"Fig-leafing" of texts
  • What are your thoughts on making certain texts "gender-neutral?"

I recently sang as a cantor for a mass where the SEP communion text was chamged from "sons of God" to "children of God."

A discussion on this followed. A good point which came up was that modern English tends tobe gender neutral and that "children of God" is a more accurate expression of what the text is saying.

However, we also came to the conclusion that one should not change classic texts of old hymns in order to modernise them, especially as this does an injustice to the hymn writers and can make their text awkward.

We used the term "fig-leaf" to describe when an older classic work has been tampered with. THIS is something which I severely dislike.

Your thoughts on the matter, please.
  • Kathy
    Remember that lady who tried to "restore" a piece of religious art and made it look like a cubist monkey?

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.
  • Kathy
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • chonakchonak
    This is an important enough question that it deserves some theological input. For example, in the concept of divine filiation, is there a difference in how Scripture uses the terms "sons of God" and "children of God"?

Sound doctrine and the Church's use of language should be decisive, and not just trends originating outside the Church. Much of the campaigning for so-called "inclusive language" had open socio-political motivations.

As for old hymns, I think changing the old texts for reasons of social acceptability is (a) insulting to the faithful, implying that we do not know what they mean; and (b) a creepy, Orwelliian attempt to deceive people's memories. I don't want to go so far as to say that all editing of texts is bad: sometimes editors change a text to make it more singable or avoid awkward constructions in an earlier version.
  • What do we do with newer texts and new compositions?

We came to the agreement that we should not tamper with classic texts, bit should new texts reflect the changes in our language?
  • chonakchonak
    We should take the Church's use of language as a model, whatever it --
    Hey: new texts? We don't need no steenking new --

Is Outrage!
    :-)
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • CharlesW
    Is outrage! Is political correctness run amok. Don't buy into it or enable it. So some old flower child gets their feelings hurt. They have to be grownups at some point, so they will get over it. I long ago realized that political correctness is about gaining power, not about equality.
  • CharlesW writes:

"They [old flower children] have to be grownups at some point."

Well, I wouldn't be too sure about this; the P.C. thought-police seem to have been pretty good at avoiding adulthood thus far ...

Years ago I remember reading about some mainline American Protestant parish where the hymn Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus was banned on the grounds of its alleged offensiveness toward the occupants of wheelchairs. Mercifully, I haven't heard about any other prohibitions of this hymn since.
  • Liam
    English usage evolves. (I view this as a feature, not a bug.) Right now, as a descriptive matter, one can say that older and newer usages coexist in varying degrees, such that the older usage is not yet archaic. But in many instances it may become archaic - or perhaps not. A church musician's job is not to accelerate or delay the evolution of the vernacular.

One thing that has happened much faster is that some of the relatively newer (18th/19th century - era of dictionaries and "school-marm" rules of rationalizing the language) rules of usage are fading. For example, rules of agreement such that "everyone" was forbidden to be matched with "their" rather than the singular "his". That rule of agreement, as a rule, was something of a latecoming novelty into the story of English, and is among the first to go. It's not something I would man the barricades over, shall we say.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • The issue in English as opposed to some other languages such as German, Polish, or Russian, is that we have no neutral, animate gender. Therefore, like Spansh and French, we have to use some gender-specific default, or be more specific to begin with. This is where using his/he/him to refer to mankind in general and in that sense, everyone/all people (including women) makes grammatical sense. Due to inclusive language, we are now breaking rules of our own so-beloved vernacular, such as using the animate plural possessive as a pronoun to refer to a singular person, whose gender may or may not be known.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We should sing in Latin. Problem solved.
  • BenBen
    This drive me nuts. It was not done because people don't understand what it means.

If you say "mankind", a liberal looney might get mad at you, but everyone will know that you are talking about all of humanity, not half. There's no need to neuter these old hymn, especially since it often destroys the poetry.
  • There used to be a term for the kind of surgery we're describing here: Bowdlerize.

Maybe specific examples will clarify.

God in man made manifest became God in flesh made manifest and, elsewhere, God in us made manifest.

Each of these is true at some level:

God was made manifest as a human person; God didn't merely appear to be human, but actually took on our nature; God was made manifest among us, and hence the term "emmanuel".

The purpose of the change, however, was to remove the offending word "man". "Man", according to the defenders of the change, is exclusive and male, both of which are evil things.

Man
    Mankind
    Humankind
    Hupersonkind
    Huperchildkind
    Huperchildindifferent
    Phylperchildindifferent

God in phylperchildindifferent made phylperchildindifferentifest.

