"Communio" pdf available?
  • As I mentioned in a comment to a recent post at the Café, Communio is a great little book, especially for choirs or scholas that may not have the ability (or the permission) to sing more than one Gregorian antiphon at a given Mass. I know that all the chants are individually downloadable on the CMAA site. I'm wondering, though, if a combined pdf of the entire book is available, or if it can be made available? I'm aware of a place (a cathedral, in fact) that does not really have the funds to buy copies of the book, and is in a foreign country with onerous import restrictions and protective tariffs on printed matter, but which might be able to make good use out of a pdf to help start reintroducing a bit of chant after 45 years.
  • BenBen
    heck, I'd love to put up a full PDF on my phone and tablet, but I'm not interested in downloading each file.
  • chonakchonak
    Jeffrey tells me we actually don't have a full PDF we could distribute. We're just happy to have permission to distribute the individual files.

If somebody has time to download the individual PDFs, he could make a ZIP file for that cathedral.

Incidentally, if someone wants to buy multiple copies of any CMAA book, ask about discounts; they start at 5 copies, even in mix-and-match orders.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Anybody with Acrobat Pro could combine the PDFs into one PDF. If there is genuinely a need, message me and I'll do it.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Ummm… perhaps I should mention that I have the full Communio in a single PDF. (I obtained it licitly… I believe it was made available as such, somewhere around here, back when it first came out.)

From chonak's post above, I'm thinking that it's not something I ought to distribute.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know specifics, but I would assume that we have permission for the individual files, but not for distributing the whole book.

If it might be useful, let me mention that all the same Communion antiphons are available in one PDF file in the Gregorian Missal, though without the psalm verses.

For EF use, the psalm verses are available in a single book, Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • BenBen
    What's the difference in the whole book and combining it ourselves?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Admittedly, I didn't look carefully through it, but is this the whole thing?

http://media.musicasacra.com/books/communio_english.pdf
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Not if you want the Latin verses.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Gotcha
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    WAIT. That's the one I have… the Communio with the English verses. Not the Latin.
  • chonakchonak
    Is there a reason to think that the cathedral mentioned above would find it difficult to download and use the individual PDFs?
  • Thanks to everyone -- no, I'm sure there is not much problem with using the individual pdfs. (And I have Acrobat Pro, so I can stitch it together.) I just thought that if there were a combined version already good to go, that would be easier.

Also, since I've only ever held the physical book in my hands for about ten minutes, I couldn't recall if there were any other useful materials in there that might be of interest. For anybody who has it in front of them, are the contents basically just the index and all the chants that are on the website?

And yes, in this case, English verses would be no good. :-)
  • chonakchonak
    That's right; the book contains only what's on the web site.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • Richard R.
    Most recent PDF, used in the current print version (I think), is attached. (Y'all could ask the editor, you know...)
    RRice
  • Rock on! Thank you, Richard! (And I had figured that by posting on the forum I was both asking the editor and also asking anybody else who might tell me that it was already available in some corner of the web I hadn't thought to check.) This is great.