Changing hymns tunes to other metric hymn tunes
  • Hi everyone,

I have a question I am looking to use the hymn "god whose purpose is to kindle" this coming next weekend. In the worship III hymnal, the text is set to a unfirmilar tune to my congregation. Is it okay to switch an use a hymn tune that is more known-IE- Nettleton or Pleading Savior? Or is it liturgically correct to use the hymn tune in the hymnal it's set to? Just curious if there are any liturgical rules as to which hymn tune can be used.
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    I've been in Parishes that have switched the written tune for a more familiar one, so I think you'd be all right.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    mm923, what you think is SOP (standard....) in that's why metrical and hymntune indices exist. That's their raisin duhtruh! ;-)
  • lmassery
    I do it all the time - no problem at all and perfectly 'legal'
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Not to change when change better ... is outrage!!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • By all means...
    unless, of course, the tune your congregation know is less flattering to the text than the one in the book. One should be careful not to do this MERELY to avoid learning a good new tune that might well become a good old tune.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also-
    print it in the program. Please don't ask people to look at one tune while singing another. It's very upsetting.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Liam
  • Well! It doesn't upset me: it's fun.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    MJO: I think we can safely say you are not representative of the average congregation member. (Would that it were so....)
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If the tune in question is very familiar, I think you could get away with it, particularly if your cantor (for better or worse) still announces the hymns.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "Please join in singing Amazing Grace, number 344 in the lillac colored hymnal.. we will sing it to the tune of Joy to the World."
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    "Please join in singing Holy God We Praise Thy Name, number 62 in the mauve disposable missalette. We will sing it Recto Tono."
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • matthewjmatthewj

Over my dead body.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Recto tono! Oh, Adam would be SO pleased.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "As our liturgy concludes, and we are sent out into the world to serve God and reduce carbon emissions, please lift your hearts and voices in song by joining us in singing 'On Eagles Wings' from the discarded newsprint programs left here by my predecessor. We'll sing it to the tune of 'Holy God We Praise Thy Name.' Also, we will use the text from 'Holy God We Praise Thy Name.'"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And just how does that singing reduce "carbon emissions?"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And just how does that singing reduce "carbon emissions?"

By catalyzing community engagement, and encouraging open dialogue between diverse populations on a number of sensitive topics.

(Obviously.)
  • chonakchonak
    Can't use the discarded newsprint programs; we're contractually required to dispose of them after their expiration date.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Well, I started reading this thread because I was interested in the consensus, but the consensus is that everyone is very silly.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    I once worked in a Protestant church, where changing hymn tunes was rather routine. No one thought much about it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Rather amazing that people who profess not to read music can suddenly become upset by observing that 'that's not the tune that's printed there'! If they can't read music, what difference does it make... they learn by following (with intelligent curiosity) the choir and the organ. They are joyful at learning a new tune. Stop selling them short.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen