Hymn for the Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple?
  • Hugh
    On our annual Australian Christus Rex Pilgrimage (do come!) we sing the Rosary and begin each mystery with a hymn. As music director, I'm stuck at this mystery, which cries out for a dedicated hymn. Is there one out there? There's a short verse in "Protect Us While Telling", but are there any hymns dedicated to the Finding of the Child Jesus? Or maybe Kathy P. you could compose one in a common metre?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Hugh
    www.crex.org
  • PLTT
    There are the hymns written for the feast of the Finding (Inventionis Pueri Iesu in medio Doctorum, usually assigned to a Sunday after the Epiphany) for the old pre-Pius X Breviarium Romanum. English versions can be found in the Bute translation of the Breviary.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Hugh
    Many thanks, P. In the version I've downloaded, for the hymn one is referred back to the Feast of the Epiphany. Am I doing something wrong?
  • chonakchonak
    The Dominicans used to observe a feast for the Finding of our Lord Jesus Christ among the Doctors, and the Vespers hymn was "Jesu magister cordium".

(Thanks to Fr. Thompson OP for providing this.)
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    Have just found the music... see pg 122 (or pg67 in the pdf) of this,
    http://media.musicasacra.com/dominican/vesperarum-1900-fruhwirth.pdf
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Hugh
    Chonak, Tomjaw and Fr Thompson & PLTT many thanks. Brilliant sleuthing! Quam utilis est locus iste!

Now, one supreme last effort: can anyone find a metrical translation of this text into English? See, I want a version that our pilgrims can sing along to as they walk. It's not in the "Hymns of the Dominican Missal and Breviary" which is otherwise a vast and great resource. I might have to farm it out to a Latin scholar friend who is also v. good at poetry. But in case there is an extant translation that would save a lot of work. But thanks heaps for all your efforts. This is quite fun, though, isn't it? God bless and be assured of my prayers on our Christus Rex Pilgrimage in October.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    Also found here, slight differences in melody, pg 154

http://media.musicasacra.com/books/cantus-varii.pdf

Well if Aquinas Byrnes did not translate it hmmm, I have looked in Julian and in couple of books of Caswall, and no luck. It may be quicker to ask a translator, than look through the various books of translations.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PLTT
    Hugh, i'm not sure which book you looked at....see here (https://archive.org/details/romanbreviaryref00cath), p. 917ff. It has a translation of Jesu Magister Cordium, as well as a translation of the hymn at Lauds (Foecundae fons scientiae).

You can find the same thing here (https://archive.org/details/breviaryhymnsand00unknuoft), pp. 51-53 (nn. 54, 55).

You may want to tweak it, but it's a start.....
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Hugh
  • Sing of Mary, pure and lowly (North American) would work.
    Thanked by 1Hugh
  • chonakchonak
    Here's that English version, for convenience:
    392 x 753 - 474K
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Hugh
  • Hugh
    Bingo!

Thanks for the clarification, PLTT and Chonak, (et al.) I went astray reading the rubrical instructions and hopelessly misunderstanding them (not for the first time).

"And they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances ... After three days they found him..."

Well, after three days seeking among my "kinsfolk and acquaintances" here, I've found "hymn"! I think God has a great sense of humor.

I'll take the text, and make it suitably feisty for our sweating pilgrims by putting it to 'Agincourt'. Other suggestions welcome, of course. (Tune 'Puer Nobis Nascitur/Praetorius' has just swum into my ken.)

Thanks too to Daniel for an alternative I hadn't considered.

You're all an incredible gift!

Hugh
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Maybe this is overkill, but the Servites had another melody for this hymn that could work with the English translation above. (From a 1949 supplement to the Liber Usualis).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ah ... Jesu dulcis memoria ... good tune for chanting this hymn.
    Thanked by 1Hugh
  • Andrew_Malton
    This thread is a case study for the Forum at its very best. Question, digging, contacts, teamwork, respect, help. That's why I love this place.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Check out this link to THE PAROCHIAL HYMN BOOK WORDS AND MELODIES, Rev. Anatole Police, London, 1883. Go to page 98, #65, for a hymn that does contain a verse "Finding in the Temple."

https://archive.org/details/parochi00lond

Also, CROWN OF JESUS MUSIC, Henri Hemy, London, 1862 contains six "Rosary" hymns (2 each for the Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious mysteries). The fifth verse of the two Joyful hymns specifically relate to the "Finding in the Temple." At the beginning of this section in the hymnal, there is a statement, "After each mystery is announced, the verse appropriated to it may be sung, as also the 'Gloria Patri' at the end of each decade." You might find this useful.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Hugh
  • Kathy
    I like Hemy, fwiw.
    Thanked by 1Hugh