Where to go to Mass?
  • G
    I'll be in a car driving from Chicago to NY on a Sunday later this summer, probably leaving well before dawn, which means even Ohio might be a good possibility.
    An anticipated Mass is out of the question - any suggestions on a parish along the route that has a dignified, solemn, (small "s",) Mass?

There used to be a sort of map of Gregorian scholas, but I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    http://musicasacra.com/miscellany/registry/

I added the link to the big "Resources" list on the CMAA site.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    There was a database around the CMAA site that had an editable map, but I can't seem to locate it.

Nevermind, chonak to the rescue.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Speaking of which, perhaps the link to that database should be a little more prominently displayed on the website.
  • chonakchonak
    G, a friend tells me that the Mass is offered decently at the Basilica at Notre Dame, just a few minutes off I-90. There's a video archive in case you'd like to check first.
  • WendiWendi
    What do the different colored markers mean?
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe Noel knows; I think he set it up.

To find the registry, go to the home page and search for "registry". I wish that more common words such as "schola" and "map" would help, but they appear in many pages on the site.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Bobby Bolin
    There are a few churches in the Cleveland area that might interest you. OF or EF?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    St. Joseph Cathedral in Columbus, Ohio is worth the trip.

www.cathedralmusic.org

Sadly the choir is out of season, but the organ, organists, and repertoire is out of this world.
  • BenBen
    The colors don't mean a thing.
  • AP23AP23
    You shouldn't worry about the music that much, if you can't find good music. The Mass is about the liturgy, not so much the quality of the music.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    You shouldn't worry about the music that much, if you can't find good music. The Mass is about the liturgy, not so much the quality of the music.

I didn't see anything in the original poster's comment to indicate worry. Rather, like me when planning a trip, I like to research a little and make an informed guess as to where the best music is likely to be. It's not a foolproof rule of course, but where there is good music, there is usually good liturgy. And where there is good liturgy, there is usually sound doctrine undergirding it all.

Anyway, G. If you are near Buffalo, you could come to Our Lady Help of Christians in Cheektowaga. Latin Mass with chanted propers and ordinary and a very excellent organ and organist. St. Anthony's of Padua has one as well, but I haven't been there yet.
  • lautzef
    I don't know where you will be along the way, but Immaculate Conception in Cleveland is right off I-90 downtown and the traditional mass is at noon (come 10 minutes early for the rosary and the prelude). We will be singing an ordinary from the 15th century (not a mass cycle but individual movements) and several motets (Lassus Exaltabo te at Offertory, for one), in addition to the chanted propers and so forth. I think the postlude will be an early counterpoint piece from the Warsaw Manuscript (but my practice time is on Saturday so I could change my mind).

St. Stephen is also right off I-90 on the West Side of Cleveland (you cn get off at the West 41/West 44 exit. Their mass will be all chanted.
  • Bobby Bolin
    Mary Queen of Peace in Cleveland and St. Adalbert in Berea are both 10-15 minutes from I-90 and both offer very traditional style OF masses.
  • marajoymarajoy
    If you're going to New York City instead of more northerly-NY, anything off 90 (if it's not also off 80 -so, after it splits,) will be a bit out of your way. I'm still unclear if you want OF or EF. If you just want a decent OF that's close to I-80, then I think the least out of your way would be St. Adalbert in Berea. Their 8:30 am and 10 am is nice, but I think during the summer they have nothing special musically - just hymns. During the school year you'll want to stay away from the 11:30 am, but I think I may have heard that in the summer it's the same music as at the others.

Mary Queen of Peace (good OFs), St. Stephen (good EF, decent OF), and Immaculate Conception (good OF, don't know anything about their other masses) will all be lovely but in that order will be further and further out of your way if you're on I-80.
  • G
    Thank you, all.
    Sorry I wasn't clear, NYC is the final destination.

AP23, what in the world are you talking about?

I said I am seeking solemnity and dignity, and didn't mention music per se, (and certainly said nothing to indicate I was "worried" about it.)
    The possibility of a schola was mentioned merely because the ministrations of one would be a fairly good indicator of probable solemnity and dignity.

"The Mass is about the liturgy, not so much the quality of the music. "
    That's part of the point - any music ought to be liturgical, actually BE the Liturgy.

EF or OF would be fine.
    Eastern rite would be fine.
    A "silent" Mass would be jake with me and my traveling companion.

What would not be fine is a banjo Mass, dancing, a children's pageant, a priest who passes the Blessed Sacrament to someone to hand down the row to a communicant, a lesson in self-hypnosis in place of a homily, a soloist wailing on a mic', a mini-roast mid-Mass dedicated to a retiring parish secretary, a sermon delivered by a sock puppet... (and yes, all of those have been experienced either by me personally or by someone whose report is unimpeachable.)

Thanks again, all.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1Jenny