Low Mass with Music
  • BenBen
    Can someone describe the low Mass with music to a newbie only fimiliar with a silent low Mass and the full sung Mass?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Mass happens up there. Singing happens down here.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Ben
  • Kathy
    The low Mass happens when the choir can't manage to get through some of the sung propers, even Rossiniing, and/or the priest doesn't dang want to sing some or all of his chants.

Characteristically in the States, a sung-ish low Mass has four hymns. Wow, that sounds familiar. English is fine.

In other words, the low Mass was the beginning of, "Oh gosh, who cares what we sing, anyway. What's that one song that I like, how does it go?"
  • BenBen
    I guess I should explain more...the scheduling of the celebrant is up in the air...we won't know until later if the designated celebrant will or will not be able to do a Missa Cantata. I would hate to prepare my schola with the propers if we can't use them.

So right now, I'm thinking of doing the propers myself (if we have a sung Mass), then have the schola do other misc chants (ave verum, ave maria, etc...) and the ordinary either way. Is that acceptable to sing misc. chants and the ordinary?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    An EF Low Mass with an excellent organist doing improvisations when allowed throughout the Mass is a wonderful liturgical experience.

There. I said it.
    Thanked by 2Salieri G
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You could plan a Missa Cantata, and then revert to a Latin Novus Ordo, at which you can then sing whatever Propers etc. you want.
  • Kathy
    Ben, it depends on who you ask. Some say that you're not allowed to do anything unless you do everything. I think this has generally been the received wisdom in the States. I'm not sure what the legislation says, i.e., whether you're allowed to sing the ordinary if the priest does not sing the Mass.
  • BenBen
    We will have an organist. I'm planning on using improv, if allowable.

Adam, actually a good idea, but it wouldn't work here. Ironically enough, the low-mass-only celebrant already knows how to SING the OF in latin. He just doesn't know the EF rubrics yet for sung Masses... so it's funny you say that.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would hate to prepare my schola with the propers if we can't use them.

Ben, as a teacher and director I have to remind you that it is not about the journey's end, but the journey. They will always benefit for having learned any particular propers, and that will "pay off" elsewhere down the road.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • Places for music at a low mass include-

Prelude
    Entrance hymn (can be a vernie)
    Offertory
    Post-consecration
    Communion
    Final hymn (again, can be a vernie)
    Postlude

I've been told no parts of the actual music OF the mass may be sung, only music AT the mass. This would mean no Ordinary chants. I've also been told no vernacular during the mass, but that's been bended lots...

Low mass with hymns is where the four-hymn sandwich originated, fwiw.
  • It sounds like it is acceptable to sing miscellaneous chants and the Ordinary, or even chant the Propers and the Ordinary at a Low Mass. See ccwatershed blog of 19 August 2013, by Jeff Ostrowski, entitled: "Singing Propers and Ordinary...at Low Mass?" This is BIG news for musicians who deal with the EF Form. It flat out refutes what MaryAnn said above. And furthermore, it seems to be correct and is perfectly logical.
  • Hilluminar, to be clear, I'm not trying to prove anything. I didn't rule out possibilities. I'm relaying what I've been told to do, and quite clearly, as DoM at a FSSP parish for the last five years. (St. Anne Church, San Diego)

Low Mass with sung ordinary and propers would be a surprise to most musicians actually and regularly working in the EF. I have no major personal feeling about it, no dog in the fight, just speaking from experience.

Ben, maybe the best thing to do is check with the celebrant? What is perfectly logical to musicians may or may not be allowed, or may be a matter of ambiguity. At any rate, the celebrant should be able to give assistance.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • shawnk
    Hey Ben,

As others have suggested, above, standard music for Low Mass (in the EF) would include all organ or else some combination of organ and sung music.

Most typically, one would hear the following...
    * Processional Hymn
    * Offertory Hymn
    * Communion Hymn
    * Recessional Hymn

The hymns used must be appropriate for the part of Mass during which they occur, and unlike at High Mass, the vernacular language may be used for the hymns during the actual Mass, when appropriate.

