Communion for the Choir
  • For those with choirs in the loft, how do you make it possible for them to receive communion during Mass?
  • We have ministers who come up to us after the side chapels have received.
  • CharlesW
    Ministers who bring communion to the loft.
  • How does that work? Is there a period of silence while the congregation waits for the tabernacle to close? Do you specify how many hosts you'll need before Mass so the tabernacle can close before the minister is back? Trying to fix it at my parish, if you couldn't tell.
  • At my parish, the celebrant will consecrate the amount needed in a seperate ciborium for the choir, and a minister goes up to the loft before the Communion Hymn/Motet begins. The organist usually just plays during this time, and the singing begins after a few minutes of prayer.
  • BenBen
    At the cathedral, they receive first, except on large feasts, in which case they stay in the loft so they can get more music, and one of the extra clergy or seminarians bring communion up to them, and they all receive in between motets.

On a normal Sunday when they receive downstairs, the organist and one choir member stays up and begins the communion music, which is usually some sort of metrical responsorial-style piece. Then when the choir gets back to the loft, the choir takes over the verses SATB, and the organist and cantor who remained receive from a pyx.
  • A choir member serves as minister of Holy Communion, just for the choir.

This common practice raises an issue or two, namely 1) do the singers interrupt their singing to receive, and how does that affect the singing of the communion chant, and 2) is it liturgically proper for the Holy Sacrament to process out of the sanctuary and all the way up to the loft? And done properly?

In one place I know of, the Communion chant is started, the verses are sung by a single cantor, and the choristers join the regular communion procession, one by one, so the resources of the choir are mostly available throughout. In another, a song is begun after a period of silence, sometimes filled with organ music. In another, the musicians (who are already in the north transept) get to be first in line, and the music waits for them. In yet another or two, a ciborium is given to a choir member before even the Agnus Dei, who then takes it to the choir loft and communicates the choir while the priest is completing the rite -- then they're ready to sing as soon as the congregation has finished Lord, I am not worthy. This last one is an abuse, though.

My favorite is to receive after Mass.
  • Eons ago, I used to have the choir receive at the beginning of the distribution of the elements, but we weren't upstairs in the loft.

I've seen the Un-necessary Ministers solution, and I don't think it works. If choir isn't a second-class citizen location, why can't the choir receive from the hand of a priest, while kneeling, and on the tongue?

Remember: There is NOTHING which says that there must be music all the time, except the Snakebite Letters.

Resist the temptation to think of the music as "covering" some action. If the music has the right to be sung, it should be sung properly (accurately) and in a manner fitting for the liturgy.

• francis
    I always thought the best practice was after Mass.
  • CharlesW
    Only a few still kneel for communion in the OF at my parish. They are welcome to if they choose, but few do it. I receive at a very early mass, so I can play while the choir receives after they sing the proper. With steep stairs to the loft, the altar half a block away, and some choir members in their eighties, those ministers are a godsend. Let someone else fall and break bones on those stairs making an unnecessary trip to the altar. My choir members are far too valuable to risk.
  • Liam
    In the OF, best practice is for the choir to receive during the Communion rite; receiving after is licit, but not desirable normatively. The GIRM instructions for the Communion rite provide: "Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease." (This is in No. 86, preceded by "The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful. If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner." So we're not talking about *after* the Communion rite is over.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What happens at my Episcopal parish:
    -the choir goes to Communion first (ahead of the rest of the PIPs), but in the normal "line" while the accompanist inprovises
    -the accompanist goes right at the end of communion while the choir (+congregation, hopefully) is beginning the post-communion meditation, which is (almost) always unaccompanied.

What I would do if I worked in a Catholic parish:
    -the organist goes to Communion first, while the choir (or a sub-set of it) sings the Proper.
    -members of the choir go once either:
    --a congregational hymn has taken hold in the congregation
    --the organist has started on some improvised music to cover congregational-communion time
    --the part of the choir that did not sing the Proper (and so went to communion during that) is back and has started singing a motet (or etc.), while the Proper-singing set goes.

I just realized my preference here is in reverse order to how I wrote it.
    (My preference would be for more choral singing. An organ solo would also be fine. I don't think communion is a good time for congregational singing.)

Also, difficulty of getting in and out of the loft should be considered- but I have to imagine that, in the case of EMHCs, one could be dispatched to loft without too much difficulty.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • canadashcanadash
    Basses chant the proper and I lead them. Trebles and the organist go to communion which is a walk away.
    Trebles sing the communion hymn. Basses and I go to communion.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Charles W,

Since those Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion help increase the priesthood crisis, I don't see how they can be a godsend. Furthermore, why would we deprive our choir of the chance to receive Our Lord from the hand of a priest, whose hands were consecrated to touch holy things, from within the sanctuary, proximate to the altar, kneeling? I can think of "reasons" but none of them involve proceding from Catholic thought.

"unnecessary trip to the altar".... speaks volumes.

Adam,

Being blunt: since Episcopalians receive bread and wine, and not the Body and Blood of Christ, does it matter how they receive, or when?

Liam,

Since some silence is prescribed -- no, I don't have the document at hand -- there would be nothing wrong with the choir singing after the members had received. Silence can and should be allowed, if for no other reason than choir members might otherwise get an inflated opinion of themselves.

• CharlesW
    In my Byzantine Church, laymen may not touch the Holy Mysteries, only the ordained.
    Those are the rules for eastern churches, so I follow them.

The Latin Church, however, makes its own rules, and has a perfect right to do so. Remember, you Latins are the ones claiming Rome sits at the right hand of God and is incapable of any wrongdoing. It is your own Church's regulations allowing those extraordinary ministers. I am assuming you still believe your hierarchy has the authority to make rules for the Latin Church.

I fail to see how those ministers have anything to do with the number of priests. I don't believe for a minute that guys go through seminary and ordination just to distribute communion. In fact, I have heard Latin priests say they have better things to do.
  • We go first at SCJ.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam,
    Being blunt: since Episcopalians receive bread and wine, and not the Body and Blood of Christ, does it matter how they receive, or when?

Since the question seems predicated on practical issues of moving bodies around, I should say my input is at least as valuable as anyone else's (especially anyone else who isn't singing the Communion Proper, as most aren't).
  • Since the question seems predicated on practical issues of moving bodies around, I should say my input is at least as valuable as anyone else's (especially anyone else who isn't singing the Communion Proper, as most aren't).

Precisely.

I appreciate that there are differences in opinion with regard to EMoHCs, but I did not start this topic as a debate or even discussion regarding them. Our Parish happens to use them whether or not I agree with it and it is helpful for me to know how these Ministers facilitate reception of the sacrament at other Parishes.

This has actually given me a leg to stand on when insisting the Proper be sung! I'll be excited to see how this unfolds at my parish.
  • Remember, you Latins are the ones claiming Rome sits at the right hand of God and is incapable of any wrongdoing.

Huh?
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, that didn't exactly seem like a realistic description of anyone's POV here.
  • IN the Ordinary Form a priest usually comes up to the loft but in the Extraordinary Form there is more time for us to go downstairs and receive first while the men sing the Communion chant then they go while we pray upstairs.
  • Adam,

It matters because moving bodies depends on WHY. No one argues that Episcopalians are clueless liturgists -- or, at least, traditionally-minded Anglicans aren't --- but priests are the ordinary ministers of Holy Communion, and regularly scheduled extraordinary ministers don't make any sense. (For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know this: legislation requires that they be rare.) It's like staffing a pediatrician's office with a trauma surgeon, or a gastroenterologist.