Faith of our ancestral y-linked parental units

This one, however, will be left un-airbrushed: Turn back, O man, foreswear thy foolish ways.

• Echoing Chonak, IMO sons/daughters doesn't actually mean the same thing as children in contemporary usage. Son can connote responsible adult, even heir, whereas children almost never does, having instead the connotations immaturity, helplessness and dependance. Often Sons is a more accurate translation than children despite the apparent lack of gender neutrality.
  • ghmus7
    I recall reading the UCC companion to their hymnal... I recall they
    altered all texts referring to divinity, including Jesus to gender neutral
    terms. As well, no masuline terms were allowed to be sung in any of the hymn
    texts...But that's not all, they changed "Fairest Lord Jesus" because to
    call Jesus fair is racist. (White).As well, all references to heaven as "above" somewhere
    were changed as being inaccurate.
    But the worst still to me is the version of Faith of Our Fathers
    In all the GIA hymnals, not only is it a destruction of Fr. Fabers text,
    but it's so badly written as to be patently embarrassing. I can understand the
    political agenda of such work, but why can't the original be at least included
    as an alternate? That seems to be real intolerance, to actually attempting
    to blot an original hymn text out of existence.
  • CharlesW
    For the Year of Faith, we realized the "official" hymn was too rotten to bother with. We chose "Faith of Our Fathers," original text, since we felt the same as you, ghmus7, about the GIA text
  • Within my lifetime, the title "Mrs" has become functionally obsolete. And marriage is following close behind. The same thing will happen with adoption of sex-neutral language; the sexes will become as obsolete as biology will allow. Words have meanings. The name is not the thing, but without the name, it is virtually impossible to think about the thing. Desexing of hymns is the work of Satan.
  • JQ, I am in full sympathy with your pessimism. But you're assessment of "Mrs." is totally wrongheaded. Mrs. Clinton? Mrs. Obama? It would be jarring to hear "Ms." as a title for either of these women. You would have a much stronger argument for the demise of "Miss" since is is used rarely for any woman over the age of 12.
  • "Beatus vir qui timet Domino..." - "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord..."

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who will object to the specific use of "man" even though it refers to a hypothetical "man" who stands as a representative for any member of humanity (mankind).

"Beati quorum via integra est qui ambulant in lege Domini..." - "Blessed are they whose way is integrity (righteousness), who walk in the law of the Lord..."

There are plenty of clear instances even in the psalms when the text is non gender-specific. I believe that people would have always understood the reference to "man" (as I have previously stated) and it's meaning.

When I was speaking of "new texts" I suppose I should have clarified that I was speaking of two groups of texts. The first being original modern compositions of lyrics, and the second being translations of or paraphrases of older or scriptural texts.

In the case of the latter, I would not want to tamper with the text, as I would follow the guidelines of the Vox Clara commission. However, if I were creating an entirely new and original text, I might be inclined to use terminology which reflects contemporary language. At the same time, I might decide that I want to use an older (or archaic) form of English to link my work with the tradition of hymn writing.
  • Since "modern" is often an antonym of "beautiful", and that which is used for the worship of God must represents our best efforts, most texts which attempt to use contemporary use have to be avoided. Not everything written in the modern era is ugly, but I can't think of something self-consciously written in the modern idiom (or worse yet, the post-modern idiom) which would pass muster as suitable for the worship of Almighty God.

I wouldn't attempt to rescue the texts, but to reject them.
  • tomjaw
    I might be inclined to use terminology which reflects contemporary language

And would that be Text Speak / Language?

I don't think there is a single modern contemporary use, the problem is some people would like us to think there is one use, or they would like there to be one usage.

In reality there are now many uses.
  • chonakchonak
    When I suggested getting some theological input, I already had a source in mind: I asked Fr. Mark Kirby, prior of Silverstream Priory in Ireland, about hartleymartin's question. Fr. Kirby studied liturgical theology at Catholic U. and has lectured at the CMAA colloquium, and he offered this comment:
    I would tend not to replace "sons" with "children" given the theological and, especially, Christological, weight of the word "son" in the whole biblical, patristic, and liturgical tradition. The use of the word "sons" is a reference to The Son; we are "sons in the Son" — filii in Filio — and the grace of Baptism, given to men and women alike, is one of divine filiation. The danger with using "children" in place of "sons" is that it obscures the Christological reference without which nothing makes sense.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    written in the modern idiom (or worse yet, the post-modern idiom)

For those of you who, like me, had trouble figuring out what a modern or post-modern hymn-writing idiom is (or how they differ from each other), I have, after careful research, devised the following examples:

