Concerts in the Church
  • It is my understanding that it is not permissible to have the Blessed Sacrament inside the church when a concert is taking place there, even if it is a concert of sacred music. Is that true? Can someone point me to a document or rubric that addresses this?
  • Concerts in the church are governed by Canon Law. A quick Google search should point you in the right direction.
  • chonakchonak
    It's not in the Code of Canon Law; there's a separate document of directives on the subject, from 1987.
  • Liam
    Technically, it's the ordinary who has the latitude to determine whether and how to apply a number of the rules. Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament in a tabernacle in the sacristy or, if available, lower church is not uncommon where there is no separate reservation chapel.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    KLS, was that codicil in JPII's Inestimablile Donum encyclical?
    We reserve it.
  • Ally
    We have a tabernacle in the sacristy to reserve the Blessed Sacrament for our festival of Lessons and Carols and other events. I would double-check with your diocese to see what applies in your case.
  • Oh! Thanks, chonak! That's the document to which I was referring, but thought it was in the Code for some reason.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Ally, out of curiosity, is your Lessons and Carols really *that* outlandish that you would need to reserve the Holy Sacrament outside the church? It is a para-liturgical service, right?
  • Ally
    Certainly not!! Ha ha ha. You are right.

However, at this parish, the choir has "traditionally" sat in the sanctuary for this (long story and WAY too many politics, organ console is in front, trust me, no hope on changing that). I saw the first year that there was a lot of casual walking around when we were setting up, and 30 people seated in chairs right in front of the altar and tabernacle was a little unsettling. I asked my set-up crew (dedicated choir members) how they would feel if we reserved the Blessed Sacrament to the sacristy...they were all for it! A lot of people really appreciated it so that they didn't feel awkward and irreverent sitting with their backs to it. We do also host an ecumenical concert, so I wanted to keep the same policy across the board. Does that make sense?
    Thanked by 2Salieri BruceL
  • We treat our lessons and carols as a proper liturgy, based on the office of readings for midnight mass (I believe), and not a concert.
    Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Ours around here is more of a concert with a very minimal liturgical aspect, so the blessed sacrament is removed. That's how we do it...
    Thanked by 3Salieri CHGiffen Ally
  • Thank you all for your responses. There will be a concert in a neighboring church but in the same parish where I am located. Our pastor had never had a concert in any of the churches where he had served before, so I asked him if he was going to remove the Blessed Sacrament. He asked me to provide a reference. I sent him the links provided above. He thanked me but questioned whether that document would still be in force, given its date. He contacted the diocese, and as a result of their response, he has decided to retain the Blessed Sacrament in the church, with a request that the presenter of the concert be an advocate for reverence to the Blessed Sacrament, and that if that didn't work he would remove it in the future.

I can't say I am pleased with how this turned out. No one seems to have considered that a good portion of the audience will be non-Catholic (as I pointed out) and will not even think of genuflecting or bowing before the Blessed Sacrament. To them it will be a concert of classical music. I believe what will happen is the people will be quiet during the performance, and there will be some talking before. In other words, it will be like at Mass, and will be considered OK.

At least I tried.
  • I can't say I am pleased with how this turned out. No one seems to have considered that a good portion of the audience will be non-Catholic (as I pointed out) and will not even think of genuflecting or bowing before the Blessed Sacrament. To them it will be a concert of classical music. I believe what will happen is the people will be quiet during the performance, and there will be some talking before. In other words, it will be like at Mass, and will be considered OK.

And that my friends, is why we are in the trouble we are in today. The lack of reverance and respect to the most Blessed Sacrament, and to further that, the desire not to follow established norms and rules. It can be seen as we enter the church, just how many no longer sign themselves, geneflect or pray upon entering the Lord's house.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Just this week our city's community college (excellent choral/vocal program, national ACDA performances, etc.) inquired whether we would host them and one of our high schools' ensembles for a concert prior to Lent. The pastor gave permission provided they sing only sacred classical pieces. Both schools assented. We've established with the college a set of protocols which they've known for years now.
    We also present two sacred concerts for the two major seasons each year.
    We always, always...reserve the Blessed Sacrament.
    I know these conditions are prescribed in canonical documents and encyclicals. But I believe the pastor described above simply falls back on an arbitrary casual rationale "Jesus won't mind pretty music in the church." He is, of course, correct. However, the prescriptives regarding concertizing in churches, particularly if they're staged within the sanctuary, aren't for Him, they're for us: to, as mentioned above, respect the literal presence of the Living God within the walls; to witness to that reverence with the disciplines of postures acknowledging that presence and of the importance of the altar through bows and genuflections. Our catholic observances are powerful statements to other denominational Christians, Jews, unchurched and other folks who will comprise an audience. We live in an era when people of all ages, even those who attend modern (mega)churches, who think nothing of keeping men's hats on, dressing as if at a theme park, carrying their cappucinos and bagels into the naves during the "services" or talking incessantly when there's a "break in the action."
    Our canons are evidence of the wisdom of tradition and the magisterium, as they all weren't just cognizant of current societal norms of their own era, but had foresight of the same into the future. The "It's no big deal" mentality misses the point entirely.
  • Actually, the pastor had decided to reserve the Blessed Sacrament - until he received an answer to his inquiry from the Diocese. He really does want to do the right thing, but when you ask your boss for advice and then don't follow it...
  • I believe that anytime people stand in front of the people with their backs to the Blessed Sacraments is bad, wrong, verboten...especially when it is a priest saying Mass.