• chonakchonak
    At the parish where I work, after the clergy receive Holy Communion:
    - the EMHCs, the reader, and the cantor receive the Sacrament;
    - the organist starts instrumental music, usually softly playing the communion song
    - the cantor announces the communion hymn and walks down the aisle to the loft; in our small church, this does not take long
    - the ministers of Holy Communion proceed to their stations
    - choir members receive first and they proceed to the loft
  • SalieriSalieri
    At my parish:

The choir chants the communio, then a Polish hymn or a motet/anthem, then begin an English hymn, usually after the first verse or two the hymn is pretty well established and the choir go to communion, downstairs, at the end of the 'communion procession'. Since many are elderly, this gives them the option of either coming back upstairs for the closing hymn, or remaining downstairs, and not having to wear out their legs. Occassionally an extraordinary minister brings communion.

The choir used to recieve first, but by the time they got upstairs they were out of breath and I had to wait an extra 5 minutes for them to recuperate.

BTW, since we put the altar-rail in the number of EMHCs in decreasing, though we do still use *one* on Sundays and certain Solemnities when there are many people; however, if there is another priest or a deacon we do not use EMHCs.
  • CharlesW
    All of this will vary from parish to parish. What usually happens here is that someone innocently posts asking how to handle a specific situation that arises during mass, in this case, choir communion. Then someone else attached to a previous liturgy of the Latin Church chastises everyone for not following his own anachronistic attachments and preferences. No one should ever feel obligated to follow anything other than the current regulations of the particular rite to which they are joined. If you are joined to the EF, observe EF rules - and please keep them to yourself. Hardly anyone outside that rite even knows or cares about them. If you are joined to the OF, then those are the rules you should follow. If you work for either, then you best follow your pastor's take on those rules.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    cgz-

1. Re-read what I wrote.

2. At the EpiParish I was describing, Communion is delivered at the Sanctuary by clergy, and (when needed) one additional "EMHC" (they call them Lay Eucharistic Ministers) who has been specially trained and commissioned for the role. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

3. My only mention of an EMHC was that, if they are already in use, one could be dispatched to the loft. In either case, the logistics would be the same- leaving the choir to receive in one corner of the loft and leaving the choir to go downstairs and receive at the altar rail are - from the standpoint of musical practicality and interstitial programming - the same.

4. Whatever, dude.
  • SalieriSalieri
    CW: An honest question : When you mentioned in your above comment the "anachronistic attachments and preferences" are you referring to the EF in general, or to the "Benedictine" manner of looking to the past of the Church to disentangle the present to have a better future, or merely to this particular situation with this particular poster? Some of your phraseology seems to be pointed at the EF in general, and as a Catholic who prefers the Extraordinary Form, working for the restoration of Catholic Tradition within the Ordinary Form based on the Principles of Benedict XVI, I find that way of thinking highly offensive.

CGZ: I find some of your thinking regarding EMHC erroneous and possibly heretical. Once Transubstantiation has occurred (whether in the EF, OF, Anglican Use, or any other rite duly promulgated/approved by the Holy See) the Holy Sacrament subsists no matter where it is reserved, or who administers it. There isn't more or less Jesus if you recieve from a priest or an especially comissioned layman, it isn't the priest we are recieving, it is Christ. Sadly, this way of thinking seems to be all too common in the minds of many traditionalists.

As much as I don't like EMHC, and find their usage in many place superfluous, if they carry out their duties with reverence and comportment, are well trained in various liturgical roles - many of our EMHC are also servers - and understand the proper theology of the Eucharist and the Mass, lead pious lives, and actually know how to administer Holy Communion reverently, and would be valid matter for ordination, than no great harm is done.

[comment edited by poster in re paragraph order.]
  • CharlesW
    Do Episcopalians always receive only bread and wine? There was a local Episcopalian priest some years ago, who travelled to somewhere in the Middle East, and had himself re-ordained by an Orthodox bishop. Still only bread and wine? Rome has generally accepted the validity of Orthodox orders. Things are not as clear as they were in the days of Leo XIII.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Evidence of the validity of Anglican ordination:

Every Episcopal priest I know seems to think that dark navy blue and black can go together- like wearing black clerics with a navy-blue blazer.

I have only seen this behavior elsewhere in validly ordained Roman Catholic priests.

