Of the Father's Love Begotten [tune: Corde Natus] (Charles H. Giffen)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is Of the Father's Love Begotten set to my hymn tune CORDE NATUS, slightly revised, with two descants.

In the accompanying simulated performance, Descant 2 is sung in stanzas 2 & 4, while Descant 1 is sung in stanzas 3 & 4. In addition the recording has a short one-line introduction.

Edit: Updated score uploaded (2013-11-14) to include final stanza ending, as reflected in the sound file.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is gorgeous, Charles, and eminently singable. Multas gratias tibi ago! I'm putting this on our Advent roster. What is it about descants that is so moving? Such a simple counterpoint, but there's just something about a clear angelic voice rising above the rest of the congregation and singing its own melodic line that grabs you by the heartstrings.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Beautiful. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I uploaded a slightly more complete score above, which in corporates the alternate ending for the last stanza (as in the recording).

In the recording itself, Descant 1 is doubled with an oboe, and Descant 2 is doubled with an English horn. Also, on the last stanza, the tenors sing Descant 2 (down an octave) along with the sopranos singing that descant, and the altos and basses sing the melody.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is just so lovely and stately. The second "evermore" in the refrain gets me every time! God bless and thanks again, Charles.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I really like this tune, but I love the original tune way too much to ever use it for this text.

Would you be adverse to another text being paired to or written for it?
  • 100% agree with the above post
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam, this tune has already been used for Kathy Pluth's text At the Dawning of Creation

Divinum Mysterium was originally a triple-meter trope for the Sanctus, although it subsequently was recast in equalist chant for "Of the Father's Love Begotten" ... The Hymnal 1982 restores the original triple meter, although I find the triple meter version inferior (to my taste).

My setting is cast more as a processional hymn than as a devotional hymn.

If anyone wants to use the tune for any different texts, that is quite alright with me.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Hymnal 1982 restores the original triple meter, although I find the triple meter version inferior, (to my taste) because it is.

Fixed.

Yes. I even debated use of the word "original tune" but I figured you knew what I meant.