Also, respectfully, if you read "De Musica Sacra..." (1958) and contrast Paragraph 25 (relating to High Mass) with Paragraphs 28-33 (relating to Low Mass), then it is pretty clear that the document does not envision that the Ordinary and Proper will be sung at Low Mass. Personally, I think the spirit of the instruction from Rome in 1958 outweighs a magazine interview from the 1930's.

The above-mentioned document contains more specifics (such as when the organ should and should not be played at Low Mass). You may read an English translation, here.

Cheers.
  • dad29
    Shawnk is correct.
  • chonakchonak
    While the documents forbade a sung ordinary (K, G, C, S, A) at Low Mass, it was commonly done in the 1950's and later. (I wasn't there, but local musicians who were there have told me so.)

Is that enough to justify the practice as an approved custom, since it was obviously approved by the pastors of the Church at the time? I don't know. But if you want, you can propose it to your pastor, and see if he agrees.
  • Thanks to J. Ostrowski for publishing the interview with Dom Hugle. So both ordinary and proper was allowed in Low Mass. The only answer to that is following: preserving the tradition does not mean repeating every single mistake from the past. Perhaps, better is to have silence if the priest says a Missa Lecta, or vernacular hymns, or organ music. If choirs will start to sing ordinary and propers over Missae Lectae some priests will conclude that they need not sing at all: the choir will do all the beautiful music anyway.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • BenBen
    If choirs will start to sing ordinary and propers over Missae Lectae some priests will conclude that they need not sing at all: the choir will do all the beautiful music anyway.

Exactly one of the common problems with the OF...
    Thanked by 1Andris Amolins
  • tomjaw
    As far as we understand it, we can have any of the following (N.B. This only applies to the EF):

Low Mass, aka silent / quiet mass
    Low Mass with hymns, (in this case 'hymn' can mean vernacular song)

Missa Cantata, Full Proper and Ordinary are sung.
    We sing quite a few Masses during the week, so finding enough Altar Servers can be a problem, so we regularly use the permission to have a Missa Cantata with low Mass ceremonies. N.B. The priests parts are sung as normal, but there will be no incense / candles.

Of course we can also have the full High Mass.

During the 20th c. other options became available such as a dialog Mass, and various uses in Europe that replaced the Propers with some song. This of course led to the N.O. and do we really want to go there with the EF.

If we want we can always have the N.O. in Latin, with whatever 'music' we like.

I sing at the E.F. because the options are limited, so I cannot be forced to sing some English song or other music unsuitable for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
  • Kathy
    Is there anyone who has all the relevant legislation at the ready, who might be able to clear this up once and for all? You would think there would be liturgical law on this point.
  • Pope Pius X exhorted the faithful: don't sing AT Holy Mass; sing the Holy Mass.

I've always thought that a "Low Mass with music" was a hybrid, a compromise, an attempt to do two things at once.

That said, one could, quite reasonably, end Mass with the singing of the relevant Marian antiphon - which, at present, for more than one reason, is the Salve Regina.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Someone look at Joncas' book, a smart, little tome that answers questions (not all) in a chronological manner. I'll go into the office later this morning and take a look. Does "CEREMONIES OF THE ROMAN RITE" address this? This is absolutely no interest to me personally (so why comment?). Well, there's a certain long article at another important blog about Missa Lecta's/Recitata's that has me flummoxed.
  • tomjaw
    The Rubrics in the Liber see below for a discussion,

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/7105/liber-usualis-anybody-have-a-copy-with-rubrics-in-english-from-before-1961-/p1

Also from the LMS online ordo;

http://www.lms.org.uk/find-a-mass/liturgical-notes-2013
    Quote.
    "Sacred Music

During High or Sung Mass nothing may be sung in the vernacular.

If the Sanctus and Benedictus are sung in plainsong they are chanted without a break between them, otherwise the Benedictus is to be sung after the Consecration.

During the Consecration all singing must cease, nor may the organ (or any other musical instrument) be played.

