FLASH MOB (forum) SURVEY : Forum Color Scheme
  • francis
    On behalf of CMAA, (which I really do not have the authority to do) I am taking a flash survey on the new forum color scheme. Its been a few weeks and wondering what people think. Thumbs up or Thumbs Down.

I am putting two "thumbs" below to which you can add your thanks.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Thumbs DOWN!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thumbs UP for "I used the selector at the bottom to change it to something I actually liked."
  • GavinGavin
    Thank this one if you like pressing "Thank."
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    This entire thread is just a scheme to get more "Thanks." Tsk tsk. :P
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've given up worrying about such things years ago. It's not fantastic, it's not horrible. And I'm almost always looking at it in mobile view anyway.
  • CharlesW
    Hate the green, but don't like green anywhere else, either. Changed it back to tan and blue.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • francis
    OK.. so far it's 5 up and 1 down. Those who vote for both up and down simply cancel out votes on both accounts.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Out of thousands of members on this forum, why are you (me included) ten people the only ones that contribute here?! Oh, I forgot. This is the Catholic Church.
  • chonakchonak
    So far it's:
    6 like the green
    1 doesn't like it
    4 like the theme selector

There are 2089 registered users, and that figure includes people no longer using the site.

About 300 users have been on the site in the past 2 weeks.

Some people register but lurk and never post. And of course some accounts appear to be registered by spammers, though most of them never post anything.
  • francis
    chonak

What is the total number of individuals who have actually posted a message?
  • chonakchonak
    I don't see that figure on display anywhere. Definitely over 1000 users have posted at least one comment.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    It took a while to get used to it, but I think I like it.

Now, did I read somewhere that the color scheme is going to follow the liturgical calendar? So, we'll get some sort of violet (-ish) color for Advent? And then white (-ish) for Christmas?

And come Pentecost, will we follow the OF or the EF calendar?
  • francis
    OK... all ten active members of the forum have voted. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Well, I don't mind 1960s appliances. But with the green, are we putting out the subconscious message that traditional church music is a 1960s appliance?
  • donr
    Thumbs up
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Actually, I've become so enchanted with this tranquil shade of green/blue that I'm trying to find a match for it at Home Depot with Martha Stewart's paint. I think it's Bermuda Bay or maybe it's Tropical Lagoon. I can't decide which.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • francis
    OK... so the forum has gone 'green'
  • francis
    OOOOOooooo. pink!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    OK... so the forum has gone 'green'

Part of the ecoliturgical movement.

Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I know Martha's a Polish-American girl, so she's probably Catholic; I hope she's still practicing!
  • chonakchonak
    My desktop:
    1680 x 1050 - 854K
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ooooo. Purple! I'm sure Martha would approve. : )
  • francis
    Chonak

Advent and Lent?
  • chonakchonak
    You can turn it on now if you want.
  • francis
    Chonak:

This is too cool.

I know this might be asking too much, but can you map this to the feast days for the year so we have liturgical colors appear properly for the day? It would be "truly neat" for the name of the Feast Day to appear at the top of the page, maybe in the dark purple at the very right reversed out in white.

Of course, time zones will be a problem. You would have to map IP addresses to a zip code table and then serve resulting colors. Could be a real pain.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know this might be asking too much, but can you map this to the feast days for the year so we have liturgical colors appear properly for the day? It would be "truly neat" for the name of the Feast Day to appear at the top of the page, maybe in the dark purple at the very right reversed out in white.

Of course, time zones will be a problem. You would have to map IP addresses to a zip code table and then serve resulting colors.

This is the most important project anyone has ever suggested for CMAA, I believe we need to immediately start a KickStarter campaign to fund it.
    Thanked by 2chonak Kathy
  • chonakchonak
    Some browsers have not been displaying fonts well on the forum, so I'm putting in some changes to the fonts used.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Sorry.
  • chonakchonak
    (responding to Andrew's note before he took it out)
    Ahem. A usable problem report contains the following information:

OS
    browser

And is your handheld device using the full-page format or the mobile format?
  • chonakchonak
    Oh, Andrew, I don't mean to bat away your problem report. If it's really looking worse on your device, it doesn't hurt to say so. Previously, the fonts looked awful for Chrome users running Windows. That's why I put this change in.
  • BenBen
    Chrome on android, force desktop view: looking fine.
  • chonakchonak
    Revising the font selection order to try to help Andrew with his Blackberry trouble.
  • BenBen
    Ohh, the new one (10:38pm CST) hurts my eyes.
  • chonakchonak
    See 10:48 p.m. ET comment.
  • BenBen
    Doh. Should have remembered. Win7, Chrome.
  • chonakchonak
    Post a screenshot. I have Chrome on Vista here and it looks decent.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Note the difference between forum font and browser font ("Choose file").
    1280 x 768 - 138K
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Is that the difference between Bold and normal type in this font?

Choose File

Also compare Italic and Bold Italic.

To me (FireFox, Windows 8), they seem compatible.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Chrome on Windows is notorious for bad font rendering, particularly anything embedded (@font-face). Chrome (a product of Google) cannot even properly render fonts from Google's own Open Font project.

Most annoyingly, this even affects rendering of client-side fonts. Many web pages use a font-family declaration: Use X if they have it local. Otherwise, use Y if they have it local. Otherwise, use Z. Chrome on Windows can't even render LOCALLY OWNED fonts correctly. (I recently added Helvetica to my desktop, and all the sites that had been failing over from Helv. to Arial suddenly looked like a complete disaster. Most versions of Garamond have the same problem.)

This has been a problem for several years. The Chrome Dev team recently announced that this will be fixed this year, perhaps in the next couple months.

In the mean time, @chonak and @anyone-else-who-does-web-dev: avoid @font-face, avoid Helvetica for body text (even as part of a font-family) and pretty much treat typography (for Chrome, at least) like it's still 1997 (Arial, Georgia).
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • chonakchonak
    Time to hit the 'reset'.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Yay, thanks, we're back.

I feel like I just cleaned my glasses.