Confirmation help
  • canadashcanadash
    A parish priest in a neighbouring parish has asked my two sons to sing at his parish's Confirmation Mass. He does not want to have a pianist or organist. I don't know why, but he said hearing the boys sing without accompaniment will be wonderful.

Could you give me your ideas as to what they might sing? I've been thinking a bit about this and I don't think hymns will work without accompaniment. This church is not used to chanting, but it would make most sense to me to have my sons chant all the propers and ordinary a cappella. I assume that if this is like most Confirmation classes, no one is expected to participate anyway.

My sons are accomplished chanters and they could probably sing some interesting duets as long as they are in their range (one baritone [high tenor is a real strain - though he sings a mean falsetto] and one bass). Any repertoire suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Heath / Ben Y's a cappella motet books might be good.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • How about some chant hymns? Veni Creator Spiritus or similar?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • PaxTecum
    Sounds fun! Propers! Veni creator during anointing with Chrism. I vaguely remember other prescribed antiphons in the pontificale.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Lassus's Bicinia for great two-part music.

[Edited out a digression. Hope you don't mind.--admin]
    Thanked by 2canadash bonniebede
  • Canadash,

I encourage you to find the Canticum Duorum Vocum, of Orlando Lassus.
    Thanked by 2canadash bonniebede
  • chonakchonak
    Is this for an average parish OF Mass in English? If the music is all in Latin, a lot of people will lose interest.

How many confirmandi are there? Multiply it by 3/4 to estimate the length of the conferral of the sacrament. If you have 40 candidates, that would mean the parish priest is asking two boys to prepare music for a 30-minute period, on top of whatever is typical for a Mass.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • chonakchonak
    Get two more voices. Here's a four-part setting of the Veni Creator to some music by Josquin; I'm told it's a portion of Ave maria, virgo serena. (Thanks to the local church musician who introduced me to this.) If you have a few dozen candidates to be confirmed, there's no harm in doing two different settings of the Veni Creator.
  • canadashcanadash
    I learned today that there will be a pianist now, but they have decided to chant for the conferral anyway. I will tell them to consider preparing a hymn or two. Thanks for your comments Richard.

I also appreciate the music. I'll be using that with my own choir!
    Thanked by 1chonak