A full-time job, advanced degree at part-time wages?
  • Director of Music/Choirmaster
    Cathedral of St. Joseph
    13th and Eoff Street, Wheeling, WV 26003
    Email: kquirk@dwc.org

Cathedral of Saint Joseph, Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, is seeking a part-time director of music/choirmaster to develop and lead the music program, serving diocesan liturgical events and all Masses of the cathedral parish. Collaborating with the cathedral rector and organist, successful candidate will develop/plan/coordinate the cathedral music program for solemnities and weekend Masses and work with the diocesan worship office to plan diocesan liturgies. Requires advanced music degree in choral conducting or sacred music, or comparable education/experience. Salary, benefits commensurate with education, experience. Email cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references to Msgr. Kevin Quirk, J.C.D., J.V.

Honestly speaking, should these job positions not also include directions to the nearest fast food restaurant where you can pick up enough hours flipping burgers to supplement a half-time salary at the cathedral and diocese?

They are saving, say $30,000 a year. Couldn't the bishop insist all the priests buy Fords and kick in a grand each to be able to afford a really topnotch musician in this post? If they do it, it will trickle down into their parishes.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Forum admin, feel free to remove the purple prose or ask me to....

Church Custodian wanted. Part-time - you only have to clean up half the mess, just leave the rest lying there.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PT, advanced degrees, myriad duties?
    And in West Virginia ?
    Sure, good luck widdat.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    This happens all the time in music education: admins want someone who has a Masters degree, at least 10 years of experience, and five immaculate references, but they are only willing to offer .4 time, based on 0 years of experience on the Bachelor's schedule.

Honestly speaking, should these job positions not also include directions to the nearest fast food restaurant where you can pick up enough hours flipping burgers to supplement a half-time salary at the cathedral and diocese?

When I was hired for the job at the Catholic school where I teach, it was assumed that the job would be part time (the person before me was, and did a top notch job, so why should it take a full-time employee?), and the principal assumed that I would go down to part-time at the call center where I was currently working and do both jobs, as well as teach lessons after school. I rejected that offer, and was promptly offered full-time. I know that doesn't always work for everyone, but I'm glad it did for me.
  • CharlesW
    Their economy isn't doing so well at the moment, thanks to an anti-coal politician I will not name. My sister lives there, so I get pretty reliable economic information.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Just to chime in, as someone who is much better (or at least more accomplished) conductor than an organist, who normally keeps an academic day job, if I were in the area, this would be a dream job.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Adam Wood
  • The division of musical duties in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston is a bit unorthodox. There actually *is* a full-time music position at the diocesan level: that of Diocesan Organist. The organist is based at St. Joseph Cathedral, but from what I understand travels throughout the diocese for various pontifical liturgies when necessary. I believe the Cathedral DoM is an employee of the Cathedral Parish and not the diocese. I think they are looking for exactly the type of person SkirpR is describing: an already-employed professional musician looking for more work.

And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Wild and Wonderful State as a potential home. Stunning landscape, low cost of living, and Wheeling is only an hour from Pittsburgh!
    Thanked by 2marajoy BruceL
  • And work at Wendy's to pay the mortgage?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    And work at Wendy's to pay the mortgage?

I don't imagine this is a full-time job. You'd be planning the music for Sundays, holy days, and special diocesan events. You'd be rehearsing and conducting the choir. I imagine you would most likely have one Sunday Mass at which you'd be musically active, with the organist playing the rest along with funerals and weddings. Why does it need to be a full time job if there's not full time work? I know this, because I've had this exact kind of job before (and am about to have it again) in other places.

Look, I understand there are a number of parish positions where pastors expect full-time work at part-time salary. I've seen them too. This just doesn't sound look like it. And having a separate organist and music director is a solution I personally wish more parishes would consider. It doesn't suit every situation, but I think there are some situations where it is not on the table and probably should be.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Not trying to be argumentative, but a quick google search shows that the diocessan organist is a professor at Duquesne in the composition dept. It doesn't appear he is full time with the diocese; from what I saw it appears that he is just the organist for most diocessan functions and at the cathedral.

So who is really the "diocessan music consultant" or "diocessan director of music?" The cathedral MUSIC director, ORGANIST, or someone else?

• Look, I understand there are a number of parish positions where pastors expect full-time work at part-time salary. I've seen them too. This just doesn't sound look like it.

That's my hunch, too. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that this is for a cathedral, not a parish. But then again I don't know how many Catholics there are in the area.

And having a separate organist and music director is a solution I personally wish more parishes would consider. It doesn't suit every situation, but I think there are some situations where it is not on the table and probably should be.

Amen. I've been part of that- currently am- and seen it work.
  • BenBen
    My Cathedral has a similar situation. The director only works part time for masses and rehearsals.

