Anyone exceedingly happy with their work?
  • Having read through three threads on difficulties with parish music positions, I'm wondering if anyone can report being very happy in their present position. Of course, none will be perfect but I'd be looking for these elements to be strongly present for job satisfaction in parish music ministry:
    1) pastor and musician see eye-to-eye on liturgical music
    2) choir that understands its role at Mass, humbly accepts it, and does all for the glory of God
    3) remuneration at a level that shows your ministry is important and valued
    4) congregation that, for the most part, understands and appreciates the role of sacred music in the Mass and LOVES assisting at Mass
    5) pastor is a strong leader not given into public opinion

My teenage son (presently our parish organist) has been considering a career in parish music. As much as the Church needs good musical leadership, I am not inclined toward encouraging him in this. Maybe pages of stories of "exceedingly happy" stories will change my mind.

Kathy
  • Kathy
    This isn't what you're asking, but, I just wanted to say that there are a few more things that could happen to go wrong, even if these are ok.

I mentioned in another thread that a decade or so ago I helped work on a book called Pastors in Transition. These were two more things that sometimes happened to pastors, and so in the long run could happen to parish staffers.

1) Some parishes, often small ones, had been historically run by two big families, often charter members of the parishes, and historically there had been rivalries, often among the matriarchs. If one of the Protestant pastors got caught in the middle of a long-running feud, it was very difficult to have any idea what was going wrong--or even THAT there was something wrong--until the pastor was gobsmacked with it at some meeting. Could be a potluck, could be parish council, could be a vestry meeting called at short notice. Somehow or other, in public, you were all of a sudden in big trouble.
    In larger Catholic parishes this sort of thing might happen between 2 rival groups, the Knights' Auxiliary and the Catholic Daughters, for example. (I'm willing to admit that in this sort of rivalrous feud, women are more likely to be the Hatfields and McCoys.)
    2) One of the Protestant denominations' government style is rather bureaucratic and centralized, particularly regarding pastoral appointments. That group had its own special problems that were not as evident in the four other denominations. Parishioners in that group knew that if they were squeaky wheels, they could get the pastor replaced in the next round of appointments. In some parishes, it had become quite a habit to oust the pastor after a couple of years--the community purge.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 CHGiffen
  • Jani
    I'm happy. Of course, I'm a volunteer (although I was surprised to read on the diocesan website that each of our parishes should strive to pay musicians something) and I can just walk away if things get too ugly! Mostly though, the benefits that come -even from volunteering - are so worth it!
  • Kathy
    Boy, wasn't I just a Debbie Downer?

On the other hand:

I've just been doing some work on St. Thomas Aquinas, and something that has struck me, again, is the incredibly positive attitude he has toward the moral life. It's utterly contextual. You do what you love. God helps you to love what is good. You develop habits of doing what you love well.

The reason this is incredible is because it goes completely against the grain of our duty-bound, grin-and-bear-it, hate-your-life-but-do-your-business culture.

To have the profession of music is an amazing gift. A paying job in the arts--how awesome is that? And it's all about praise! And it's all about bringing out those gifts in others!

So even though there are these problem situations, good grief, here is a large group of people making music in Catholic churches all over the world, and getting paid to do it. How great is that?
  • Jani
    Aquinas is the best! Dittos to everything else you said.
  • To have the profession of music is an amazing gift. A paying job in the arts--how awesome is that? And it's all about praise! And it's all about bringing out those gifts in others!

Yes, it is. And if it is just the individual musician we're talking about, that can sustain one through much trial and tribulation. But when one has a family, it's not just about the musician doing what he/she loves anymore. The "job satisfaction" points I mentioned become more important.

