• Is there a handy-dandy chart for the Solemn tones similar to this one of the simple tones?

http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/tones.pdf
  • WJA
    I'm not aware of a set of solemn psalm tones.

There is a set of tones for introit psalms (which may be what you meant, in which case, I apologize; I didn't intend to quibble). Those can be found here as applied to the text of the Gloria Patri.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • WJA
    For the benefit of anyone who does not already know:

The introit psalm tones have two parts, A and B;

Because the Gloria Patri divides naturally into three parts, the tone is applied to those parts thus: A (Gloria Patri...Sancto): A (Sicut erat..et semper,): B (et...Amen.)

So to get the psalm tone, just take the formula for "Gloria Patri...Sancto" for A and the formula for "et...Amen" for B and you're all set.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • WJA
    Just remembered: they're all listed in Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum. Relevant excerpt attached.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Yes this is what I was looking for. I've always heard them referred to as "solemn tones" to differentiate them from the "simple tones" of the office. Still a basic sketch showing the intonation and cadences without any text similar to the simple tone sheet above would be helpful to for copying pasting into a document with a pointed psalm text to give to the choir/cantor.
  • I call them "Mass Tones" and "Office Tones" to distinguish them, although the Graduale Simplex used the "Office Tones" for chanting the psalms.