New voting feature
  • BenBen
    Looks like we have more features to play with.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes, but just how many of these features do we really want to play with? I assume the "Votes" button is really a "Like/Dislike" feature? If so, is it (logically) intended to be a different sort of thing than that "Thanks" link? In time, I think we'll get used to this, though.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The voting allows the system to mimic a Stack Exchange Q&A, where upvoted answers rise to the top.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Okay, I do have a complaint. It seems that the "Up/Down" buttons for individual comments in a thread have the (what I assume to be unintended) consequence of moving comments up or down the thread, thus destroying the (chronological) order in when they are posted. This will make it VERY DIFFICULT, if not next to impossible, to track the comments in a thread with more than a few posts.

My "Vote" for this feature is a decided "DOWN" vote.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Okay, I just noted that it's possible to sort by Date Added or by Votes. In my very humble but delicately nuanced opinion, the DEFAULT should be so sort by Date Added. For a thread with a large number of comments, having to navigate to the top to select Date Added is a terrible nuisance.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • chonakchonak
    If the votes have any effect of moving coments around, I don't think we'll want that.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I second- CHG- if date added could be the default, it's kinda cool.
    Alternatively, if a Stack Exchange experience is desired (where ANSWERS are valued over CONVERSATION) I would be happy to donate the domain SacredMusicFAQ.com (or org, I don't remember) to "the cause" for a separate site.
    (Which is what I wanted to do with it in the first place, but didn't have the time at the time.)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think these blue boxes are ugly and disturbing to look at.
  • TCJ
    I was just about to say what matthewj did. The boxes really clash with the color scheme.
  • chonakchonak
    OK, I've put in a little code mod to make the default sort "Date added"; thanks to CHG for pointing that out.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yep, those blue boxes are kind of loud ... sort of like the screeching/screaming singers/cantors?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    To chonak ... but I hope others read this, too.

Richard, although I'm probably one of the squeakier wheels with forum layout and appearance issues, I want to thank you for your hopefully patient but surely at time frustrating attention to the issues of how the forum appears, what features it has, and the liberal help you have generously provided to newbies and regulars alike. As the manager of CPDL's ChoralWiki site for five years now, I appreciate your effort and commitment.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Kathy
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Just diaphramatic breaths, and then vocalise with arsis/thesis on your patented recto tono tones, my man!
  • chonakchonak
    Hey, I kinda like this feature. OK, here are the boxes in green.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    ... I still see blue boxes.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Ugh... now I see horrible minty boxes.

This whole feature is terrible.

Someone wake me when the nightmare is over.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • chonakchonak
    I can round the corners more to make them cuter.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Kathy
  • SalieriSalieri
    Perhaps if the boxes were a pale straw colour they wouldn't contrast so much.

Though I do fear that too many shades of Green will make the forum look like the kitchen at my elementary school.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Can the corners get more rounded as the vote count increases?

And also, can it be that each vote counter box is a different color, based on the reputation of the commenter?

Also, can you add a dropdown so I can toggle between Arabic and Roman numerals?

Also, can the up and down arrows be more triangular?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, can the chant manuscript in the background image be in Mode VI?

And could I have a selector so that I could toggle it to standard 5-line notation?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • CharlesW
    Idle hands are the devil's workshop. ;-)
    Thanked by 3Ben CHGiffen Gavin
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Thanks for the rounded corners. I think, like others, that the new boxes should get smaller and smaller the more people have clicked on them, until finally they go away.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    Or the other way around: y'know, making them bigger so that more users will click, the way lottery fever catches on.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Matthew, just use your pad instead of PC, the boxes will then disappear.
    But dead people will appear in their place. So then you'll prolly say "I see dead people."
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I just want this nightmare to stop.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    One of the things that is COMPLETELY RUINED for me is that I have to look beyond all those egregious and variously-colored boxes in order to see whether there are "new" comments. Can this information be moved to the left?

