Question about using Gregorian semiology
  • Hello all! I am studying Gregorian Chant and have a question about Semiology. If you regularly use Gregorian chant in your parish how many of you use semiology or a semiological approach? If so, could you please tell me what you use to sing it and how you go about teaching it? Thank you in advance!!
  • Our director has not been doing classical Solesmes for a while so we are used to the stylistic nuances. It is only recently, however, that we as a group are looking at the ancient neumes as we sing. We use the Solesmes Graduale Triplex as our source, but have in the past also dabbled in using the Graduale Novum. All of us have been introduced to semiological interpretation via different workshops and conferences but our training has been informal. Essentially we are being weaned onto understanding how to sing proper by proper.
    Thanked by 1kirstentrudeau
  • Using the semiology is more for the director than for the choir, especially if the choir is a volunteer one. When I use aspects of the semiology in my directing, I am brief with the schola in telling them why I'm doing what I'm doing, and then move on. I find that too much theory gets tedious. About half use the Triplex and half use the Romanum, so those who use the Romanum make a quick note in their book and the rest make a note to follow the sign.
    Thanked by 1kirstentrudeau
  • SalieriSalieri
    I use a Semiological approach to the chants, in Latin and English. My parish is not at the point of regularly using Latin Propers (this is Novus Ordo), but we use Fr. Weber's Propers of the Mass every Sunday (Actually, almost every day, but that's just a cantor). Obviously there is no paeleography for these chants per se, but I do use my knowledge of the old neums to inform my interpretation -- including adding some hidden liquescents, etc. Also, I never (well, hardly ever) use Solesmes-style Chironomy: I use a number of gestures to coax my singers into doing what I want them to do, and I do this on the fly, reacting to what they are doing, and their reactions to my indications. This includes looking over tops of glasses at the Basses.