Modern: Robots have taken away my job.
    Post-Modern: I took it back, yo.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz Kathy
  • Arthur, it's interesting to me that the two counterexamples you gave were of women who, regardless of how competent they may be on their own, are public figures because of their husbands.
  • You're absolutely right about those two, but "Mrs." has legs. This may be partly because "Ms." (the alternative) has a bad connotation in a variety of contexts. People use it when calling a woman on the carpet, or ridiculing her status in sexual relationships. Does anyone doubt that "Ms." in contemporary usage signifies a low-status female? There are positive contexts of course, young and inexperienced. But still....
  • Oh, well, Arthur Connick, I can assure you that in Australia, "Ms." is utterly inescapable. (I've seen "Ms. Obama" in Melbourne newspapers, for instance, to refer to Michelle.) Very, very occasionally the term will be used sarcastically about some femocrat or other here, but in practice this means no more than "very, very occasionally I myself, or some other equally aged male, will use it sarcastically about some femocrat or other."
  • This will be a topic when I go further into my theological studies. I intend to do a coursework Masters of Theology and eventually a PhD, hopefully with a thesis on liturgy. This is still several years away.
  • Good luck with the coursework, Mr. Hartley; will you be undertaking it in Sydney?
  • Kathy
    Careful, many graduate programs in theology require inclusive language!
  • Liam
    " Does anyone doubt that "Ms." in contemporary usage signifies a low-status female?"

I most assuredly doubt that.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    " Does anyone doubt that "Ms." in contemporary usage signifies a low-status female?"

yeah, I've never heard anything like that.
    Ever.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've been contemplating offering my opinions and thoughts on the matter of this thread, and have so far decided against it.

Those of you who have frequented this forum for some time know that I am, generally speaking, a proponent of some implementations of gender-inclusive language.

Specifically: I am opposed to the use of the word "Man," or other male-specific terminology, in reference to non-gender-specific persons, people, or humanity generally.

I have weighed in on many other threads that covered precisely the same issue, and the result tends to be an increase in hostility and nastiness, and very little found common ground.

So, other than to mention my own opinion matter (so that, at least, you know that there are otherwise reasonable people who disagree with what's been said above), I don't intend here to get into an argument or discussion about it. If any of you are actually curious about my thoughts on the matter, a search through the Forum archives will likely turn up several previous threads where I have, at least partially, expressed my thoughts on the matter.

One of the moderators suggested to me privately that I should take the time to write out my complete thoughts on the matter at my own blog, where I can develop my thinking and argument on the issue more fully.

I intend to do so.

But in the mean time, I would like to offer a couple small points about this issue which have occurred to me recently, and have relevance in other areas even if you disagree with my thinking on the gendered language issue.

A) If the purpose of having liturgy in the vernacular is so that the content of the prayers is made explicitly known to the people so that it can be understood, then does it make sense to use language which, because of the evolution of language, now communicates something which was not originally intended by the text?

II) If vernacular hymns and songs are not really a part of the liturgy, but something added to it for the primary purpose of assisting the congregation in their devotional practices, does it make sense to use language which places barriers to that devotion among some of the faithful? Moreover, if vernacular hymns and songs are not part of the liturgy, does it really matter if they are altered to reflect a change in the vernacular?
  • "Ms." is obviously the lower status honorific because it is generic.
  • Kathy
    Generic. Like "Mr."
    Thanked by 3Liam JL CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Adam,

I'm with you on the status of hymns, basically. They aren't exactly liturgical texts.

But, I think they fall under "the spirit of Liturgiam Authenticam" because they are widely used as though they were liturgical texts. You and I both know that Alleluia, Sing to Jesus bears no resemblance to the Communion Antiphon--but here we are, singing it.

Even more, I wonder whether anyone is really ever that bothered by non-inclusive language. I've repeated this anecdote so many times that I'm not sure I'm not making it up, but I think I read it somewhere that a poll was taken of some Christians about the necessity of inclusive language in liturgy (or scripture) and the overwhelming response was, "What is inclusive language?"
  • Yes, like "Mr." But there are no commonly used alternative honorifics for men, so "Mr." doesn't convey relative status in the same way as "Ms.", "Mrs." and "Miss".
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I wonder whether anyone is really ever that bothered by non-inclusive language.

I know some people.

Moreover, I think that's a really bad gauge:
    How many people are bothered by all the other bad things that happen at liturgy all the time?
  • Kathy
    Mr., as opposed to Sir or Your Excellency or Your Majesty.

