sing all the verses?

The GRADUALE SIMPLEX rubrics say that you can pick whichever verses you need with regard to the INTROIT, COMMUNION, & OFFERTORY.

However, I can't find where it says one can do this with the Resp. Psalms or Alleluiatic Psalms (I'm curious, because I can imagine some pastors saying CUT SOME OF THOSE VERSES OUT !!!)
  • Paul F. Ford
    The last paragraph of Section 20 of the Praenotanda to the Graduale Simplex says:

E psalmo autem quinque saltem versus, ad libitum, si plures proponuntur, seligendi, semper canuntur.

"At least five verses of a psalm, chosen at will, are always sung, whenever more than five are given."
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    THANK YOU!!!