As a verb it's 'cant' not 'cantor'.
  • See this error all over the place, mostly posts from the United States and especially on social media sites, even from Roman Catholic church music directors. In the past it's 'canted' not 'cantored'. In the future it's 'will cant', not 'will cantor'.
    Thanked by 1paddy
  • BenBen
    I cant do it. Sorry.
  • GavinGavin
    Is that a big problem in the Untied States?
    Thanked by 2Jani Spriggo
  • GavinGavin
    What if you're not good at singing? Then I guess you can't cant.

I understand some German philosophers are also poor liturgical singers. For example, Kant can't cant.
  • You, Kant, be serious!
    And whatcha gonna do about Eddie Cantor?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Liam
    Kant can't cant cant.
  • For Adam:

Urban Dictionary

1. Cantored

Shaving your head to the point where you are as bald as Jim Cantore from The Weather Channel.
    I took a razor and shaved all my hair off like a badass. Dude, I'm totally Cantored.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • The horse got away and canted home, aghast at the canting he heard from the cantoress who we hope will go forth and cant no more?

How do you all deal with ain't over there? Or ain't there no way to do this? Or do you use the h?

Common usage in the US ain't going to change cantor and cantored, they are here to stay.

• Gavin, I'm just wondering if you put "Untied" intentionally or not...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What will a cantor do if a cantor can't cant chant.
    Along came a sage with the Kant-esque name Immanuel,
    when given neumic runes, to his knees he fell,
    saying, I'm a Kant, not a cantor, who can't cant chant.
    Signed: I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't. I. Kant.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Makes sense. That's be like using the germanic equivalent and saying: "I'm going to singer today." or "Jessye Norman singered real loud."
    Thanked by 1Robinwilliams
  • GavinGavin
    Bobby, the original post had "United" spelled incorrectly. I always find it funny when someone correcting another's spelling or grammar makes their own mistakes.
  • Ah, just wondering, because it made sense (to me) both ways!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Robin is right!
    Canting is what a cantor or a cantrix does.
    But then, this would not be the first time a noun had been verbified.

Why not just Englishify it all and say that chanting is done by a chanter.
    After all, a cantor (or a cantrix) is a chanter who chants chant.
  • jpal
    Seriously, which definition is it? These are the verb ones I found:

transitive verb
    1: to give a cant or oblique edge to : bevel
    2: to set at an angle : tilt
    3 chiefly British : to throw with a lurch
    intransitive verb
    1: to pitch to one side : lean
    2: slope

1: to talk or beg in a whining or singsong manner
    2: to speak in cant or jargon
    3: to talk hypocritically

It seems the best candidate is "to talk or beg in a whining or singsong manner," which may be true at many parishes -- but fortunately not mine.
  • Kathy
    Wasn't there an ABBA song, Take a Chants on Me? Now did they cant it or chant it? And what could it mean?
  • jpal
    Yes, Kathy. More recently there's Nicki Minaj's "Last Chants," which describes her struggle to choose music for the recessional (since there's no proper for that). And don't forget John Lennon's "Give Pisa Chants," which is about reviving the ancient chant of the cathedral of Pisa (it was suppressed on account of superstition when it was discovered that the cantors canted in a canted tower).
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    Right. And don't forget, "It's my last dance, last Chants for love..." which is about the end of disco.
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Chantses are..."
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • cmb
    Many times, they cant. Often times, they shouldn't.
  • ronkrisman
    Cantors chant. Choirs chant. PIPs chant. I've never known those who cant.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Cantors chant. Choirs chant. PIPs chant. None cant.

It's about time.
  • I get so tired of the cant from some quarters that ordinary people can't chant.
  • Mark HuseyMark Husey
    Untied States- that's funny (and I believe intentionally so).
    Dyslexics: UNTIE!
    Dyslexics have more fnu.
  • CharlesW
    Bad spellers of the world, untie! Dyslexics worship another Dog.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Is it really Cantrix and not Cantress? In any case, they aren't cantors.
  • JQ -
    It's
    cantor - cantrix
    or
    chanter - chantress
    or
    just chanter
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    So, a chanteuse need not apply?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • GavinGavin
    What, are we going to change the forum color to chartreuse?
  • Chanteuse? Well, yes, if we were French (that is) it would be chanteur - chanteuse.
    Now, how about German? Is there a feminine form of kantor?

And, Fr Krisman:
    It's not at all true that 'none cant'!
    I'm sure that you are familiar with this breed:
    they are otherwise known as complainers...
    about most anything that is handy to complain about.
    Their cant knows no end.
  • ronkrisman
    MJO, touché. You're correct, the verb "cant" exists, but there is doubt in my mind that it means "to sing." Above, jpal provided a definition of the verb (I think it may have been from the Merriam Webster dictionary), yet none of the meanings had to do with a cantor's singing/chanting. Perhaps the OED gives more definitions, I don't know.

