Help identifying this Kyrie?
  • PLTT
    I'm trying to trace the origin of a particular folk Kyrie (in English) that is very well known in my area. I feel it must have been written in the interim period after the Council since it is in English but is a ninefold Kyrie. The notes for the first Lord, have mercy (x3) is as follows:

c4 c4 d4-e4-g4
    g4-c5 b4 a4-g4
    c5-g4-a4 e4 d4e4-d4-c4

• Andrew_Malton
    Obviously has an affinity with Kyrie VIII "De Angelis". A simplified version for singing in English?
  • tomjaw
    We had loads of this sort of stuff in our organ loft, We have been burning it in the fire at the Easter Vigil (EF). The last lot went last year... Sorry.
  • ViolaViola
    History repeats itself. I once spoke with an elderly man who was almost in tears with emotion that all the books of polyphony/chant etc in his parish were thrown into a rubbish skip after Vatican II. I wonder if any parishioners will feel the same about this stuff, although feeding the holy fire has to be a better fate than being hurled into a skip.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Too bad items like this are not scanned and uploaded to IMSLP with some sort of labels (year state city) to aid musicologist searches in a hundred years.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • PLTT, are you from the USA? Which region?

B
  • PLTT
    Currently I am not in the USA.

Thanks to a tip, I located this Kyrie (sung to a faster and more upbeat tempo than I am used to hearing) in a recording, but with no information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diLzeNDohlA#t=106s

[begins 1:48 mark]
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    The user who posted it to YouTube estimates that the recording comes from 1967. That may help to narrow it down somewhat.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Well... it's catchy.
  • MatthewRoth
    Wow. That’s something. It’s proof to my ears that a ninefold Kyrie is better, even in 1960s folk styles!
  • Tomjaw just made my day - and all my days for at least six months.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @MJO

I should say that the music was carefully checked by two successive directors of music (OF choir) to weed out compositions with either awful English or awful melodies. Of course much had to go because they used the super-ceded English mistranslations of the Latin.

In another place we burnt the felt banners and small wooden table pretending to be an altar, as part of a larger new fire!
  • roy2
    I found this in the Catholic Book of Worship II (Canadian hymn book) under the title Mass for Youth / Second Mass for Young Americans, by Ray Repp, copyright 1966 and 1967 by F.E.L. Church Publications.
    Thanked by 2igneus PLTT
  • Andrew_Malton
    @roy2, good find. So that's why I knew this tune. Also in CBW I (1972).

Read about Ray Repp.
    3072 x 1728 - 702K
    Thanked by 2igneus roy2
  • Jeffrey Quick
    much had to go because they used the super-ceded English mistranslations of the Latin.

That would have applied to the pre-Missal of Paul VI Mass settings -- many of which are now useable. I hope you held back single copies for archival and historical purposes.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks for the flashbacks. This was the "Mass de Jour" where I grew up. Lucky me.
  • PLTT
    Thank you roy2! I probably should have guessed, all the other Ray Repp numbers ("Take our bread", "Sons of God", "Here we are"....) are still going strong in my part of the world.