Well, looks like I have to take the job
  • I was suddenly and unexpectedly laid off from my summer employment. Company told me I would be there for the whole season but that turned out to be a lie-they cut seasonal people early so they don't have to provide unemployment. I am tired of doing extra jobs anyway, and this church job will provide a salary that allows me to stop doing that. It's a hornet's nest of a situation I will be walking into, but I cannot afford to be picky. I do not have the luxury of waiting around for something more "ideal". I have bills to pay and children to provide for. The worst thing that could happen is I learn something and gain needed experience for that "ideal" job in the future. But for now, I choose to listen to God's calling and accept the opportunity in front of me. Prayers appreciated.
  • Many prayers offered from here. May the Lord bring you goodness and security of employment.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • I am sad for you, but hope you can bear the cross with equanimity.

I will say a Chaplet of Divine Mercy for you and for them.
  • If the situation is that bad, I suggest getting Dennis Maynard's book When Sheep Attack immediately - at least two copies, one to give to the pastor and suggesting a dialogue.
  • @Noel: thank you. It's difficult at this point to tell if the pastor is just overblowing things that are normal, or there really has been a lot of upheaval. The previous and long standing music director and accompanist resigned because they didn't want to work with the guy, who has only been there for one year. An example of the "lack of communication" that plagued the pastor's working relationship with the director was this past Easter. The director decided to set up the handbells at the back of the sanctuary, in an area reserved for disabled people. She blocked one of the doors with the handbell tables. She set all of this up without asking the pastor, drama ensued. She routinely missed meetings, would not answer phone calls or emails, and other stuff. So, I feel for the pastor, as I would not behave in that way. But I'm only getting his side of the story, not the director's. Pastor is under the impression that some people don't like him, and he was also clear about the frequency of Methodist pastors getting moved to other places. Why he felt the need to tell me that I don't know. Is it because he wants a new appointment and doesn't want to be there? He also said that there were a few choir members who he described as "outspoken and difficult". Well good for them. They don't like it, they don't have to be in the choir. Pastor also mentioned that these same people had issues with the previous director and complained that she rushed through rehearsals and did not give them enough opportunity to learn their parts. So, that's what I'm heading into. A big storm.
  • JesJes
    Jobs left right and centre advertised here in Aus.
  • GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS YALL.

Today is the day and I've been an emotional wreck until twenty minutes ago. I went out to get an iced coffee, even though I was tired and didn't feel like leaving the house. Something was just pulling me to go. I went to a local place. They know me, and they know I recently got laid off. They said "Hey, this pastor comes here all the time and they just lost their organist. Let me give him your name and number."
    That pastor arrived mere minutes after I left and he called me. Interview this Friday or Monday. The church is non denominational but they have a beautiful pipe organ and need someone like me who knows traditional and modern music.

There's a silver lining in every storm cloud....
  • God bless you! Prayers continue from here. God will not leave us as orphans.
  • Reval
    I think I need to go out for coffee more often! : ) Whenever the spirit leads me.

I hope this works out for you!! Best wishes for the interview!
  • Not surprisingly, the sky opened up and poured during my interview last night. After I finished playing for them I heard a huge clap of thunder...Nice enough people who desperately want to hire me, but I'm not giving them an answer until I find out more about the other place.
  • Interview next Monday. I was offered the director position at the other place, they left a message while I was practicing for Monday. :-/
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    If they're pressing you, I'd recommend simply telling them the truth that you have another interview in a few days and that you would like to wait until you know the result of the other interview before you make your decision.

This is completely reasonable, and may actually help you by encouraging them to make a stronger offer right from the get-go.
  • I told them I had another interview, but they left the message anyway. They will just have to wait.
  • WOLF IN SHEEP CLOTHING ALERT.

That other place? Yeah with the pipe organ? I would be playing piano in their praise band every other week, very modern service-definitely not "half and half" as originally told. Interview was interesting and they were somewhat intimidated by my classical background and conservatory training. It was apparent that they would not make room for what I had to offer their ministry. Oh and it was also apparent that the worship leader runs that show, so I don't know why they would hire someone else with the title of "music director" when I'd essentially share that with someone else-something I DEFINITELY do not want!

While this was happening, the other place that offered me the job has made arrangements with a neighboring church so I can continue to have access to an organ, practice, and continue my lessons. I accepted the job. They were open and welcoming to my background, and their choir has the chops to do some really great music.

I am giving my notice tonight. I've spent enough time crying about it and grieving the loss today so I think I'm ready.

Thank you again for your prayers and support.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    That other place? Yeah with the pipe organ? I would be playing piano in their praise band every other week, very modern service-definitely not "half and half" as originally told. Interview was interesting and they were somewhat intimidated by my classical background and conservatory training. It was apparent that they would not make room for what I had to offer their ministry. Oh and it was also apparent that the worship leader runs that show, so I don't know why they would hire someone else with the title of "music director" when I'd essentially share that with someone else-something I DEFINITELY do not want!

Yeah, you've got to be careful with what they tell you: sometimes they don't understand the terms they're using, or they don't understand that the terms are ambiguous. You must get a clarification on everything. I make sure that I am very clear of what I am bringing to the table when interviewing. I'm very blunt about my penchant for chant and polyphony, that I will when given the choice use the organ instead of the piano, etc. If they really want that, then they'll hire me. I realize that you may not have the liberty to be that way because you need the job. I took a job an hour and ten minutes from where I live for that exact reason: I needed it. It isn't ideal to drive that far, but I'll do it if it means I have gainful work. When I got my first DM job, the pastor told me they were looking to "improve" the music program and move in a "forward direction." I should have asked him to clarify what he meant by that. "Improve" to me means to go from modern hymnody, piano/guitar dominated accompaniment, and crowd favorites to chant, polyphony, and organ. He meant "get people singing more." So definitely make sure that there is no misunderstanding of anything you think is ambiguous.