For the time being, I would disagree with Robinwilliams, who began this discussion, and say that it is probably incorrect usage to say that a cantor "cants," unless it's to complain about the pastor or about the music being sung.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Protasius
    @MJO: A female cantor would be called "Kantorin" in German.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Yeah, there's really no verb "to cant" in the sense in which the OP wishes there were. Admittedly, buried as the last definition in the third entry for the verb "cant" in the OED is "II.10 intr. To chant, sing. Sc. or dial. ? Obs." That is to say, to the extent this is a verb, it is an obsolete Scots or maybe dialectical one, little-used even in the 18th century. The ordinary English noun "cantor" comes directly from the Latin; it was not constructed from a previous verb "to cant." What a cantor does is sing, and if we want to invent a new verb to express the idea "to be a cantor, to exercise the role of cantor" I think that "to cantor" is as good as any.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood ronkrisman
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That.
  • But 'to cantor' hath the ring of a made-up colloquialism, not a real word.

I think that 'to sing' or 'to chant' is better.
    Especially in speech.
    Then we would be certain that the cantor wasn't riding a horse.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    When I chant, often I can 'til late, so here we go:

cantillate (v. i.) : To chant; to recite with musical tones.
  • Oh I forgot, verbing weirds language. We certainly wouldn't want to "make up" a word by just using the noun as a verb, it's so gauche (too bad like half of English verbs were invented this way ...)

Anyway, the problem with "to sing" or "to chant" is neither is exclusive to the cantor. "I'm singing at church today" = vague; "I'm cantoring at church today" = precise.
    Thanked by 1mlabelle
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Not vague but very precise: "I'm cantillating at mass today."
  • Kathy
    "I'm cantillating at mass today."

This sounds, I don't know, kinda sexy.
  • ronkrisman
    I'm cantillating at mass today.

If the dialogues from the RM are sung by the priest and people, they're all cantillating.
  • Kathy
    By the way, how long has cantoring at Mass, in the sense of leading congregational song, been a thing?
  • gregpgregp
    By the way, how long has cantoring at Mass, in the sense of leading congregational song, been a thing?

Based on personal anecdata, not before the 're-introduction' of the responsorial psalm. But that's just my recollection.
  • If a cantor can't cant, can a singer sing?
    Thanked by 1cmb
  • Cantors are not a Vatican II fabrication. They existed in quite early times, were highly regarded, skilled chanters, and were sometimes ordained. They sang from cantatoria, books which contained the texts which were to be chanted (more probably, cantillated), but, of course, had no musical notation. They were very highly trained masters of the vocal art of delivering sacred texts. These were, of course, a very different breed from those who today imagine themselves to be cantors because they sing a few lines out of Respond and Acclaim or some such over a microphone. Nor did they gyrate and fling their arms around in a great narcissistic display. As for the responsorial psalm: it is nothing new: the Gradual IS what is left of a responsorial psalm. (Somewhere in Edward Foley's book about the music of the pre-Constantinian Church we read that there was a canon passed forbidding cantors to use curling irons in their hair. Vanity, vanity.... it, too, is ancient.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • jpal
    Yes, since the word "singer" means "one who sings," whereas the word cantor does not mean "one who cants."
  • jpal
    (sorry that was for MT)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    According to THE PAGE BOOK, the original job of the Cantor was operating the fish kite puppets.

#thepagebook
  • SalieriSalieri
    Do cantors canter canting chant?
  • The cantor who canters while canting will a problem with breath support have, resulting in yet more cant from those who can't abide chant.
    Thanked by 2Gavin amindthatsuits
  • As an English teacher, I have to just say that words develop the way they develop and the change cannot be stopped, particularly if it is useful. "Sorbet" and "sherbet" both derived from the Arabic word (as I recall, or Turkish) for "fruit juice," and until the craze for "sorbet" in the 1980s, you could use them interchangeably. Even James Beard did so in his cookbooks. But then it turned out that people preferred it without any dairy in it, so "sorbet" became different than "sherbert," and no one, not even my grandmother, could stop "sherbet" from becoming "shebert."

My own favorite is "forte." People like to say that it should be pronounced "fort," because it is French and "that is how they pronounce it." There are two problems with that. First, the French do not pronounce it "fort." They pronounce it "forte," just Frenchly (with a very quiet final "e.") Are we supposed to use the French "r?" Heavens.

And more importantly, if we use it in English, it is not longer a French word and we may pronounce it as we want to. Every dictionary from the OED down says "fortay," for the simple reason that it is a useful distinction. Sometime in the 18th Century, it picked up the pronunciation of the Italian musical direction, because that makes it clear you are talking about someone's "strong point."

So "kyrie." In chanting Latin, it's "kee-ree-eh." In English conversation (as you only chant it in Latin), it's "kih--ree-ay." "Kyrie" has become an English word.

Which will do nothing to stop the discussion.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • Which discussion is always fun.