The Communion antiphon is sung as the Celebrant distributes Holy Communion. If anything else is sung it is to follow the Communion antiphon.

(De Sacra Musica - Instruction of the Sacred Congregation of Rites on Sacred Music and Liturgy 3rd September 1958)"

N.B. "CEREMONIES OF THE ROMAN RITE" does not seem to have a section on the choir / schola, or not what I could see in this older edition.

http://archive.org/stream/ceremoniesofrom00fort#page/140/mode/2up
  • BGP
    I reccomend erring on the side of caution and adhering to what is here-

http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/lowmass.pdf

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • This would be a great option for a pastroal approach to Spanish-speaking congregations in the U.S. at Epiphany, many of whom continue to celebrate Three Kings' Day on January 6.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Perhaps, better is to have silence if the priest says a Missa Lecta, or vernacular hymns, or organ music. If choirs will start to sing ordinary and propers over Missae Lectae some priests will conclude that they need not sing at all: the choir will do all the beautiful music anyway.

Bingo.

The Missa Cantata is totally doable. Just do it.
    Thanked by 1Andris Amolins
  • rogue63
    Does anyone else see the very existence of Low Masses as a liturgical abuse? I attended Low Masses for three years and came to hate them.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • Rogue63, I do. The Low Mass did not exist for the first 1,000 of the Church's existence, and has never existed in any of the Eastern Rites. It is what I have trouble with. I never have trouble with the High Mass because the Propers (the psalms) are ordered for each Mass, and the psalms ARE the music of the Church, and always have been, since the beginning. The Ordinaries are the "hymns of the faithful". And when we speak to God in the public prayers of the Church, we should do so in a formal and elevated voice: chant.

I have also had trouble with this idea: it is ok at a Low Mass to sing a paraphrase of a psalm in hymn form, rather than the actual psalm itself, if the psalm constitutes one of the Propers of the Mass. That seems crazy to me.
  • rogue63, hilluminar, I'm very sympathetic to your perspective. Today, the EF for the Latin Rite suffers from a "low Mass culture". People - and priests - do not understand the objective value of the the sung liturgy. Which is to say, they really don't understand the liturgy itself.

But... What do you think a priest 1500 years ago did when he celebrated public mass without singers to chant the lections and the psalms? Certainly there must have been such occasions. And what do you suppose he did when he celebrated Mass with no ecclesial infrastructure at hand in order to supply the angelic food to the faithful?

A "low Mass" perhaps?
  • rogue63
    In 513 AD, the liturgy was not offered daily, only Sundays and feast days, when all the faithful would have been there. Non sequitur. Even if such a tragedy as an unsung liturgy occurred, it was an error--and exception---an aberration, and a thing to be avoided.

And so what if you have no singers or chanters? Lean on someone real hard, and make them do it. The worship of Almighty God is worth our effort.
  • CharlesW
    Every time I have referred to the low mass as an aberration, the Tridentine pitchforks have been aimed in my direction by the incense huffers, bell clangers, and mantilla tossers. ;-) It is an aberration and it has warped and distorted the reality of what the mass was, is, and should be for hundreds of years. It departs from early Church practice and even in the east, Liturgy is only offered on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holy Days. Since Vatican II, it has had an even greater ill effect since nearly every sacrament in the western Church is somehow folded into it. None of them seem to stand on their own any more. The whole idea of shortening the mass and making it convenient is anything but good practice. If you are going to have Divine Liturgy, do it right! And no, you won't perish in the flames if you don't go to daily mass.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood dad29
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    cf: Some of my thoughts
    http://musicforsunday.com/2013/random-thoughts-on-liturgical-style
    >> Symbols half-done are not symbols; they are talismans and witchcraft.

I no more wish to denigrate the piety of the Low Mass crowd than I do the Folk Mass crowd. But my strong opinion (in re: the Low Mass aesthetic) is that it seems to be based on a "what's the least we can do and still have a sacrament" approach, which seems awfully close to "what are the secret ingredients and magic words," which seems awfully close to "talismans and witchcraft."

