Seminary Music Programs
  • I was wondering if any forum posters are or have been music teachers at Roman Catholic seminaries. I teach singing at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit and am trying to get information about what music classes are offered to seminarians in other cities. This is part of my research for a larger project concerning how much singing younger priests are doing as compared to those who were ordained 20 and more years ago. Any information would be appreciated.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    You can send me a PM and I'll help as much as I can.
  • BruceL
    My brother, Charles, is the seminary music director/professor of music at Sacred Heart School of Theology outside of Milwaukee. Might give him a shot via email (I don't know it off hand). Of course Jenny Donelson in NYC at St. Joseph's and Mary Catherine Levri at the Athenaeum in Cincy would also be good resources, as would Earl_Grey on this forum.
    Thanked by 1Ruth Lapeyre
  • music123
    I know a religious sister who teaches at St. Meinrad in Indiana. Would you like me to send you her contact information?
  • You might also want to contact Alexis Kutarna at St. Mary's Seminary in Houston, TX, as well as Jennifer Donelson, who is at Dunwoodie in NY.
    Thanked by 2Ruth Lapeyre Ally
  • BruceL
    Oops! Left off Alexis...sorry.
  • Thank you all so much and yes I would like any contact info you can give, just send a PM and I will take care of the rest.
  • Kathy
    You might want to touch base with the woman who works with the Dominican novices at St Gertrude's Priory.
  • chonakchonak
    Paul Ford at St. John's, Camarillo also writes on the forum occasionally.
    Thanked by 2Paul F. Ford BruceL
  • ghmus7
    I am Music director at Holy Trinity Seminary in Dallas
    Gregory Hamilton
    ghmus7@hotmail.com
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Ally
    Sent you a PM. I would love to compare notes and collaborate.
    Thanks!

Alexis Kutarna
    Director of Music
    St. Mary's Seminary
    Houston, TX
  • I 2nd the suggestion of Sr. Bernardone at St. Meinrad:

http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/faculty/?profile=2723