Adam Wood: Mass of the Blessed Fire: Agnus Dei, Sanctus & Kyrie SATB vocal arr's.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Adam, is this close to what you are looking for in a vocal arr.? This is Tenor-tune format, and could be re-worked into Treble-tune. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this, (too many irons in the fire!) but perhaps this could serve as a springboard for others.

I love this Mass! what is the original for the tune for the Sanctus? - I know I've heard something like it before.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is so exciting- I will have to spend some time singing through this.

The original tune for the Sanctus (which was the first thing I wrote, BTW) was from an apparently rare Shaker chant titled "Holy Angel."

It is performed on Joel Cohen's (AMAZING) CD of Shaker Music with Boston Camerata, track 14.

I say "apparently rare" because it seems (from what I can gather) that the tune/text were found by Cohen (and/or his researchers) in the Shaker archives. I have several books on Shaker music and some hymnals, and I haven't found any other references to it anywhere.

I really wish the Shakers (and everyone else) would get with the program and digitize their archives.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I can't find any online (even pirated) copies of the Holy Angel track from the cohen CD, but here is a tiny snippet preview. (I guess you can buy the mp3 there?)

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,1102788-6071493,00.html
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also- is that in Finale? If so- could you send it my way?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    This is wonderful! Rest of the Mass, please!!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    It is performed on Joel Cohen's (AMAZING) CD of Shaker Music with Boston Camerata, track 14.

Yes, that is where I've heard it! My pastor has that CD and was playing in the office one day; it's a wonderful recording.

Also- is that in Finale? If so- could you send it my way?

No, MuseScore. The program has the option (in the Save As menu) to save as a Finale file, but I don't know how well it works since I don't have finale. I could try, and see if it works.

My motto when trying to write in this style is WWWWD (What Would William Walker Do?).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I could try, and see if it works.

Please.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've had a chance to sing and play through this.

I LIKE IT

I am by no means an expert on Early American harmonic practice (which is why I haven't done this myself), but it sounds authentic enough to me.

Anyone else who might know care to weigh in?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We're auditioning it tonight, Adam.
    Heath, could you reformat in Finale to get two grand staves per page?
    Thanks,
    Charles
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>We're auditioning it tonight, Adam.
    Would you mind recording it?

Also:
    HERE is a Finale file with the Harmonization.
    (Melody is doubled, so it looks like SSATB.)
    I just entered notes quickly in my existing file- I haven't done any layout clean up yet.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'll try, but I can't edit the file to reduce the staves to two per page, thus the pages from 9 to 4.5.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm confused- Salieri's original is only two pages.
  • Heath
    Adam, I think Charles is commenting on the wrong thread . . . he seems to be referring to my new piece on a different thread.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That makes so much sense...
    also, I am disappoint.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Charles was confused, sorry Adam. But we are singing your Agnus as well tonight.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My Agnus or my Sanctus?
  • One or the other, I guess: Angus or Sanctus ... Adam Wood and or Salieri I am not totally thrilled with this setting: seems like the crudities outweigh the beauties too often. I wonder if raising the tenor voice a third or a fourth might give some room for better chords? Also, doubling the tenor an octave higher is challenge enough (gives you instant doubled thirds, etc): is it really a good idea to also double the soprano? I'd definitely rethink that. As an example of why transposing up a good deal, the tenor C on "Lord" in the first bar seems to me to be far better as fifth of tonic, not root of dominant. But in F, that would require a low F for your basses, or a not-yet-appropriate first inversion tonic. The frequent overlaps between tenor and bass also seem to ask for a higher tessitura in the tenor.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Agnus, Adam. We don't rehearse in the church, but in a dry room. But if we can manage to make it cohesive, I'll record either tonight or next Wednesday.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Given that Adam grants a Creative Commons license on his works, mrcopper, I believe you are free to arrange, edit, or recompose the work as you like, provided attribution is preserved; the full conditions are listed here.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Adam, it works quite well and we were about to record it a capella when some vagrant off the street interrupted our rehearsal! Real buzz kill. I figured that the "Hosanna" sections were to be "unleashed" in the forte/tissimo range, with the rest at about mf, given the rise and fall of the lines. Very sweet blend of chant "feel" and the whole Americana vibe.
    Heath, your "Taste and See" will be sung Sunday at our choir Mass. Suh-weet. Will try to record Sunday.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • chonakchonak
    It must be the night for homeless people to drop in on choir rehearsals. We had a poor unwashed street guy for a while sitting in the back of the church, talking out loud while we sang, even in our tony colonial suburb.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It must be the night for homeless people to drop in on choir rehearsals. We had a poor unwashed street guy for a while sitting in the back of the church, talking out loud while we sang, even in our tony colonial suburb.