God COULD HAVE provided grace and salvation with a mere thought or snap of his metaphorical fingers. Instead, he chose an abundance of materiality, a lavish outpouring of full humanity.

Which leads me to two conclusions about liturgy and worship:

1. If the purpose of liturgy is to offer to God the worship and praise due to him, then we ought to attempt (however feeble that attempt may be) to lavishly and abundantly pour out our lives and our material blessings before him.

2. If the purpose of liturgy is to show or demonstrate the mysteries of God's grace and salvation to the people of God in a way that will help them experience and understand that grace, then we ought to attempt (however feeble that attempt may be) to present a lavish and abundant image of God's grace and salvation.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I, too with Adam, sense a subtle shift in sensibilities being expressed in a number of locations on the web. I alluded to forum member Dr. Kwasniewski's article at NLM regarding the history and argued-for graces that "attend" the return of the silent canon, and unlike most of the commentators there, remain unconvinced though not unsympathetic.
    But there's always a "long and short" of things, and I don't presume to have confidence in myself, other liturgical fellow travelers, nor the faithful in general that all of us have the skinny on the purpose of liturgy in a unified field mentality.
    The WWJD part of me keeps whispering "I came that you might have life, life in abundance." In that perspective I'm with Adam, we offer those such fruits, bitter or sweet, back to the Lord in concert with His sacrifice. But it is extremely difficult to imagine a reinstitution of systematic "interiorization" of silent prayer, contemplation or daydreaming, clock-watching on the other hand now that the horses of VII are out of the barn. (All these metaphors!)
    As a musician that has a long-life belief that music, not math, is the sacral language of the cosmos, I cannot imagine the regimen of a silent Mass, and also find the construct of the low Mass, hymn sandwich aberrant. I know that in the canon being uttered in secreto I KNOW there remains these words from humans, "now let us join heavenly choirs in an unending hymn of praise as we exclaim...." Mere contemplation of that alone seems a ridiculous folly.
    Plus, after listening to some pretty wise sages, mostly priests (Jesuits at that), tell me about the realities of the 20th century low Mass experience, then I am even more skeptical of those who would reinvent and glamorize that history with fanciful semantics and rhetoric.
    This might have seemed to some a rant, it's not. I'm actually quite confused over why we Catholics obsess about "sacred treasury, deposit of faith,and inheritance" as if they were golden calfs. Go to Mass. Participate. But don't come back to your laptop and perform an autopsy about it.
  • dad29
    In the Archdiocese in which I grew up, vernacular DURING the Mass, "high" or "low", was forbidden. Before, yup. After, yup. During? Never.

As to the larger controversy over "low Mass": yes, it is an aberration, at least according to a very well-studied priest who calls himself "the legitimate liturgist." But an aberration is not necessarily malum in se; it's just an aberration.

Pragmatism, by the way, is also not an evil per se. Try stuffing the full-boat Missa Cantata into 6 Sunday Masses--all starting before noon, mind you--with 750+ communicants at each Mass, and filling/clearing the parking lot.

Remember that the Sunday Mass used to be considered a grave obligation. So what was a parish pastor to do?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I just posted some thoughts on a related subject...
    http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/10/the-best-we-can-do.html
  • CharlesW
    Dad29, I agree with the logistics and practicality of moving large numbers of people in and out on Sunday. We have the same issues with parking. Our 100-year-old building was not sized for one or two gigantic masses each Sunday, but for multiple masses. If we had been a Protestant church, a building 5 times the size would have been built. Different mindset at work.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yeah- I don't think places have multiple Masses because of too-small buildings, but rather the other way around.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I worked at a HUGE church once that was built on a small road with only one entrance to the parking lot. We knew if we went over an hour at any Mass that we would cause CHAOS to not only our parishioners but the entire city. The weeks following Easter and Christmas each year were spent going through hate-mail from local citizens who were held-up for an hour by our parking situation.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yeah, Mat-tyieux, try having the opposite happen: many's the time that in our burg of 130K people the local motorcycle club calls for a fun run, or even a toy run that gets sanctioned by the council and police but not publicized. So I'm not on my Harley trying to get to church across a thousand bikers blocking access from the south side to the north side of town on an important feast day. OMGosh, patience becomes a bit less a virtue.
    I guess that would fall under the category of a low-rider, or easy-rider Mass.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Re: the question about singing the Ordinary and Propers at a Low Mass, I agree with ShawnK that De Musica Sacra in Section 31 makes it very clear that the faithful are not to sing the Ordinary and Proper, though they are allowed to recite them with the priest.