Anyway, I'd just like to hear if there are any situations like or close to what I mentioned.
  • CharlesW
    1. Yes that pastor and I see eye-to-eye on music.
    2. Choir works hard and is a group of older people. The humble part they don't always do so well. LOL.
    3. No, I am not paid well, but fortunately don't need the money. The parish has debt out the wazoo, so things won't change much as far as money goes.
    4. Congregation is very supportive.
    5. Pastor is strong and knows exactly what he wants.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Our family is very happy with our volunteer music program at our diocesan TLM since we have a pastor and visiting celebrants and community who are very supportive and encouraging.

No one ever questions or complains about my music selections; our choir members are talented and have willing hearts and open minds.

The only things on my wish list would be a pipe organ and another alto since I'm the only alto vs. 5 sopranos, two tenors and a baritone.
  • Yes. I'm very happy and in an almost ideal situation.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I don't know if the pastor and I necessarily see perfectly eye-to-eye on music, but he doesn't really get in my way either, so it's not much of an issue.

The choir is hard-working, willing to work with me, and kind people. Despite the occasional personality conflicts, they stick together and produce decent music every week. I am grateful for them.

I'm not paid to NPM/AGO scale, but I am not starving. The pastor doesn't mind me seeking out some other gigs/lesson teaching here and there to supplement my income. I make an okay income, and am grateful for the ability to get paid to make sacred music.

I work for a smallish parish that hasn't always had real quality music. I think they really appreciate the consistency that I have brought to the music program, and there aren't a bunch of malcontents, which makes things run smoother, to say the least.

My pastor trusts me and takes pretty good care of me. If all pastors treated their employees the way that I am treated, perhaps Catholic musicians would be a more cheerful bunch :)

I have a pretty good life, and I am glad that I went into Catholic music as my career.
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood Ally Jani
  • GavinGavin
    I haven't been posting much recently in an attempt to avoid putting too much in public. But I am now happily in my second week at my first full-time job! After 10 years of taking the tough little jobs, I'm now at a place where I have a supportive pastor, cooperative choir, and respectable compensation! And doing great music to boot. I have a few things I could find to gripe about, but overall it's a fantastic job and a great fit for me.

I guess the takeaway, Teachermom, is that your son may have to put up with a lot, but if he's serious about his career, it will pay off. That and, as one colleague wisely told me, "there is no perfect church."
  • GavinGavin
    (oh... and my job is at an Episcopal church.)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • jpal
    If all pastors treated their employees the way that I am treated, perhaps Catholic musicians would be a more cheerful bunch :)

Same for me. All of the complaints I have about my job (whether they remain internal or are vocalized to another poor suffering soul) are -- without exception -- resolved with a simple change of attitude on my part, from "Why aren't people [priests/parishioners/choristers] seeing/doing things the way I want/expect??? Graaaah!!!" to "How can I better be of service to God and to the people of my parish?" I have wasted many hours at work (and, dare I say, kilobytes on this forum) worrying about my legacy or some such ridiculousness, as if I was hired to build up my reputation. I still often descend into this. Paraphrasing Christ, "I already have my reward."

For me, I am happiest when I figure out what the next right step is for myself, and leave the result up to God. I know it's been a bad day if I leave with a worry-headache and don't know how I'll get through the week. I know it's been a good day if I want to go home and tell my wife and daughter that I love them.
  • I would encourage your son if that is something he truly wants to do. I think we're in a transition period in the church which has caused a lot of unrest. The sacro pop music of the 1970's has taken command, but is losing its strength. I would expect in the next several years, you'll find happier music directors when people become more accepting of sacred music and the older priests of the sacro pop generation retire and are replaced by younger, more vibrant priests who are willing to go the extra mile. While I certainly have had my challenges as DM of my parish, little by little I am seeing a change.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Musicteacher56, I am VERY hopeful that you are right. A solid majority of the seminarians that I know have a preference for good sacred music. Keep praying!!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The joy of a life lived in Christ is salutory in this life, brief and momentous, and unrelenting in trials.
    In answer to the question, I hear heaven in every tuned chord or perfect interval sung by those brave enough to work for that and even more (well beyond) under my flawed guidance but very good ear.
    If one is looking for happiness (a laughing Buddha, eg.) I don't recommend adherence to Christ. Joy, abstract as it is in this dimension, sure. Happiness? How does that measure up to resurrection?
    Thanked by 2Kathy expeditus1
  • matthewjmatthewj
    'tis the best of jobs...
    'tis the worst of jobs...

