"Playing the Church Organ" Books 1-4
  • We've created a training system for organists, introducing them to organ registration in a rather backwards way, by giving them the registrations as preset pistons to give them a chance to play classic church organ registrations, then work with them to build on this knowledge and interest them in learning how to register the organ stops themselves.

A lot of organists who have not been trained all too often end up playing the same stops all the time - one reason that people don't enjoy hearing the organ in church.

I mention this here for, though it was designed to educate organists with a brand of organs now in production, more than half of the purchases are by organists playing other brands, including pipe organs. When surveyed, the reason is that they buy them for the music - organ music, especially for manuals can be hard to find. Book 1 has 34 pieces for manuals only - all 4 have about 100 pieces.

Many organists appear to be interested in works that are short to medium length that rely upon their piano background rather than requiring much, if any, pedal technique. The ability to play pedals is important - but not important enough to prevent people with limited time or lack of a teacher from playing the organ.

We have just added a free download of .mp3 files of all 34 pieces for these people, and thought some here might have organists or be organists themselves and would like to hear some of the music to evaluate it.

All the recording is live - there were two organists who did the work. But of the two, I take responsibility for any mistakes you might hear.

www.playingthechurchorgan.com Book 1 is available in English, Portuguese, German and Japanese.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • TeresaH
    Will these be transcribed into braille?
  • Yes, most definitely.
  • canadashcanadash
    Awesome... How can we let the masses know about this...anything I can do?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Are the MIDI files required, or are all the registrations written out in the book for those who aren't playing on a Rodgers?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Canadash,
    we have some people who want to offer a workshop to introduce this teaching system - we would support you/anyone interested in doing that.

Earl,

There is a guide that goes out when books are ordered to using the books with organs without MIDI - it includes a printed list of the registrations - in fact, we also prepare the registrations for free and email printed lists when people send us the stop list of their organs, no matter who built it. The audio files were created when we began to get a demand from people who did not have MIDI and could not listen to the music.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • I've been reminded that we have a few copies available as downloads without charge of Book 1 in exchange for review notes - which we would be free to use keeping the name of the reviewer anonymous. If interested, email me at noel@frogmusic.com