Hymn to Our Lady of Guadalupe
  • SalieriSalieri
    My pastor has asked me to find a hymn to Our Lady of Guadalupe. The Criteria are:

1) Spanish (English translation a good idea, too)
    2) Organ Based/SATB
    3) Classical, not a mariachi piece edited for organ
    4) Orthodox text, "untainted by Liberation Theology or Modernism".

Any help would be helpful.
  • henry
    "Mexicanos Volad Presurosos" and "Desde el Cielo" (sometimes called "Las Aparaciones Guadalupanas"). The first one is (was) available from the Our Lady of Guadalupe Basilica website (Mexico City) and the second from OCP or WLP. Both are traditional organ-based, but no translation that I know of.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • ronkrisman
    There are a number of possibilities from the Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song hymnal. All have organ accompaniments. All have Spanish and English texts. Two are under the "Our Lady of Guadalupe" heading:
    727 Desde el Cielo / From the Heavens
    728 Mañanitas a la Virgen de Guadalupe / Morning Praises to the Virgin of Guadalupe

Some other possibilities are under the "Blessed Virgin Mary" section:
    710 Como Estrella en Claro Cielo / As a Star on Cloudless Evenings
    714 Buenos Días, Paloma Blanca / Fairest Dove, Most Lovely Maiden
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Fr. Krisman, would you be able to send me a page or two of the hymns from Oramos Cantando so that I can see what they're like before I purchase anything?
  • henry
    I forgot to add "Adios O Virgen de Guadalupe", in OCP and WLP.
  • Theo
    I would like to get hold of the hymn "Ven con nosotros al caminar"--tune and accompaniment. Does anyone know this?
  • ronkrisman
    Theo, the hymn you refer to - "Santa María del Camino" (title) or "Mientras recorres la vida" (first line) - has both text and tune by the Spaniard, Juan Espinosa. The Spanish original is found in all three editions of OCP's Flor y Canto hymnal, with an accompaniment by Fr. John Schiavone.

The same is also included in two GIA hymnals, Worship 4 and Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song, but with the addition of an English translation by Mary Louise Bringle. OCP administers the copyright in the USA.
  • "Hija del pueblo" isn't a specifically Guadalupan song but the words fit nicely.
    You can find it in the Cantoral Liturgical Nacional.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcssLnkJ8IM
  • Kathy
    Como Estrella en Claro Cielo is an outstanding hymn.
  • ronkrisman
    "Hija del Pueblo" is a hymn by the late Catalan priest-composer, Alberto Taulé. It contains some wonderful images for the Blessed Mother: daughter of the people, the people of bread and wine; God robed you with gold and silver, Queen of creation; God gave you the flower of the wheat and the fruit of the olive tree; from the Promised Land, he filled you with milk and honey; he placed his seal within your heart; you are the choicest garden, near the House of bread, the fountain from which flows abundantly the water of eternity.

I think the only image in the hymn which touches somewhat upon the Guadalupe apparition is "your face shines like the sun."

The hymn may be difficult to find in the USA. OCP, which is the US agent for the music of Taulé, did not include it in its Flor y Canto hymnal. Cantoral Litúrgico Nacional is a hymnal from Spain.
  • ronkrisman
    "Como Estrella en Claro Cielo" is indeed an outstanding hymn, with text and tune by the late Skinner Chávez-Melo, written in 1987. The hymn tune's name is RAQUEL (87 87 D). The tune has been included in numerous hymnals over the past 25 years, the Marian text not so much.

I made an English translation, As a Star on Cloudless Evenings, which is included with the Spanish original text in two GIA hymnals, Worship 4 and Oramos Cantando / We Pray in Song.

Stanzas 1 and 2 center on the theme of the Annunciation of the Lord; stanzas 3 has an Our Lady of Sorrows theme; stanza 4 is an extended doxology, ending with the word Magníficat.

Richard Proulx's arrangement is heard in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCgL3psGbc