I think all of us have parts of every job we've ever had that have been wonderful and others that have been bad or worse. However, if I had to go back to 2007 and decide whether to go do my MA in philosophy or move to the USA and become a full-time music director, I'd make the same choice a million times over.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think there's a reason that guy in the old testament is named "JOB."

Just sayin'.
  • CharlesW
    You know, when Adam and Eve were driven out of the garden, work was one of the curses God put on them.
  • There is a threshold, I believe, where one can put up with "less than satisfactory" and where one's work becomes "casting pearls before swine." Not every situation is workable despite your attitude. If one is working in a parish where there is no appreciation of sacred music, what's the point?
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Jani
    Exactly, TM24. I am anxious to see how our little chant group is received when we first sing for Advent. At Mass today, the guitarist played a song that we've been singing for years, but she didn't practice and was totally off key, had to start over and yada yada - it was sad. People have gotten so used to behavior like that, and we have several converts who don't really know any better, that it will be interesting, to say the least.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    . At Mass today, the guitarist played a song that we've been singing for years, but she didn't practice and was totally off key, had to start over and yada yada - it was sad.

That's it, that's enough. If it's okay with you, Meloche, I'm taking over the guitarist's division of CMAA.
  • While I agree, TM24, I do see that there is hope. I am DM in a very small parish (I have 9 in my choir). They have been stuck in the 1970's with its sacro-pop music and refuse to come out, yet I've formed a Schola with people from surrounding parishes and also introduced sacred chant with the school children. It hasn't been easy and I've lost mot of my friends who feel I've gone "to the other side". I get constant complaints from parishioners who say the music is "too loud" despite the fact that when the drums, guitars, flutes, and keyboard were playing at decibels beyond human consumption, they loved it and constantly praised it. But every once in a while somebody will come up and say the music is beautiful and makes them more prayerful.

Yes, it is sometimes "casting peals before swine", but the rewards are great. Patience is the key. God bless in your ministry.
  • Jani--keep praying for your music ministry. I had one cantor who would go up to the ambo, start the responsorial psalm, be WAY off key or forget it totally, and ask to start again. That happened three times before I realized it was time for a major change and the gentlemen just wasn't up to being a cantor any more (he was aging quickly). I don't believe that people have gotten used to "bad behavior", just that they've become too complacent with what they consider to be "good". I've also found, however, that the converts are expecting more, not less. Being a DM in a ministry that is very subjective can be extremely difficult, but it is our job to produce the best we can for the ENTIRE parish, and I would bet that many in your parish are unhappy with what happened with the guitarist, but don't say anything about it.
  • But every once in a while somebody will come up and say the music is beautiful and makes them more prayerful.

Yes, this would make a difference.
  • Jani
    I should clarify...when I say guitarist, I mean that this is an individual who plays and sings by herself for two reasons: first, she sincerely believes that the singing should be accompanied, and two, because she never practices and can't read music but only knows how to chord, no one can sing with her because most of it is wrong. We in the pews just try to follow along as best we can, but I usually end up closing my book in frustration. She does NOT accompany me when I sing the responsorial psalm or the alleluia.

I've sung a capella, with piano and organ, and with guitar and it's been good. This chant business is new, I wish I'd have figured it out sooner, but I guess to everything there is a season, right?

