Gregorian chant, a textbook for seminaries, novitiates and secondary schools (1945)
  • BGP
    If anyone is wondering... it's great.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, I looked through it, too. This is a real treasure.
  • chonakchonak
    I've sent Jeffrey a note to ask if it's something CMAA might want to reprint.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Ben
  • BGP
    I have an original print copy, if for some reason the CMAA needed to do it's own scan for reprinting I would be willing to donate it.
  • yes, let's please do this.

Please send to
    GOLDEN IMAGES LLC

7452 Rivermont Trail
    House Springs, MO 63051
    Phone: 636 375 9999

info@pdfdocument.com

Note to bill the CMAA
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • note the sentence that this book has permission to use the rhythmic markings. Reminder: the chant was fettered for like a century with this copyright nonsense.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Yes it looks like a fine book.

But the text represents a great deal of work, and it is copyrighted ... don't see how it could be legally reprinted (or even posted online) without permission from the Gregorian Institute: Copyright, 1945, by Gregorian Institute
  • When archive.org post things they thoroughly research and this is their determination which you will find on the page:

Possible copyright status: determined to be in the public domain

GIA has obviously abandoned this book...

Let's all get back on topic.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Wow... this is great.
  • tomjaw
    I thought that in the U.S. that the copyright had to be renewed, after 25 years? This I believe has now changed to fit in with International ideas of copyright.

I think the old system was running in 1945.
  • BGP
    Jeffrey- sorry, I just send the book to that address with a note that says bill to CMAA and all will be taken care of?
  • Looking online, it seems that this book was republished in 2007 by Kessinger Publishing. There are a lot of copies available on bookfinder.com (more than 50).
  • http://www.jpwalter.com/machina/?p=199

Anyone can take a PD book and be a publisher - read the comments here before buying...
  • Very interesting TCC. Still, I don't know about reprinting this. There are 7 used copies of the original 1945 edition right now on Abe Books. I occasionally search broadly for any used books related to Gregorian Chant, and multiple copies of the original of this always pop up. My guess is that is was used in a lot of places and there are still a lot of the originals around. I would suggest checking used book websites before buying a reprint. (Got an unmarked, tight copy for $8 a couple of years ago.)

Update: If you search for "Klarmann" on eBay right now, you will find a listing for this book. There's a fold-out between pages 64 and 65 with is displayed nicely in the accompanying photos.
  • WendiWendi
    Thanks. Always looking for ways to increase my knowledge.
  • BGP
    I mailed the book to the scanners a couple of weeks ago and recieved it back from them friday . so it should be availiable soon.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • I bought a copy of it myself on Abebooks (several originals are available there as well as a print on demand and a reprint) so that I could see an original version of it. As Arthur Connick mentioned, however, it is still widely available at reasonable prices from Abebooks and a reprint from another printer is being sold on Amazon as well for about $15+.

I'm not sure that the CMAA should print and keep inventory of it when it is still so readily available. I have loaned my original copy to David Hughes, who is doing an evaluation of it. We have uploaded the scan of the original to the CMAA site. I'd appreciate input from forum members about the book.

@BGP: Thanks very much for providing your book to be scanned. I'm very sorry they destroyed your original in the process. It is my experience that Golden Images can usually get a pretty good scan even with a non-destructive scan, so I'm surprised it was necessary in this case.

We'll keep you posted.
    Thanked by 1BGP
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for reviving this thread, Janet. I looked through it again and see that Fr. Klarmann taught at the Cathedral College in Brooklyn, and the book was given a forward and imprimatur by Bishop Molloy, the Bishop of Brooklyn. I'm a great admirer of Bishop Molloy's work, and our Latin Mass is in the Diocese of Brooklyn so this is a very happy discovery.