Also, whatever happened to fuschia? (Less urgent)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I feel that my quality of life has lowered tremendously by these changes to the forum.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    What's the difference between thanking and an up arrow?
    Thanked by 3Chrism Ben Gavin
  • Kathy
    Also, please give Matthew a drink and a cigar so he feels better.
  • chonakchonak
    The voting system gives people one more way of giving favorable and critical feedback, just as you're doing now.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Kathy Ben
  • Chrism
    Kathy, I just down-voted and thanked your comment.
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • Kathy
    Hahahaha
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • TCJ
    Maybe those voting boxes could somehow be linked to those online ads -- you know, the kind that generate income for the site when users click on them? That way people would be encouraged to vote for posts and help CMAA at the same time.

Also, if you like this idea, please vote for this post. Thank you!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Okay- so: Other than my (very serious) comments above, I try not to voice too many opinions about all this. (@chonak, as you know- users annoy me too).

But, one thing you had for a minute, which then went away, I thought was good:
    There was, in the last few days, a badge (or whatever) that showed how many views each thread had gotten.

One of them ("Stage of Life") had over 1,200. Whoa.

It gave me pause to think about what I was saying- in that thread and generally.
    I already knew the (rough) statistics about how many people visit this site, so it's not like it was exactly a surprise. But, since about 2 dozen people make 99% of the posts here (and ten of us, probably 98%) it's easy to forget just how public (and well trafficked) this site is.

Perhaps (perhaps) restoring that feature might give us all a little perspective.

(As always, especially on dev matters: just my opinion.)
    Thanked by 3chonak Jani CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Anybody who is still having a HORRIBLE time because the voting feature is so UGLY: stop whining and refresh your browser. All that stuff was fixed yesterday. And clear your browser cache if that's not enough.
  • GavinGavin
    I just think the voting feature is dumb. On youtube, the highest-voted comment is regularly the one with the most racial slurs. On chant cafe, Todd could comment "We must follow the lead of our most holy father emeritus, Benedict XVI, may God grant him long life, and restore the chanted propers and the Mass of All Time," and he'd still get voted down to -12.

It's a popularity contest.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, there are principles to uphold! :-)

Dear users, please do vote on the merits.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's a popularity contest.

Or a hackathon.

• GavinGavin
    Is that how you thanked yourself 7 times in that other thread?
  • chonakchonak
    Do you really want to spend your time doing that?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is that how you thanked yourself 7 times in that other thread?

possibly...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Do you really want to spend your time doing that?

Not normally. But, you know- just once....
  • Jani
    Isn't the "thank" option kind of a voting feature in and of itself? So just to push some buttons, I both "thank"ed Adam's comment about the total views,which I heartily agree with, and then hit the up arrow to the left. Perhaps that's redundant.

The down-votes seem to naturally come in the form of written disagreement - making a down-vote, again, redundant. You all know that a disagreement ain't gonna end with a little punch of a button.
  • chonakchonak
    If you don't want to use it, ignore it. If you want a quick way to say "this posting is inappropriate/contrary to etiquette, etc,", now you have it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I still find these rounded boxes very distracting... my eyes are always drawn to them.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I still find the rounded edgs of the tilt-tabs for the couplers above the manuals very distracting... my eyes are always drawn to them.

Oops, wrong thread. I thought this was about tracker organs versus electric organs. I should learn to stop complaining. Grins.
    Thanked by 3Kathy Gavin mrcopper
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Was it voting in 19th Century Russia?
    It was not.

(C'mon people, say it with me....)
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Kathy
    Is OUTRAGE
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Salieri
  • CharlesW
    New calendarist Sergianists. Is outrage!
  • BenBen
    @Chonak Any chance you could add "margin-left: 60px; width: 620px;" (or something of similar effect) to "#content"? When the browser gets narrower, the buttons disappear off the left side. For example, on a tablet, it displays the normal site, but it gets cut off.