Even the sparrow finds a home.

========

Mrcopper:

chonak is quite right. The original full setting is here:
    http://musicforsunday.com/files/mass-of-the-blessed-fire.pdf

If you would like to compose your own arrangement, please feel free to do so.
  • Thanks, my plate is overfull already. I just can't resist pushing notes hither and thither when I look at them. So, if my comment didn't help Salieri, so be it. I stand by it, naturally. Just because it is early American in feel-intent, doesn't mean it shouldn't be crafted by standards applicable then (ie, Mozart thru Brahms).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just because it is early American in feel-intent, doesn't mean it shouldn't be crafted by standards applicable then (ie, Mozart thru Brahms).

Actually, Early American (Shape Note, Sacred Harp, Southern Harmony) follows a somewhat different set of "rules" than European Common Practice.

(And, in my opinion, the Europeanization of American hymnody is one of the more regretful things to happen to Protestant music in this country.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    (And, in my opinion, the Europeanization of American hymnody is one of the more regretful things to happen to Protestant music in this country.)

'Ere, 'ere. You can blame Lowell Mason and his "Better Music" movement for that one.

If you have never sung Amazing Grace from The Sacred Harp, do so.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Here is a setting of the Kyrie which I sketched last night. Following the practice of William Billings, when there is a single voice singing the melody, it may be a solo, and whene'er the Full choir sings the tune is in the Tenor. (Shown by the designations "Verse" and "Full".) Contrary octave doublings of Tenor & Treble included per Billings, et al. (These doublings are also sometimes used with Alto and Bass.)

EDIT: Please see updated Kyrie setting, below!
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    THIS IS SO GREAT
  • SalieriSalieri
    Agnus Dei completed, attached below.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I'm enjoying looking at these. In the Kyrie, bar 6, your writing (if sung perfectly) will result in a comma drift flat. Might reconsider. Anywhere ii (root position) is followed by V there is a potential problem.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is wonderful. I'm so thrilled you are doing this!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Performance note: I would sing the first "Lamb of God....on us." in unison.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Mr. Copper, the bar numbering is off from what the bars actually are (since I hid some bar-lines), are you talking about the last "Lord have mercy"?

Believe it or not, I agonized over that measure; I tried changing the voicing of that chord, substituting other chords, etc., and they all left me with the feeling that it sounded more like Mozart/Haydn/Fux than Sacred Harp/Shape Note/Early American, and to be honest, I'm still not 100% happy with it. Does anyone have any suggestions--that won't make it sound like Fux?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does anyone have any suggestions

Break more rules: Open chords (no third) and parallel 5ths abound in the Sacred Harp.

The other thing I have discovered (and I'm not as good at this as you, so- take it for a grain): Focusing on the internal logic of the individual part melodies (so longs as no undue dissonances are created) seems to get me better results.

Of course, William Billings (and Copeland and modern choral interpretations of Early American Music, etc) adhere to the common practice rules a little more than the original aural tradition. The difference seems to be whether one is writing music to SING, or music to LISTEN to.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I was referring to "Christ", I guess actually visible bar 4, and looking at it again, same in bar 2. In harmony terms, it's ii to I 6/4, (implied V): not only change the root on the third quarter, but I'd suggest after that second big beat, fourth quarter, you go ahead and resolve the F down to an E on the 5th quarter in the alto.