It works well though, because the choir director for the Cathedral (Sunday) and Diocesan (ordination/chrism) choirs is also the head of the Diocesan Office of Worship, so he is full time with the diocese, just not all on music.

The arrangement seems to work well, allowing the office of worship can put an appropriate focus on music when needed. For example, several years ago, the diocese brought in Fr. Skeris to do a chant workshop at which several bigwigs from the big city parishes were present, as well as many of my friends in the traditional contingent as well. Win-win.
  • With all the weirdness of my home state, CA, I'm thinking the rolling hills and home prices of WV sound kind of dreamy. And I like Pittsburgh, too. Does it snow in WV?

Whoa- population is 28k. From a county of more than 2mil, that sounds really appealing. And unemployment is less than my city (San Diego).

Charles W, looks like you're right about coal mining and cities shrinking. Sadly, the population is less than half of what it was in 1920 and 1960. And it's been going down for several years. What a pity. I bet it's beautiful, and the folks are said to be lovely there.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    So who is really the "diocessan music consultant" or "diocessan director of music?" The cathedral MUSIC director, ORGANIST, or someone else?

I assume the music director is the music director and organist is the organist, but I could be wrong. Go figure, having two people, working together and collaboratively, who already have other jobs they're happy with (probably not McDonald's or Wendy's) who love to serve the Church and are professionals!

Maybe some think this arrangement is not fair to all those people who are searching for a full time position of "music director AND organist," and I respect that, but there are plenty of times I've been frustrated because a job I otherwise would have liked would have required me to give up my day job because they couldn't bring in a part-time organist to play funerals. So, I don't see anything wrong or nefarious with offering two part-time positions if it has developed that way over time for one reason or another. I've been told in the old days, this arrangement used to be far more common. I don't believe they're firing a full-time person and deciding to go this route or anything.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Not trying to be argumentative, but a quick google search shows that the diocessan organist is a professor at Duquesne in the composition dept. It doesn't appear he is full time with the diocese; from what I saw it appears that he is just the organist for most diocessan functions and at the cathedral.

PGA--The Diocesan Organist that you found on your search is, indeed, a faculty member at Duquesne. He was hired about two years ago. I remember when the position was advertised, and it was listed as full-time. Not sure if that changed during the hiring process or not. I can't answer your question about who's job it is to interact with the chancery, but my guess would be the DoM.

MaryAnn--the shrinking population is certainly true, but not uncommon for any rustbelt city. One advantage enjoyed by the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston is that the diocese covers the entire state. It's a poor state, but that's a large number of parishes for the chancery to draw upon. I think there's also a bit of Old Money left in Wheeling. The bishop is a former Rector of the National Shrine, btw.
  • BruceL
    A lot of people in this thread taking pot shots at my home diocese! Shame!

In any case, njgw's assessments are spot on, and the current diocesan organist is a very fine musician and nice guy. The model of director-as-part-time isn't my ideal, but (for someone familiar with the state of music in that diocese) the cathedral has been doing much better music the last year or so. It would be a nice job for someone who only needed a part time position. The bishop is very reasonable when it comes to pay, as well, so I would be surprised if the salary isn't basically full-time. The cathedral is a very small parish, so I'm sure that is part of the issue. As these things work, too, sometimes a parish will pay up for someone they really want.

Wheeling is a great city; it is probably only going to get better as fracking picks up in West Virginia: ever since steel left, Wheeling has had a hard time getting back on its feet. You are also very close to Pittsburgh as well as natural beauty in the mountains of PA, MD, and WV. But then, I'm biased!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh come on, BruceL, don't take it personally. Half my 43 years worked in Diocese of Oakland, CA. (gasp, womynpriests rampant, Masses in a hundred vernaculars!) and the other in the Diocese of Fresno (From the mini-series, "This stuff tastes like.....FRESNO! UGH.)
    20th century poet/writer Gertrude Stein infamously described Oakland thusly: "There is no THERE there."
    And Fresno's "international" airport's FAA acronym is FAT. They've tried to fake it out with the public with a classier(?) FYI, or Fresno Yosemite International, but the luggage tags and tickets still state FAT.
    Next time I'm in Pitt., I'll come visit you in Wheeling as I, too, support frakking!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    melo... sometimes your posts are just incredibly entertaining. That ˆis one of them!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • BruceL
    Charles, I think you missed the sarcasm...we from WV are well aware of the blemishes...we just like to point out that the great state is called "Almost Heaven" for a reason!
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • Two thoughts:

Is the Diocesan Liturgist also part time?

Is it just possible that the purpose in listing the position is to remove the onus of providing evil "benefits" under the Affordable "Care" Act? After all, if one is paying based on ...... such a salary would be considerable, even at part time.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the onus of providing evil "benefits" under the Affordable "Care" Act?