Sure sign of an ontological change.
    QED.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    I was discussing the particular situation here. However, I see the EF as the current incarnation (since 1962) of what was once the dominant rite in the Latin Church. That Church, with the authority to do so, reformed and republished its primary rite and the rules for its celebration. I don't look to the EF for guidance, however, since the Church seems to have moved on from there. The EF is no longer dominant, and I don't expect it will ever again be the principal rite of the Latin Church. I realize some are attached to the EF, and am glad it is there for them. That doesn't mean all others are yearning for it to return.

Benedict XVI - Great man! I generally supported his efforts to bring some sense of decorum and order back to the OF, or at least suppress some of the goofiness that had crept into it in actual practice. To what degree that will progress with the current pope is anyone's guess. I have great hopes we won't next have conga lines going to communion. LOL. I see the current papacy as a throwback to the 70s, not a continuation of Benedict's good work. Time will tell and I hope I am wrong about that.
  • CharlesW
    Adam, the surest sign of validity is the wearing of Birkenstocks and black socks by both. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    Birkenstocks and black socks

...paired with Bermuda shorts.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Birkenstocks and black socks

I have done that, and so did my High School choir director (a Methodist).
    Perhaps that trait is "necessary but not sufficient."
  • CharlesW
    I threatened to wear that when going to the mall with my niece. She was horrified that I might actually do it, although I am a great fan of Birkenstocks.

For priests? I am sure the Birkenstocks and black socks - Bermuda shorts, tan of course - are an outward sign of an inward grace.
  • ryandryand
    The one parish I worked which actually utilized the loft, we'd go after mass.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • BKenney,

Since you intend only a practical question, in my current parish the choir receives first. In every parish where I have assisted at Mass and where there was a choir loft the choir receives first.

In the midst of practical details, the question of "what else is going on" comes up. Recently, for example, I sang a requiem. My initial impulse was to sing the Communion Antiphon and then have the unexpected soloist sing afterwards. An Abbe who was singing with the schola that day noted that if Father heard the Communion antiphon, he would immediately proceed, and that if the soloist was to sing, she should therefore sing before the proper antiphon. It worked perfectly.

Could an antiphonal psalm be sung? Perhaps. Could a choral piece be sung? Yes, but not if the choir is climbing the stairs at the same time. Should there be a rush to start the singing? No -- but that's because silence isn't a bad thing, and even having received Holy Communion the choir should be able to have some quiet thanksgiving time. Remember: silence is only an evil in the Snakebite Letters.

Salieri,

Expressions of puzzlement.

Of all the things I have been challenged with, possible heresy over the question of EMHC is a new one.

Once Transubstantiation has occurred (whether in the EF, OF, Anglican Use, or any other rite duly promulgated/approved by the Holy See) the Holy Sacrament subsists no matter where it is reserved, or who administers it.

---- neither did I claim otherwise. The Sacrament subsists as long as the accidents do. There's no issue here.

There isn't more or less Jesus if you recieve from a priest or an especially comissioned layman, it isn't the priest we are recieving, it is Christ.

Two distinct claims here. First: there isn't more or less Jesus. True.
    Second: It is Christ, not the priest.

You attempt in the second claim to divide two closely linked realities. Indeed we receive the Sacred Host, which is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ. To separate the priest from Christ is to deny an important aspect of the priesthood, or at least to misunderstand it.

When "traditionalists" oppose the spread of EMHCs, it is partly because the EMHC diminishes human awareness of, and appreciation of the uniqueness of the sacrificial priesthood.

Adam,

Whatever these well-meaning people are called within the Anglican communion, they don't administer the Eucharist.

Charles,

Then someone else attached to a previous liturgy of the Latin Church chastises everyone for not following his own anachronistic attachments and preferences. No one should ever feel obligated to follow anything other than the current regulations of the particular rite to which they are joined. If you are joined to the EF, observe EF rules - and please keep them to yourself.

