Spiral (coil) binding
  • preface disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in, or ties, to, UPS :-)

All,

Today I'm on my way to the UPS Store with two copies of the Catholic Choirbook Anthology.
    The paperback binding will be sliced off, holes punched and spiral (coil) bindings inserted.

This will enable the books to lie flat on my music stand or the organist's music rack. Have already done this with the schola's copies of CMAA's Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum and they report that it greatly helps them when having to alternate between the Liber and the Versus for Communion antiphon.

In this quadrant of our very large metro area, I have found only two places offering the spiral; most do only the comb binding which I find does not last. And the charge is nominal, $ not $$. Recommended.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I've done a lot of comb binding over the years. I work for a general contractor, and I have made hundreds, if not thousands, of copies of specification books over the years. I can put together a 300 page book in about 1 1/2 hours. It would go faster, except I have to manually punch the holes in the sheets (5 or 6 at a time). A spiral binder would be great. Wish I could talk them into it.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    FWIW, librarians HATE coil and comb bindings. They don't stand up to use, they don't stand up on the shelf, you can't put shelf labels on them, and they scream cheap. I have no issue if users find them a preferable option, as long as one can purchase the item without. That said, I purchased an Ibico comb-binder, and it long ago paid for itself in savings of hassle and binding fees.
  • for my application (choir use), the only downside to coil bindings is that the title is no longer visible on the spine of the book. In a library situation that'd be a problem; but among the few books in one's individual kneeler, not really.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've used UPS (Kinko's) for that exact same coil binding for a number of years, for the same reason. When you want something that lays flat with no tendency to flip pages on you, it's fantastic. And not expensive at all.
  • ryandryand
    Out here it costs $5-6 for coil binding at FedEx/Kinkos. It makes use of personal copies much more practical, for reasons Carl has described.