That sort of thing has been going in churches long since before the Affordable Care Act.
  • BenBen
    Correction: "Affordable" "Care" act.
  • great state is called "Almost Heaven" for a reason!

Ahhh...John Denver......Almost Heaven, West Virginia...Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River........it's a beautiful state.
  • Bruce L, after reading your comment, WV sounds more and more appealing.
    Sounds quiet, with natural beauty, nice people. The cathedral looks beautiful.
    Any interest in the EF in or near Wheeling? Homeschool scene?

Have to ask...
    Snow?
  • Guadalupe
    My husband is from this area, and I grew up about an hour west. The area is quite beautiful, and I'm convinced no one would be truly disappointed. It is, however, small town living, so a person may want to live closer to Pittsburgh if that's a problem. Yes, MaryAnn, it snows there. :)

The only EF around that I'm aware of is in Steubenville, about 30 minutes north, and the last I knew was held monthly.

The cathedral is small but quite beautiful.

Regarding the homeschool scene, I'm not sure of the numbers in the area, but it's not unusual by any means and there are many opportunities for activities in the area. Neither Pennsylvania nor West Virginia are particularly homeschool-friendly, but Ohio rules are easy to abide by. For those unfamiliar with the area, Wheeling is in the Northern West Viriginia panhandle along the Ohio River, with Ohio immediately to the west and Pennsylvania 12 miles to the east.

Please let me add that seeing an organist job posting for the cathedral several years ago is what inspired me to seek an organ performance degree (and I didn't even play the organ at the time!) Now that I've graduated, I still don't live close enough to work there, but my heart skips a beat (or several beats) when I see job postings. Sigh.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Church Secretary Wanted
    St. Waytoobig is a growing 12,000 family parish located in the sprawling hills just outside of Springfield and is searching for a new secretary. Position requires type-setting the bulletin, answering phone calls from parishioners, maintaining the calendar, and taking notes for the Pastor, Monsignor Difficult. The secretary is also required to unlock the doors each morning at 6am and lock up all doors at 8pm each evening.
    Candidates must have a Ph.D. in psychology or M.D. with specialization in psychiatry, be able easily to lift 300lbs high above their head, be able to speak English, Spanish and Mandarin, and be able to play the organ (someone recognized as a Fellow the American Guild of Organists is ideal) in case the Director of Music is hung over. Salary: $22,000 - 25,000 depending on education and experience.
  • ronkrisman
    It amazes me that the moderator allows this job posting to be ridiculed these past two days, while those he himself has posted (presumably from his friends) are all "discussion closed."

Why shouldn't those who contribute to this forum be able to make fun of all job postings?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Why shouldn't those who contribute to this forum be able to make fun of all job postings?

Love the pivot.
  • Kathy
    This isn't a job posting. It's a posting about a job posting.

Thanked by 2francis BruceL
  • CharlesW
    As I mentioned earlier, my sister lives in West Virginia - Beckley, to be exact. It is a stunningly beautiful area with great people. But they do have some serious winter weather, as in heavy snows. There are a number of my Byzantine cohorts in various parts of the state. We do have a presence there, and of course, in Pittsburgh.
  • Kathy
    presumably from his friends

I think this is the rudest comment I've ever read here. Ever.
    Thanked by 3Ben francis MHI
  • CharlesW
    (presumably from his friends)

How do you know he has friends? LOL.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Fr. Krisman, that's a sore subject here.

I want ALL job postings to be subject to comments. The site "officials" disagree. But I'm glad this one has been allowed to continue. I think honest and open discussion is ALWAYS good, even when it's not considered "polite."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ronkrisman
    I think this is the rudest comment I've ever read here. Ever.

Pardon me. Should I have written, "presumably not from his friends"? What I wrote was a simple statement of what I presumed to be fact. No rudeness was intended, I swear.

Now your comment, on the other hand---
  • CharlesW
    I have generally maintained that these job posting have probably appeared in multiple places before they even get to us. They are often old, and a bit out of date, to begin with. I see AGO positions listed some time before they show up here. It is generally an AGO member who duplicates them on this forum. Are we certain they are even still open when posted?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As Kathy stated, this was not a job posting. It wasn't brought onto this forum for that purpose. It was a thread ABOUT a job posting, specifically complaining about the nature of job postings (and jobs, for that matter).

The "job posting" rules do not apply.

On the other hand, I honestly don't understand the constant complaint about job postings. You might as well complain about how people are stupid and don't know how to use punctuation marks correctly. (Which, is; totally-- true...]