The pulpit is always off-center just for that reason, no?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    We always, always ... reserve the Blessed Sacrament

I don't understand what you mean. Do you reserve it in the main church, or in a separate chapel during a concert? Or does the term "reserve" mean "to move"?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The ciborium and hosts are proceeded to the tabernacle in the Adoration Chapel, which is in a room opposite the sacristy on the Epistle side, rear of the Church.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • What are the varieties of wisdoms that might be shared here which would be relevant while remaining possibly indecisive with regard to an organ recital that is to be given at Houston's St Basil's Chapel at UST? The recital is on the Solemnity of Christ the King. The nearly all cantus firmus programming outlines the life and works of our Lord, each piece will be preceded by the sung chant or chorale on which it is based. Obviously the purpose of this recital is to honour Christ the King... all the music is about him... for all practical purposes this recital is some sort of para-liturgy it seems to me. Why would Jesus present in the sacrament need to be removed for such a signal and sacred musical offering whose dual purpose is the aedification of the attendant people and the glorification of him whose Holy Place it is? Shouldn't he want to be there and hear it rather that be carried off to a less honourable place? Wouldn't he want to be there with us while we glorify him with organ literature and voice rather than be put off somewhere all by himself?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Liam
    I think Our Lord will hear and be present regardless, and is never off somewhere all by himself....

An organ recital is not a paraliturgy. If you want to make it one, you'd have to convert it into something clearly intended for contemplative prayer.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • I think this organ recital would be considered a "Kirchenmusikalische Andacht" (roughly translated "Devotion with Sacred Music") where I live; at least if there would be some scripture interspersed and a concluding prayer.
  • Liam
    Then it wouldn't a recital. A recital focuses on a performance by a performer. In a prayer service, the performer's role is merely supporting, and it needs to look and feel that way.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Insofar as organ music hath about it the nature of a sacramental, particularly if it is all cantus firmus based and intentionally glorifying the King of kings with the King of instruments, I fail to comprehend why at this or any other Geistlichen konzert the Blessed Sacrament should be removed. (And yes, we all do know that Jesus is always present everywhere.) It seems to me that removing the Objective Presence of Jesus sends the message that there is something profane about sacred concerts that would defile his presence. (If such were the case, they shouldn't be performed there, in the courts of the Lord, in the first place.)
  • I have always felt that the best way to experience sacred music or great organ music is sitting in a beautiful, resonant church, facing toward an occupied tabernacle.

My judgment call is usually based on the spatial relationship of performers to space. When an organist plays in the loft and there is no TV screen arrangement up front, yes it is a performance, but there is no way to see the performer. The listener is left to sit in the space and let their eyes take in the (hopefully) beautiful surroundings. Same thing when a choir sings a program in the loft.

Now, when the performers need to be in the front of the church, I prefer to reserve the Blessed Sacrament to a side altar (not out of the church). That way the business and performance up front avoids any risk of conflict with suitable reverence.

I believe that sacred music is one of the greatest motivators of prayer and especially awe in the presence of God, so whenever possible I prefer for people to experience it in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. If a piece is suitable for Mass, of course it is suitable for a sacred concert in front of the Blessed Sacrament. My two cents...
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, this is clearly a program of sacred music to honor God. I see no reason at all why the Sacrament should be moved.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Our "First Friday Concerts" are technically prelude music for the Exposition & Benediction. For the annual period instrument orchestra Messiah sing-along we do remove the altar.
  • francis
    Yes. Totally agree with JMO and kirchenmusik.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Does anyone know what they did in SLC during Charles Cole's recital?
  • chonakchonak
    The Cathedral has an oratory for the Blessed Sacrament in the church's apse, separated from the main body of the church by a screen. That probably is enough to make any reposition during concerts unnecessary.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • ghmus7
    Ok, I have a similar situation: We have a tabernacle behind the altar in the traditional place.
    For our lessons and carols event, we are being asked to place the choir sitting between the tabernacle and the altar, facing out. Comments? should the sacrament be reposed elsewhere? The service is a pretty traditional L&C with readings and music.
  • francis
    ghmus

How about putting the choir in the loft?
  • ghmus7
    We do not have a loft. We are a seminary, and the leadership would like to have the choir out front for the L&C so that the people can see them. We normally sing off to the side.
  • chonakchonak
    It might be OK to seat them in two groups at the sides of the sanctuary.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ghmus7
    Interesting idea, thanks.