NPM 2013 In Washington, DC
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    So ... Fresh off of the "NPM vs. CMAA" thread ...

I have to ask, who is going to the convention in a couple weeks?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    crickets
  • matthewjmatthewj
    This is the first one I'm missing since 2007. I'll probably go to St. Louis next year. I just have no desire to set foot in D.C.
  • I'm going. I haven't been to a national convention in 6 years, but I'm giving it a go this year.
  • I just have no desire to set foot in D.C.

This.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes. That.

St. Louis, on the other hand, is a great city! Fantastic restaurants, excellent bars and culture, Horst Buchholz, etc...

I think we should try to get a large CMAA presence at the 2014 convention. Forget about renting a table from NPM. Let's just stand around in the common areas and hand out flyers advertising the Association.
  • jpal
    I'm playing organ and piano for the opening and closing ceremonies, but I do not have time to attend other events.
  • Kathy
    You don't like DC? In the summer? /purple
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • not crickets. A scourge of 17 year Locusts.

Let's just stand around in the common areas and hand out flyers advertising the Association

We could dress as Amish. Maybe then they'd finally understand.
    Thanked by 2SkirpR Wendi
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Some of you may not wish to set foot in D.C. I will not question your reasons or motives for expressing that fact.

But after my father was transferred by the U.S. Forest Service to D.C. to work for some 18 months in 1957-58 and the rest of my family moved there for the academic year where I was a senior in and was graduated from high school in Alexandria, VA, I found that Washington, D.C. was an enlightened place and an enlightening experience on many levels. It opened my eyes to the possibilities that lay ahead of me, and I fell in love with the city. I spent many hours in the Library of Congress reading and studying all sorts of things, including music and working on a senior research paper on British Astronomy before the 20th century. While there, I also reconnected with Leland B. Sataren when he brought his college choir on tour to D.C. (I had gotten to know him when I had sung Handel's "Honor and arms" and won first place in the vocal division at a regional h.s. music competition that he had adjudicated, which led to recruitment efforts on his part).

After leaving D.C. and moving to Milwaukee, the experiences of my 9 months in the D.C. area were of great comfort and aid in my undergraduate studies at the University of Wisconsin, 1958-61 B.A. in mathematics). In the first year of my graduate studies at Princeton, 1961-64 (Ph.D. in mathematics), my father was transferred back to D.C., staying there until after his retirement near the end of the Nixon administration. With me in graduate school, then at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, and finally on the faculty at U.Va., I made many trips back to D.C. and always felt that it was, somehow, "my city" which I loved. even long after my parents had retired and moved back to the Midwest (to Indianapolis, where my sister lived with her family).

As the seat of our Federal Government, Washington commands my respect and engenders my patriotism. As the home or location of numerous arts, educational, religious, culinary, scientific, cultural, military and industrial organizations, institutions and businesses, it fills me with awe and love, as well as the consternation at the problems of any major metropolis. Whatever others may think in terms of liking or disliking it, Washington, D.C. is one of the great cities of the world, splendidly laid out with sweeping federal architecture and design, monuments to great American presidents, as well as to fallen heroes in battle.

And I won't even attempt to describe the rich Catholic presence (Roman and otherwise) in and about the city. I would be happy and proud to set foot in D.C. once again.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    There's a nice little church there, next to a nice university (there's a not-so-nice one there too). And the Library of Congress. But that's a bit like Lenny Bruce's bit about going to Vegas for the Apache Dancers instead of "gluteus maximus and pectoralis majors nightly"

Yes, I shouldn't be contributing to the threadjack. And DC has been good to me. Bur I only leave the Shire for Mordor on pressing business. And I suppose NPM could be that, but it isn't, for me, this year.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • WendiWendi
    DC has some wonderful cultural opportunities...but the traffic is horrific. I would most likely NOT try and go there in the summer. February is really the best time to visit DC.

Noel...dress Amish...LOVE IT!!!
  • CharlesW
    Can't you just see Noel in black hat and coat with beard?
  • WendiWendi
    Why did I just get this mental image?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Except with CMMA, it's
    "Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1399."
  • DC has some wonderful cultural opportunities...but the traffic is horrific.