Just plain old no-count Mr.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Liam
  • Adam,

(i) Language evolves. But how it has evolved is an empirical question. Claims that particular uses of language now communicate something not originally intended need to be backed up by evidence.

2. Language usage is not uniform. Even individual English speakers typically vary their usage substantially depending on immediate social circumstances. There is no single usage that can provide a touchstone for intelligibility.

c) The Catholic world has its own particular meanings for English words and phrases and its own ways of employing them. This constitutes an authentic usage within the boundaries of the English speaking world.

IV The conflict over inclusive language is not really about any of these things, but rather about the meaning of the Catholic faith.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes, like "Mr." But there are no commonly used alternative honorifics for men, so "Mr." doesn't convey relative status in the same way as "Ms.", "Mrs." and "Miss"

The thrust of your argument is that marital status is the defining characteristic of a woman. That language has shifted towards a non-specific honorific suggests that society, in general, disagrees with that.

While I am opposed to that type of gender inequality, I am firmly in support of marriage, and wish that the trend had gone in the opposite direction: special designators for men based on whether they are married or not.

Since "Mr." (Mister) is short for "Master" (as in "Master of the house") I propose we reserve that title for married men, who have an house to be a master of.

Unmarried men, who have not otherwise taken on the responsibility of a religious calling, should be prefixed with "Dm." which is to be pronounced "dim," and which is short for "Dudemeister," or "Master of Dudes."
  • Yes, "Mr." is lower status than titles such as "Sir". I didn't bring up titles because they are typically grants from some authority, or the result of election or appointment. People react to them in different ways. I've always thought it particularly funny to hear reference to "Sir Elton John", or "Sir Mick Jagger". As celestial beings already, why would they embrace dropping a notch to mere knight?
  • Liam
    Kathy

Don't forget the archaic (one hopes) usage of "Boy" (as a term formerly specificcally addressed to men of a specific race).

• Liam
    " "Ms." is obviously the lower status honorific because it is generic."

(Buzz.) Wrong answer.
  • (On the light side:

I can't get Moliere's Bourgeois Gentilhomme out of my head when we discuss the generic "Mr.")

On the serious side:

I want to commend Adam for his restraint -- self described -- in waiting before posting. Thank you, sir, for choosing the path of restraint.

If I can follow in the newly-esteemed Adam's footprints, not in waiting, but in proposing very calmly a disagreement with him, here it is:

1) In regard to changing already composed texts, it seems to me that published texts (copyright and all) should be treated with respect. Those in the public domain should be treated as venerable in direct connection to their age.

2) In regard to newly composed texts, so-called "inclusive" language is like so-called tolerance, and should be treated with a healthy skepticism. If an individual worsdsmith wishes to write by using so-called Inclusive language, surely one can not prevent him, but at the same time, since so-called inclusive language is only one trend in the development of the language, it can't claim primacy merely because it has the loudest microphone.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam, I think you are mistaken here. The term you mention was specifically addressed to men not of a specific race.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "Boy" and "girl" and their equivalents have been used in many languages and cultures to denote servants of any age, regardless of race/ethnicity. (See "puer" in Latin, which means a boy, but also a slave.)

Language is tricky. Much trickier than most people give it any credit for.
  • CharlesW
    You folks need to learn to speak Southern (tongue-in-cheek)
    Boy = any male
    Girl = any female, but especially flattering to older ladies
    Ms = liberal feminist agitator
    Mr - a male older than you
    Mrs = someone's wife
    Miss = a very young lady
    Man = anyone of either sex, as in, that's really cool, man.
    Y'all = all men, women, and children
    Papist = Catholic
    Idol worshiping heathen - see Catholic above
    Democrat = be out of town by nightfall, if you know what's good for you.
    Thanked by 2R J Stove jpal
  • Liam
    Arthur,

Point taken on that score. I had thought of wording it that way, but the usage did vary in that regard. In any event, to openly call someone Mr who was not customarily permitted to be called Mr could be a risky gambit.
  • chonakchonak
    Isn't "Ms." the revival of a practice from the 1700s?
    Anyway, folks down South have addressed ladies as "Miz Such-and-such" for longer than the modern feminist movement has.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Language evolves, but religion is a conservative sector of culture and need make no apology for being so.

... especially when the demand for change is an attempt to gain power by manipulating language.
    ... especially when ideologues demand to reduce the multiple meanings of the word "man" to a single meaning (male), thereby reducing the freedom of English speakers. (Orwell knew this too!)
    ... especially when the hurt feelings are not based on real offenses but on the skewed interpretation of language which is propagandized.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Liam
    The problem with that is that the "especially"s are not the only reasons the language evolves in this way.