1) No chastisement took place. There is a strongly held conviction on both sides. See # 3 below.
    2) They're not "anachronistic", but timeless. Your dislike of them doesn't make them bad, anymore than the liking of these by someone makes them good.
    3) I'm not sure what you mean, aside from attempting to make the opinion be muzzled, by "please keep them to yourself". Chonak, please advise?

The use of EMHC's became relevant to this conversation because we were attempting to decide when and how the choir should/could receive. I maintain that the regular, scheduled use of EMHC is illicit, and therefore not a good thing for choirmasters (or mistresses) to encourage.
  • We sing the communion antiphon, then go downstairs; an altar server then leads the choir up the centre aisle (ahead of the congregation) to receive Holy Communion at the front. We then go back to the loft via the side aisles and get on with the rest of the singing. It is seemly and doesn;t take too long. We dress in dark clothes to create a bit of uniformity.
  • chonakchonak
    cgz, you're right to say that bkenney was only asking a practical question, so I think the talk about Episcopalian ordinations, sacramental validity, etc., was a distraction from his topic. He's just looking for examples of what procedures various parishes follow.
    Thanked by 2bkenney27 Spriggo
  • SalieriSalieri
    CGZ: If I am projecting on to you certain misunderstandings of some of our brethren, I sincerely apologize. I myself much prefer the EF to the OF; and I prefer the EF because of what it itself is, not because of the opinions of any people who attend/celebrate it.

The unfortunate thing is that among many of the more "traditional" people I know, there is a tendency to believe that the priest has some kind of almost "magical powers" when it comes to religion, which has a certain tinge of Gnosticism about it, and this is reflected quite often in communion, when people are frantically changing which 'line' they are in so that they are more likely to get a priest - because the feel that there is somehow more Jesus when they recieve from a priest. The man of the priest is nothing; he is merely the instrument through which Christ himself, by virtue of the sacrament of orders, acts.

[Of course, this whole conversation will probably be deleted because it is off the topic of this thread.]
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Salieri,

I can't see why Chonak would delete the eddy, since it resulted in some clarification of opinion. Then again, I'm not Chonak, so I could be wrong.

Chonak,

Thank you for your speedily recorded observations. I do try to stay on topic, whether I succeed or not. To you, then, I pointedly ask: is the practice of the Episcopal Church relevant to the practice of the Catholic Church, in any matter other than singing?
  • Liam
    Is the concern over regular scheduling of EMHC's sufficient to advise that choirs should not sing in the loft if that would be the occasion for such regular scheduling?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    is the practice of the Episcopal Church relevant to the practice of the Catholic Church, in any matter other than singing?

And why THAT, even? Clearly Episcopalians are not singing a real liturgy. And many of their choir directors have been trained in secular conducting techniques instead of the one, true and holy chironomy of the chant. And they let women sing in their sanctuary choirs. And they let lowly lay WOMEN hand-embroider the cushions on the kneelers of the altar rail! Surely, then, this information is irrelevant.

Wait- which information?
  • CharlesW
    If you are attending an EF mass, the whole question of extraordinary ministers will never come up. They don't exist under those regulations.

The original poster simply asked how to make it possible for those in the loft to receive communion. Then there was this:

've seen the Un-necessary Ministers solution, and I don't think it works. If choir isn't a second-class citizen location, why can't the choir receive from the hand of a priest, while kneeling, and on the tongue?

The Church hasn't determined them unnecessary and they are essential in my place with eighty-year-olds in the choir. The pastor, btw, has great mobility problems as well, and he is only a couple of years away from being eighty.

Why would the choir insist on receiving from the hand of a priest while kneeling and on the tongue, in preference to any other way? That is not even accepted form any more, but an intrusion from one rite into another. None of this based on officially promulgated rules, but on personal preference for an older form that is still perfectly acceptable in proper context, the EF. It doesn't help the original poster, who may not be asking about EF practices, to begin with. He didn't say.

Again, my choir sings the Communion Proper - yes, we actually do this every Sunday! Then I play softly while the choir receives from a minister. After a brief silence, the communion hymn is sung. This may, or may not work for the original poster, but is one way of doing it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Definition of the word "Extraordinary" in various contexts, according to various caricatures of people...

"Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite"
    Trad: "Extrarodinary" means "awesome," as in- isn't that Rite simply extraordinary?!
    Prog: "Extraordinary" means "not normal, " as in- there's a normal way of doing things, and this other thing should never ever be done.
    Church: "Extraordinary" means "not normal, " as in- there's a normal way of doing things, and this other thing can be done when needed or deemed appropriate by sane people.

"Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion"
    Trad: "Extraordinary" means "not normal, " as in- there's a normal way of doing things, and this other thing should never ever be done.
    Prog: "Extraordinary" means "awesome," as in- isn't it just extraordinary that all these lay people get to participate in the Mass like that?
    Church: "Extraordinary" means "not normal, " as in- there's a normal way of doing things, and this other thing can be done when needed or deemed appropriate by sane people.
  • Adam,

In deference to Chonak, I'm not going to respond on this forum. Let's take that to private mail.

Charles,

I'm not sure where to begin. I hope Chonak will forebear because it's relevant to the question of how a choir receives Holy Communion.

The Church hasn't determined them unnecessary

This statement is false. I'll get you the official pronouncement.

they are essential in my place with eighty-year-olds in the choir. The pastor, btw, has great mobility problems as well, and he is only a couple of years away from being eighty.

When Cardinal Arinze spoke on the topic to a group of Catholics in Louisville Kentucky, he described a situation in which the priest was past 80, had gout, and had a congregation of several hundred as being sufficiently extraordinary to perhaps warrant extraordinary ministers.

Why would the choir insist on receiving from the hand of a priest while kneeling and on the tongue, in preference to any other way? That is not even accepted form any more, but an intrusion from one rite into another.

1) That you can ask such a question bespeaks the utter lack of catechesis in many places.
    2) Your assertion that it's not accepted any more is simply false. First Communicants are not to be denied the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue, kneeling, nor told that such a practice is wrong. I'll get you the documentation.
    3) Receiving on the tongue, contrary to your assertion, isn't an intrusion from another rite. Aside from the fact that Pope Benedict established that the two forms are one rite, Communion in the hand can't be mandated in the Ordo of Paul VI. I'll get you the citation.

I'm sorry to go on like this, but truly it distresses me that choirmasters are asking only the "practical" details, ignoring theological realities.
  • CharlesW
    Whatever! Original Poster, do what works best for you.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Spriggo
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Whatever!

truly
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Liam Spriggo
  • It doesn't help the original poster, who may not be asking about EF practices, to begin with. He didn't say.

Excellent point. I was talking about the Norvus Ordo.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I'm sorry to go on like this, but truly it distresses me that choirmasters are asking only the "practical" details, ignoring theological realities.

I wasn't going to antagonize this conversation, but I take offense at being told that I, or anyone else on this forum, am ignoring theological realities.
    I think we can all agree that we are all working for the betterment of Liturgy and so I highly doubt anyone would willingly ignore theological realities. (It is important to note, though, that the issue with EMHCs is not the "quantity of Jesus" received, but the appropriate handling of the Blessed Sacrament.)

However, it is important to understand that many Parishes are in very different stages of the liturgical renewal. My Parish currently over-schedules and, in my opinion, abuses EMHCs. But that is not my battle to fight right now, or really, ever, since I am not the Director of Liturgy (or the Pastor). If it is an option right now (that I do not foresee changing in the near future) it is simply a possible option at my Parish and I have appreciated those that have brought it up. Is it the best option? Perhaps not. Is it better than my choir running down the steps to try to flag down anyone that can give them communion, resulting in some leaving without reception? Definitely.

Believe me, I respect the opinions brought forth, but this isn't all going to change overnight and I think patience is key. Is it distressing? Certainly. But we also can't argue the rubrics and governing documents of the NO, whether or not we agree with them.

That said, thank you all for your input. It will be of great help when trying to arrange this in my Parish.