Guilty Pleasures
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thinking after the favorite hymns thread, I was wondering about people's "guilty pleasures" - hymns (or SONGS!) that are tacky, or not quite appropriate, or heretical, or whatever, but which you, personally, like anyway (and WHY).

I'll open with:
    I LOVE David Haas's "Where the River Flows" collection, which is mostly lefty-liberal religious lyrics set to secular ethnic folk songs.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Why do you like it?
    I have found some schmaltz entertaining (amusing, actually), but can't think of any specifics at the moment.

Your title for this conversation reminded me immediately of Katherine Bergeron's priceless book about the XIX. century revival of Gregorian chant at Solesmes: Decadent Enchantments.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    Tim Manion's There Is a River album
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Why do you like it?

1. Lefty-liberal religious lyrics
    2. ethnic folk tunes
  • Shelter me, o God and I have a long clandestine relationship. I know it's so quasi-Irish but I can't let it go. I probably like it more now that I don't sing it anymore during mass. In my cheesiest moments I imagine a video version of the song over the cliffs of a misty beach...
    Yeah.

And Motown.
    Motown Mass. Why has no one ever thought of this?

Soaring melodies, wailing raw emotion, rhythmic interest and drive. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I love a lot of Haas's music. Particularly, Take Up Your Cross. In fact, there are quite a few of these Catholic songs that I rather enjoy musically.
    Many of the ones I like, though, are out of pure nostalgia. For example, the Haugen/Haas setting of Psalm 96: All the Ends of the Earth. I like it only because that was the Psalm every year on Christmas Eve with the Children's Choir in which I sang at my home Parish. Or Joncas' Psalm 118: This is the Day. For the same reason - it was the Easter Psalm every year for the children's choir. Otherwise, I would probably find them intolerable.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    And of course, my Musical Theatre self loves to wail on Angrisano. It's so easy to perform those songs.... hahaha.
  • The Toronto Mass by Tim Elia. The spoken Preface leading into the Holy, Holy, Holy gets me every time.
  • BenBen
    I like a lot of P&W.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    flying fish puppets
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood bkenney27
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I'll echo MaryAnn's mentioning of "Shelter Me." It's not really a favorite, but I guess I find the countermelody (when it's actually sung!) sort of interesting.

A few more.

SLJ's "Take Lord, Receive." There's something about that descending fifth I sort of like. The text, of course, is sublime (notwithstanding the replacing of "Thee" and "Thou," etc.), as is the context of it all as the Ignatian prayer. I remember contemplating this text alongside the Biblical story of Abraham being asked to sacrifice his son. And I was young at the time, so all-in-all, it made a pretty strong impression.

The "yoo-hoo" song, otherwise known as "On Eagle's WIngs": If I remember correctly, the melody starts on the seventh scale degree, which is sort of cool.

Good tunes for a campfire, I guess.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • chonakchonak
    How about the SLJs' "Only This I Want"?
  • GavinGavin
    I actually really love to play "We are Called", "Lead Me, Guide Me", and other pieces of trashy pseudo-gospel music.

Also, Haas's "You are Mine" shares a chord progression at the bridge with "Can't Fight this Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. Every now and then when I have to play that song at church, I play the REO bridge.
  • GavinGavin
    "Motown Mass. Why has no one ever thought of this?"

MCW, it HAS been thought of. I saw a video of Mass at a church in Detroit with a Motown ordinary. Horrifying. I'll look for it...
  • GavinGavin
    MCW asked for it... they did an entire Mass of it. I blame her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RzyvCzz6A1w
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    "Higher Ground"

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65AzQvzDl3c

Although it's a Baptist choir singing it, it's the same song I heard the Marian University choir sing (when I heard the song for the very first time) at Mass at St. John the Evangelist in Indianapolis. It's very beautiful and gets me every time.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • I love the SLJ's "Turn to Me" and "This Alone". I grew up singing out of the original hardcover Glory & Praise in grammar school, so there'll always be a place in my heart for that music.

I also love Lucien Deiss' "The Spirit of God" and David Haas' "Send Us Your Spirit".
  • SalieriSalieri
    Pathetic as this may sound, I actually realy like Misss Luba
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    [re: Motown Mass]
    MCW asked for it... they did an entire Mass of it. I blame her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RzyvCzz6A1w

That is A LOT of white people....
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Is this a safe place? This seems like a safe place.

I'll admit it. I actually don't mind Mass of Creation. The only thing I dislike is its ubiquity. When done at a reasonable tempo, using the organ and decent singing, I think it is actually superior to many of its contemporaries.
  • "When done at a reasonable tempo, using the organ and decent singing, I think it is actually superior to many of its contemporaries."

I was at a workshop once led by Steve Janco, and when he played the Mass of Creation as a demo, someone told him he was playing it way too slowly, that it should be felt in 1 instead of 3 per measure. He grimaced and said, "Marty would hate that."
  • Ally
    I love "Down to the River" (from O Brother Where Art Thou).