I would just add from personal experience with an elderly priest who pretty much invented his own "hybrid Mass" and combined the Missa Cantata with the Missa Lecta, that things can quickly become pretty strange and dysfunctional when you start randomly mixing the two.

The schola would get directions before Mass from Father depending (from what we surmised) on how long he planned to homilize that day. He would tell us whether he wanted us to sing or say the Kyrie or the Gloria or the Creed. The Graduale and Alleluia were also always up for grabs on any given day.

Needless to say, we decided after a few weeks that mixing and matching probably wasn't kosher from what we could tell from reading the documents on the liturgy and after speaking with the priests from St. John Cantius in Chicago so we quietly resigned from that music program.

I really think Father was so used to "winging it" in the Novus Ordo Missae over the last forty years that he just assumed you could do the same in the EF.
  • I agree with a Melkite Deacon who complained that the trouble with the Latin church is that we have mass for everything, when an hour of the Divine Office would be more appropriate. Daily Mass is something which came about from Western monasticism.

At the annual school awards night at St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta (Australia) we have done sung vespers instead of mass for a few years and it is well-received. It also means that the well-meaning, but liturgically illiterate who would otherwise organise the event cannot have any say over what music is provided, as they must go with the set Psalms and use hymns from the Divine Office.

There is also now the problem where people view mass as the only thing which one needs to attend. At several conference and retreats I have organised music for, a mere fraction of the attendees ever come to Lauds or Vespers.
  • CharlesW
    Agreed, hartleymartin. My Byzantine parish has Vespers every Saturday evening. If I were not able to get to a Divine Liturgy or a Mass on Sunday, Vespers would suffice. Easterners don't really believe in obligations in the Latin sense, and Vespers is an acceptable substitute. The Latins don't know what they are missing. The Divine Office or Divine Praises is rich with theology and symbolism and leads to a greater faith and prayer life.
  • Low Mass has not gone away in the OF, not by a longshot. Many Sunday Masses are without music, or have the four-hymn sandwich plus a resp. psalm and a random Agnus Dei or some such. They are practically low masses with 2-3 pieces of bonus music. Some have a little more. Still, most all of our masses are not fully sung liturgies.

So lets not get too puffed up about low mass.

Virtually all weekday masses at typical OF only parishes are essentially low masses, with people saying their parts, same as before the council. Does anyone here honestly think that fully sung liturgies every day of the week are doable in most parishes? Is anyone suggesting that pastors stop offering mass publicly on weekdays because no mass should happen if its not fully sung?

For Sundays, how many choirs will stick around and sing for 3-4 masses? A cantor and an organist isn't the liturgical ideal either. But we do it out of practical necessity.

So, again, let's not get too puffed up about the existence of low mass.

Do I think low mass is the pinnacle of public worship? No, of course not. We can wax poetic about the beauty of sung liturgy, and (like me!) pour out our blood, sweat, and tears into training armies of choral singers to sing Gregorian chant and polyphony. At the end of the day, we all must do our best and face practical realities on the ground. Low mass is a practical reality.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Low Mass has not gone away in the OF, not by a longshot. Many Sunday Masses are without music, or have the four-hymn sandwich plus a resp. psalm and a random Agnus Dei or some such. They are practically low masses with 2-3 pieces of bonus music. Some have a little more. Still, most all of our masses are not fully sung liturgies.

Yup.