• marajoymarajoy
    I wouldn't say I'm "very" happy at the moment, but I am relatively happy.
    I have been in positions where I was "very happy" and could have responded yes or mostly yes to all of your points.
    (Speaking of which, anyone who wants to be very happy ought to take another look at this job posting! http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/9845/director-of-music-st.-patrick-church-ann-arbor-mi )
  • Carl DCarl D
    But every once in a while somebody will come up and say the music is beautiful and makes them more prayerful.

An important lesson: We should aspire to be that person whenever and wherever possible. Encouragement is one of our gifts, right?
  • As a young priest, it would be encouraging to me to know that there are also young Catholic musicians who are being trained in the Church's vision for sacred music in the liturgy. So perhaps it may be encouraging to you to know that there are young priests that are learning this as well. So I am hopeful that fulfillment of your first element on your list will become more prevalent in the future if it may not be the case now.

God has a plan for each of us, so I would encourage your son above all to pray "God what do you want me to do?" He has created us for a specific participation in his own salvific mission. Jesus never asks us to do something that will make us miserable. It may not always be easy, but his calling for us will bring us the greatest measure of happiness we can have outside of heaven.

God bless,
    Fr. Vogel
  • Thank you, Fr. Vogel, for those words of wisdom and encouragement. I can't speak for anybody else on this forum, but I've definitely had my doubts where my own ministry is concerned, but truly feel called to carry on. And, when I look deep down inside, I know I'm doing His will, even if that means dying to self on a regular basis and allowing the Lord to direct the ministry.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • Thank you, Fr. Vogel--your words are very encouraging. I shared them with my son, and he thanks you as well.

Kathy
  • Humble (?) chorister, but it's all good by me. Yeah, I'd like to sing with better people, but then I'd be the one who couldn't keep up.
  • TCJ
    I'm not entirely unhappy, but I'm not happy either. I get along with my pastor and we pretty much agree on most things, but it seems music is the major disconnect. It's not that he asks me to do ridiculous things (I'm free to do almost what I please, if I want). He lets me do Latin, traditional hymns, etc. But I don't have the freedom to try singing the propers and he's satisfied with the toaster box of an "organ" that we have, despite having the funds to get something better. I just have the feeling that music is not at a high level of importance.

I wasn't professionally trained and I hadn't intended to go into church music as a career, but it's worked out that way somehow, but I do think I'd have spent the past seven years differently if I could rewind. For me, because I'm not a professional, the options for work are not great (I don't think they would be if I were). I also no longer have the illusion that I had some years before that working in a church is a great place to work. To me, it's been a letdown because I expect more of others in that place than I would elsewhere and I've found out it's often not true. Also, while I'm fine right now with my pittance of an income (not from being underpaid, but from lack of hours) it's necessary for me to work another job and just do this on the side to make anything that I can live on.

From my experience (and that alone) it seems that there are few churches that provide an ideal work place. You're going to run into liturgical innovations, grumpy choirs, squeaking parishioners, skinflint finance councils, sixty-year-old electronic organs, or very low income -- or some variation of that. A lot of them can be handled, but when grouped with the latter, it becomes very difficult.

That said, I don't want to discourage anyone because if we DON'T have good musicians working for the church then things will never improve. I do think (and some here have already proved that) there are some good places to work and pastors who need someone to help them overhaul (or maintain) a good music program. I think being prepared to move long distance (something I'm not willing to do), however, is probably going to be a requirement to find such a place. That and willing to possibly work a second job.

Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • I suspect my thread had more than a little to do with the sparking of this one.
    I am thankful to be where I am and in this profession and, yes, at THIS parish. Although I am struggling currently with sheep attacking, I am in a beautiful church with better than average adherence to liturgical norms and rubrics, with a beautiful HH Pipe Organ, and, for the most part, some truly wonderful people. The choir has grown significantly and, if nothing else, it is worth the struggle to help the NEW Liturgical Movement along. I am suffering and sacrificing a bit now, but it is all for the good of the congregation, the Liturgy and, naturally, for God. I'm not sure I would be as fulfilled in my Ministry if I had inherited a program that didn't need help.