Parish recommendations near Schaumburg, IL?
  • Heath
    One of my previous student music directors is newly-married and looking for a parish in or around Schaumburg, IL? Any recommendations for her? Good music and reverent liturgies are a pre-requisite, of course. : )
  • BenBen
    Is 50 min too far? If not, the ICKSP shrine is an excellent place. Or, 30 min to St. John Cantius. Both in chicago
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • chonakchonak
    I think a forum member directs music at St. Peter and Paul, Naperville.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Mundelein is 46 mins. I'm not sure what their Sunday Mass is like, but the wonderful Liturgical Institute is there at the Seminary/University of St. Mary of the Lake. Even if they can't attend Mass there, encourage them to attend the workshops! They are marvelous.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • jczarn
    St. John Vianney in Northlake is about a 20-30 minute drive from Schaumburg. At the moment, we certainly can't compete with the liturgical grandeur of St. John Cantius or Sts. Peter and Paul, but we do have a humble EF Missa Cantata every Sunday. Liturgies are reverent and the priests are very orthodox.

The former associate pastor (who had been in charge of the EF Masses) has just been installed as the pastor; he is a wonderful priest and seems to be determined to rejuvenate the parish, both facility-wise and community-wise. My wife has been active in organizing some Masses and social activities for homeschool activities, and we've already made some progress in getting new "young blood" in general. And honestly, we could really use some more talented singers, either for the OF or EF Masses!
    Thanked by 2Ben Heath
  • St. Peter Parish in Volo is also very good. It is staffed by the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius. Sunday mornings have two OF Masses, with either English or Gregorian propers, plus choirs, as well as an EF high Mass. Schaumburg is about a 30/40 min drive from Volo.
  • We'd be glad to see her here at St. Mary's in West Chicago (where I direct), 25 minutes south of Schaumburg. The liturgy is reverent, the folks are nice, the building is old and charming, and the 10AM and Sat 5PM mass' sacred music will be beautiful especially if she helps lead the Altos or Sopranos :D

(St. Mary's also celebrate an EF mass in their school chapel at 10 AM on Sundays, but I can't vouch for the music; it's a low mass every other week :P )