So lets not get too puffed up about low mass.

I dunno- that sounds like a perfect reason to get puffed up about it. :)
  • I've done weekday masses where only the ordinary, psalm and gospel acclamation were sung plainchant and quiet organ music covered for the introit, offertory and communion.
  • I guess what I mean to say is that if low mass is an aberration, so is every weekday and Sunday OF read mass and mass with only hymns. By the aberration line of logic, every partially sung mass would also be partly an aberration.

So, it's not accurate to say the low mass is the problem of this or that small group. It's an issue for the whole Latin Church.

The realization of fully sing liturgy is an ideal in both forms. For practical reasons, though, the low mass is not going away in either form.
  • rogue63
    MaryAnn has said it for me---every weekday and Sunday "recited" Mass is an aberration. Our sins are aberrations; our death is an aberration. Sin and death were not intended by God, and are therefore aberrations. Tridentine Low Mass was never the intended form of liturgical celebration, and is therefore an aberration.

Isn't there a little room on this forum to openly vent out some feelings without getting the "let's-be-practical" criticism? I play and sing for Pauline "Low" Masses every weekend, and several times during the week. Are they perfect? No. Do they save souls? Yes. Can they be improved? Yes.

Why not aim for perfection? Should we not yearn and thirst for the courts of the Lord?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Of course.

And I don't know that I would use the word aberration. (I don't know that I wouldn't...)

To me, the existence of Low Mass as a possible way to celebrate the liturgy is a pastoral good and an acknowledgment of reality. But the PREVALENCE of Low Mass seems to me a symptom of inappropriate liturgical theology.

In some ways, this mirrors my feelings about many "contemporary" (so-called) liturgical practices in Post-Concilliar America:
    I (personally) have no "problem" or disagreement with any specific parish (for example) singing (theologically sound, of course) devotional folk songs during Mass. The fact that EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE does so is evidence that something has gone terribly wrong.
    The possibility of using styles of music besides Gregorian chant is not really a problem. The fact that in large swaths of the world you can find dozens of parishes in driving distance but not a single one that sings the native music of the Roman Rite is deeply troubling.

Just my thoughts.
  • rogue63
    +1 Adam Wood

Well met, sir. Thanks for highlighting the problem so clearly.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • G
    I love a silent low Mass in the EF. (What did Matthew say, "there, I said it"?)
    I was shocked to find this was so, but there it is.
    Had traveled a great distance, was expecting music, knelt down with a touch of "oh, well..." curling my lip, and then was knocked sideways by how profound and intense an experience it was.
    Somehow not needing to really focus to do "my part" allowed me to be focussed on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass to a degree I've seldom matched from loft or pew, OF or EF.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
    Thanked by 2R J Stove ZacPB189
  • There is no reason why the Holy Mass cannot be sung every day. The priest can chant his parts, the few faithful who attend can chant simple Ordinaries. The Maronites where I live do it every day, and they even have incense at every Holy Mass, every day. What is the big deal? And, with a little pointing of Propers, and the Lalemant book of Propers by ccwatershed for those Propers which are the same as the previous Sunday, it is easily doable, especially if the church hires a cantor for daily Holy Masses. This is not out of the realm of possibility!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam, amen and amen.
    On another liturgy related blog, once and a while I read people who sound the alarm about people pushing for "only Gregorian chant".
    That is so very far from the reality on the ground that it is pure fearful fantasy.

Rogue, as far as the "lets be practical" criticism, I intended to point out how low masses are needed in many places, and likely will always be, especially during weekdays.

Overall, I guess I'm in the both/and category. I work very hard to train people in Gregorian chant and educate fellow lay faithful about the ideal, the norm, of fully sung liturgy. And I see how low mass, or partly sung/partly low mass is a necessity in most places.

The prevalence of low mass is the problem. When practical explanations are exhausted, we are often left with good old fashioned human laziness, and disordered priorities. Not enough seminaries train students, not enough parishes pay for musicians, not enough lay people step up to join choir, etc.