Repertory for Rome trip
  • kevinfkevinf
    My choir and I are planning a trip to Rome in the spring of 2015. We will sing at St. Peter's for a Mass during Easter (will know the exact date in a few weeks.) We will prepare some of the propers for the Sunday but also will sing two concerts during the tour. Might you suggest repertoire with these limitations:

Acapella SSAATTBB.

I know I want to carry some of our esteemed composer Frank LaRocca, especially his Ave Verum, but everything else is open to suggestion.

Your thoughts?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    During Easter, I love settings of the "Alleluia" a la Randall Thompson. There are a number of choral works just on that word, and while it's not taking American music to Europe (if that's your idea), there is a setting which I find absolutely beautiful by Romuald Twardowski. I think it is published by a French publisher.
  • ronkrisman
    At least two spirituals in each concert. Audiences in Rome seem to expect them from American choirs.
    Thanked by 2SkirpR kevinf
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    At least two spirituals in each concert. Audiences in Rome seem to expect them from American choirs.

Yes. Audiences anywhere in Europe, really.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    SkirpR, and of course Kevin, please check out my Alleluia, a la RT. Piano or orchestra, tho, no organ accompaniment yet.

recording

PDF of vocal score attached; it's the finale of a 35 minute Magnificat.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sounds like great fun, Kevin.

How about Haec dies a 6 by Byrd? Or Victoria's Regina Caeli a 8?
    Thanked by 1IanW