This is just my opinion, but:

I think complaining about something specifically happened to you personally is fine, because sometimes you need to blow off steam or whatever. And I also think complaining about general things is fine if there is some inherent entertainment or educational value there (if you can make a joke, or make a point). But I don't really see the value or purpose behind general "isn't it terrible, there oughta be a law about that" sort of griping.
  • Kathy
    Apparently people can say rude things without intending them, merely by presuming corruption and voicing one's presumption. Who knew?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Apparently people can say rude things without intending them, merely by presuming corruption and voicing one's presumption. Who knew?

Happens ALL. THE. TIME.

When you read something that someone says and you feel like you might be offended or insulted, you should follow these steps...
    1. Ask yourself, "Could the person have meant something else?"
    2. Ask yourself, "Could the person have intended it as a joke?"
    3. Ask yourself, "Could the person think that insulting me is a form of compliment or a sign of friendship?"
    4. Even if none of the above apply, and it's a legitimately offensive comment- decide that you don't need to get offended. That's on you, yo.
  • ronkrisman
    @Adam: I appreciate your thoughts. However, I said absolutely nothing about "presuming corruption." My comment was about presuming friendship.
  • Kathy
    Why didn't I think of that? It's brilliant! Then Fr. Krisman can be as rude as he wants and no one will ever call him on it. Thanks for the great idea!

• Kathy
    (purple) Quick, Adam, get a grip, you're becoming a Quaker--and they don't have a choir! (purple)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    @ronkrisman - To the extent my advice was directed at anyone in particular, it was not you. Although, after re-reading, I think I misunderstood what I was responding to. (Them's is the breaks, isn't them?)

@Kathy - We are all, generally, at least as rude as we want to be, and often more rude than we intend.
  • It amazes me that the moderator allows this job posting to be ridiculed these past two days, while those he himself has posted (presumably from his friends) are all "discussion closed."
    If you slip the moderator a few bucks, she'll let things slide. As I understand it, she has no friends and she was once a mother superior whose desire to control things went....amuck. In her hermitage (or should that be himmatige?) she's permitted a computer but only with dialup. It appears that her return to normal society....is not expected.
  • BenBen
    She? Richard sure sounds like a feminine name to me.
  • Kathy
    The moderator may be bought for almost any kind of trinket. His judgment is meant to be swayed. Friendship, whiskey, a decent steak--and you will get your moderation moderated.
  • Kathy
    That was purple. Obviously.
  • Seriously, and do take this the right way, Fr. Krisman, it's a breathe of fresh air to have a priest who is not trying to be a nice guy but then falls apart under scrutiny and leaves or freaks out. Some priests are jerks....and they tend to hide it, like being closet...anglicans!. I get the feeling that you are also a slight bit of a jerk, but with the openness to speak out and stand up for what you think. Which ameliorates jerkiness.

A friend quit a job because the rector of the cathedral never complimented him - ever. When asked why, "When you do something I don't like, you will hear about it."

And since excommunication is not within your powers, I can feel comfortable typing this.

Ben...PURPLE. Think Ri-shard. Never assume gender from names...like noel.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It amazes me that the moderator allows this job posting to be ridiculed these past two days, while those he himself has posted (presumably from his friends) are all "discussion closed."

Father, really, no one ramped up any serious ridiculing of the post. Isn't it all about perspective? Sure, I was second outta da gate, but if one couldn't detect a "wink wink, nudge, nudge" satirical take, then they've had a funnybonectomy, so sorry. As far as I can tell, the thread continued more or less in that vein, until your statement of indignation. Fair enough.
    You might have forgotten, there are not a few serious multiple decades' worth of veterans herein who've not necessarily always been on the same page with you about who holds the upper hand regarding collaboration and collegiality between professional laity and pastoral clergy, most of whom talk about practicing those values ceaselessly from the ambo. Enough said about that, because the last thing we need around here is a p*ssing contest about who's more set upon in that axiom.
    And Richard, for that matter, is doing way more good work in the revised schema of the Forum than has ever been applied, and just like in parish work, to my knowledge he does it by choice without compensation. That's how CMAA rolls. And as far as political correctness goes, I can't count the times that I've been rebuked here for presumably trying to mitigate flame wars between folks. It's really like intra-family squabbles, two siblings in each others' face, you butt in, then the whole family turns their attention to you instead. Father, you're family now here. Even before you showed up with your luggage in hand.
    I could say "move on, nothing to see here" but, that's not my call. But here, in my experience, our relatives like to sort it all out freely before retiring for happy hour.
  • CharlesW
    Richard does great work. No one can deny that.
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • For the record, I was not ridiculing- I was (and still am) dreaming about life in quiet, beautiful, friendly WV. Where there is no Gov. Moonbeam, etc. All is not well in CA, hasn't been for some time, and I wonder if I'm on a sinking ship to stay in this state.

I think the original post, as it sparked a conversation about part-time work in our field, and it's reasonable limits, was worth making.
    Thanks, Noel!
  • Welcome!