Seriously, who drives in DC? I had a car there in graduate school and I had to go start it and run it every couple of weeks because I never touched the thing.
  • CharlesW
    Love Weird Al.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    OK, well if you followed the pipe organ thread, you noticed that I said that I went to visit the organ before we committed to it. That was my first trip to DC in years, and this will be my second in one year.

I liked it. I didn't find the traffic that bad; in fact, I stopped to see the white house (just felt like something one should see if you happen to be in the city) and I parked right around the corner, on the street for free, in front of an unmarked secret service car with two uniformed agents inside, also street parked. So I walked the block or two, feeling that my car and belongings were very secure, saw the white house, then came back to start off for home.

I enjoyed my day there; we'll see how spending a week there is, but I'm thinking it'll be fun. And we get mass at the national shrine basilica with Cardinal Wuerl, so that's a plus.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • CharlesW
    I could spend a month, given unlimited funds, at the Smithsonian. DC in the summer would not be fun, although it can't be any more hot and humid than East Tennessee. Someplace cooler and drier would be better for summer.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I didn't find the traffic that bad

Yes, I'd say the traffic on the highways and suburbs outside the city seems to me to be worse than the traffic in the city.
  • francis
    Used to live in Baltimore, visited DC all the time, never want to go back again if I don't have to.
  • I am currently living in the DC area; not my favorite place to live, but it isn't bad, either. Andrew, I am in graduate school right now, and have a car, and use it, although I prefer other means of transportation when possible. Traffic tends to be pretty bad during rush hours, but better in the middle of the day or late evenings. That said, I will be at the NPM conference and would enjoy meeting others if you will be there!
  • Kathy
    Only visit DC in October.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just for comparison:

St. Louis average weather

Jun 85 Hi / 67 Lo : 4.34 in
    Jul 89 Hi / 71 Lo : 4.19 in
    Aug 88 Hi / 70 Lo : 3.42 in

Washington average weather

Jun 84 Hi / 66 Lo : 3.78 in
    Jul 89 Hi / 71 Lo : 3.73 in
    Aug 87 Hi / 70 Lo : 2.93 in

This seems to confirm my childhood and young adult memories that St. Louis was just about as hot and humid in the summer, if not a little more so, than Washington, D.C.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I had once heard anecdotedly that until the availability of home air conditioning became more widespread, military families stationed in and around Washington DC received hardship pay because of the summer climate!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In 1957-58, at least, there was a 90-90 policy in effect for federal offices: if the temperature and humidity were both 90 or above, workers were sent home. I remember my parents being sent home on several occasions.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    if the temperature and humidity were both 90 or above

In Central Florida it never would have occurred to us that this phenomenon required a special name.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    St. Louis, on the other hand, is a great city! Fantastic restaurants, excellent bars and culture, Horst Buchholz, etc...

...And soon to be my new home!
  • DougS
    I will be in DC at a time coextensive with that of the NPM Convention.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey Doug, long time! Keep your collar loose and your beer tab open.
  • I'm sufficiently out of the loop here, having been to neither convention in some years, but somehow NPM in DC seems quite logical. I can't go, but I wouldn't go, even if I had the opportunity. On the other hand, a visit to nearby Christendom College would make flying to Reagan National worth some pain and suffering.

To try to steer this thread back to where it thought it was going before it got hijacked, does anyone know what the program was/is for NPM/DC 2013?
  • jpal
    A big theme is celebrating 50 years of Sacrosanctum Concilium.
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • DougS
    Charles, my wife is the one going to the convention. I'll be doing research at the LoC and taking in some new sights.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That, Doug, still doesn't mitigate my advice, particularly on the temp of your brews in sultry DC!
    Thanked by 1DougS
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I was registered to go but, because of a number of factors, it is no longer financially feasible. I figured this was a blessing in disguise because of the effort I had to put into even finding workshops remotely related to Sacred Music, and that I could take the fee and put it toward the CMAA convention next year. I am certain I would get far more out of the CMAA convention. I am slowly but surely realizing that NPM does not meet my needs or standards.
    Come to find out.... after a certain time you can only get a refund in the form of a credit toward the 2014 convention. Great.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Assuming I go to NPM 2014, I'll host a tea for CMAA members. :)
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    DO IT.