One fix, given that you accept parallel octaves, is to give the bass a dotted half Bb, give the alto stepwise resolution on beat 5 to an E, then carry on as you have it. Beat 10, bass, quarter C might be better too.

Your bar 6 is, as you say, a little unsatisfactory too. I'd use a half note Bb then a B natural on beat 3 in bass, and half note F then quarter G in soprano. But then I'm not composing it, am i?

What Adam said is certainly true, and often fruitful when trying to fix a spot:
    focusing on the internal logic of the individual part melodies (so long as no undue dissonances are created) seems to get better results.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I did try an E there in the alto, but then moved it up to the F because the E seemed extremely out of place - I hear this movement in Bb major not F (the key sig. is one flat because that's what Adam had), and the only notated E in the piece is actually an Eb. This is measure is the same as "bar 2", and so has the same issue, of course. Does it make a difference, tuning wise, if it were read as a vi-V 6/4 in Bb rather than a ii-I 6/4 in F? (Honest question.)

Thanks, all for the suggestions. I'll try them out tonight and see if they work in this idiom. (BTW, I'm still fiddling with the organ part to my Missa Jubilate posted some time ago, hopefully that will be done soon.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I did try an E there in the alto, but then moved it up to the F because the E seemed extremely out of place - I hear this movement in Bb major not F (the key sig. is one flat because that's what Adam had)

I actually agonized about the key sigs quite a bit and was never really satisfied. And I cannot really remember what made me go one way or the other.

Add an E-flat if you think it's a good idea.

Modalism, something something.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Yes, I can see Eb easily there, and singing it to myself, it sounds good to me. No difference between ii I 6/4 and vi V 6/4 except that V 6/4 has additional rules in traditional harmony (only arrive at and leave bass by step, as I recall ... haven't rechecked in my massive library of old harmony books ..) In terms of tuning, both are bad, because the ii or the vi root should be tuned low, and the fifth of I or V should be tuned high, and the resulting fourth/fifth between the two bass notes is given two bad options: out of tune or cause a comma drift flat.

btw, I like the solo/chorus alteration in the Kyrie, very effective.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Sang the Sanctus with my choir last night.
    Easy. Sounds great. Seems idiomatic.

Love it.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Here is an updated version of the Kyrie. Changes in Treble, Alto & Bass parts of Choral sections.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I have to admit it's getting better, a little better, all the time.

Consider an invertible counterpoint: soprano, bar 2 and 4: dotted half Bb, half G, quarter Bb, dotted half Bb, dotted half Bb (hitting "-cy" a beat earlier than the other voices. Then, bar 6, the bass can do the same thing two octaves lower. The tenor will thereby, I think, be more clear.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (soprano, bar 2 and 4: dotted half Bb, half G, quarter Bb, dotted half Bb, dotted half Bb (hitting "-cy" a beat earlier than the other voices.

Not idiomatic, I think.

Sacred Harp and Southern Harmony (and other similar traditions) tend to be wholly homophonic in their composition (and heterophonic in their execution), since they are congregational idioms.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Sacred Harp and Southern Harmony (and other similar traditions) tend to be wholly homophonic in their composition (and heterophonic in their execution), since they are congregational idioms.

Yes, there tends to be two styles: "plain-tune" and "fuguing-tune"; sometimes both styles occur within the same piece - fuguing tunes always begin with a homophonic section, and Anthems often alternate the two - but homophonic sections are strict as far as text underlay is concerned.

Most authentic editions (in "plain-tune" sections/pieces) only print the text under the treble part and under the tenor part, some books have the text printed only under the tenor.
  • SalieriSalieri
    After a much needed respite wherein I haven't done much with music that wasn't mandatory, I finished drafting the Gospel & Memorial acclamations, and I will post them tomorrow. I have also begun drafting the Gloria - but don't expect it too soon.

I just want to thank all of you who have been praying for me, know that they are greatly appreciated, and that I am praying for you all here.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Gospel Acclamations below
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is just thrilling! Thank you so much for doing this.