You know, maybe this sounds crazy too, but I really like a lot of songs that I've taught at VBS, honestly. Like "Amazing Love". It's fun when you have 50 or 100 kids singing that stuff. You get to be someone totally different. You put on some neon-coloured t-shirt, you know, with the ironed-on logo, wear a "Britney Spears" mic, and jump around with the kids in a gym for a week. (Then convince them to join your children's choir, where they sing chant too ha ha).
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • hartleymartin
    "Old Rugged Cross" - It's one of the few songs that I'll fire up the rotating speaker in my theatre organ (sadly not a Leslie) and I'll dial up the schmaltz for it. One day I might even record it.

My other guilty pleasure is antagonising atheists, followers of MDM and "Angry Traddies" (ie the sort who deny anything the church has said or taught after 1962 save for Summorum Pontificum)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My other guilty pleasure is antagonising...Angry Traddies

I'm confused what there is to feel guilty about here...
    Thanked by 2Gavin Mark Husey
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (I am SO GLAD I started this thread...)
  • GavinGavin
    Mass of Creation is a very fine piece of music which has been unfortunately ruined by overuse.
  • Kathy
    Is this a safe place? This seems like a safe place.

I want to go on record as liking this disclaimer, but not the Mass of Creation.

Can you really hear angels singing either that Gloria or those Holies?

Something must change, and soon, or nobody will pray very well anymore.
  • I Am the Bread of Life
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • Andrew_Malton
    Shepherd Me, O God
    Becker's litany
    How Great Thou Art
    Portuguese rosé
    Chocolate "Cherry Blossom"

Wouldn't use them at liturgy though.
  • Jani
    Although we seem to be singing it every week these days, I'm not as thrilled with MOC since the Missal changed. For one thing, people automatically default to the old versions, causing me to raise my voice to get them back on track. Speaking of the changes in the Missal, my favorite guilty pleasure-Glory to God from the Mass of Light- is no more. Some pieces just shouldn't have been altered to fit the new words, and that is one of them.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Organ transcriptions of John Philip Sousa marches.

Also like from The Hynal 1982, No. 412 "Earth and all stars"

And that tune for "Faith of our Fathers" (found in the OLD St. Basil's Hymnbook) that was used as the theme-song for the Brit-com Bless me, Father.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Glory to God from the Mass of Light

and SIIIIIIIINNNNG Glory to GOD!!!

love it.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I have been bothered by my choir for two years now as to why I never continued with their Mass of Light Gloria.

I like Shepherd Me, O God, especially the choral arrangement, and (considering where I am on the migration to traditional emphasis) still use it in liturgy very occasionally.
  • Also like from The Hynal 1982, No. 412 "Earth and all stars"

LOUD, BOILING TEST TUBES!

One of the most quotable lines since, "He healed the grey cells of my mind."
  • Salieri -
    I like the Missa Luba, too. Nor would I count it a 'guilty pleasure': it is far better music and a far more genuine aesthetic than most of the masses in most Catholic hymnals.

• expeditus1
    Gavin, I got a real kick out of the Motown Mass link that you posted above. The organist is really "feeling it," evidenced by his body flourishes, especially during the "Gloria" and "Amen" portions.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Bring flow'rs of the fairest
    I Sing a Song of the Saints of God
  • Is 'I sing a song of the saints of God' really a guilty pleasure? It is a charming hymn (song, really) which is a great favourite of children of all ages.
    Thanked by 2chonak BruceL
  • chonakchonak
    A little plug for this site devoted to old-fashioned hymns: http://www.catholicdevotionalhymns.com/
    (though we don't have Bring Flowers yet!)
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Glory to God from the Mass of Light

Yes. The piano part played as written, and the soprano descant.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • Jani
    Exactly, SkirpR! We used to sing soprano and alto parts, and even with our little congregation we would bring the dust down off the rafters.

As for the piano score...my daughter played it slightly faster than written for a talent showcase when she was a senior in high school and received a thunderous round of applause. The piece is just fun.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    and the soprano descant.

What soprano descant?

Now, there's a Tenor descant...
  • Jani
    He's talking about the final refrain - "and siiiiiiiiiiiing, glory to Go-odd in the highest and peace to his people on eaaaarrrrrth!!!" One must stand on a chair to hit those final notes.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Was it a soprano descant in the original recording?
    It was not.
    (Is outrage.)
  • Jani
    I've never heard the official recording...I learned the piece at a music workshop a few years ago then ordered the sheet music from GIA.
  • Kathy
    That guy was a really great singer!
  • Liam
    They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love (works very well if you harmonize it sparingly, shape-note style).

This Alone (Mannion)

A Song of Hope (Foley)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Original recording of Mass of Light Gloria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZNsKic0vmw

Descant is dude.
    More specifically: pretty sure descant is David himself.

One of the reasons I've always liked DH's music is that he and I have about the same vocal range and (moreover) vocal quality- so the descants and solos and things that he clearly wrote for himself fit me perfectly.
  • The Cry of the Poor (Foley)
    Ubi Caritas (Hurd)
    Behold the Wood (Schutte)