Cantors- a paid profession??
  • musicman923
    Hi Everyone,

There has been talk at the church where I'm music director at of cutting the cantor stipend. It has been an on-going issues for the last 5 years with the parish finance committee. The cantor is not paid a lot of money per mass only $35. The church pays for 2 weekend masses that are cantor-ed every week throughout the whole year. During the summer there is no choir, a cantor is paid for the third mass as well. It roughly costs $4,000 dollars a year counting weekend masses only, not include holy days etc.... I would say in total between $4,000 and $5,000 dollars a year for cantor pay.

I can see both points of view on this topic. I see that the church needs to pay it's bills and the first thing they will do is look at this $4,000 dollars a year being spent and say "well that can go toward something else more needed in the church!". Both of the cantors that I use have music degrees from colleges and have done music their whole life. I look at a cantor as one who does not need to be taught how to sing, and can learn music on their own without needing me. I'm afraid that if we lose the cantor pay, the church automatically loses the best cantor from the church. It's a traveling issue not a singing diva must be paid issue.

What are other church music directors doing with this issue? I'm sure I'm not the only music director who is possibly having this issue. My church in the only one still in the area of 7 Catholic churches between the three closest towns that still pay their cantors.

Looking for help and thoughts on what to do if the church decides to cut cantor pay!
  • CharlesW
    As my associate pastor says often, "Nothing is too good for God." He makes a good case for worship being our top priority and the best thing we can spend our money on. If your church doesn't buy into this, you may get lucky and find a good volunteer. Then again, you may get exactly what you are paying for.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As my associate pastor says often, "Nothing is too good for God." He makes a good case for worship being our top priority and the best thing we can spend our money on.

It's just like Jesus said:
    Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.
    For I spent several years studying music, and you did not pay me for my expertise:
    I had an attractive singing voice, and you gave me not a regular gig.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I'd suggest cutting the church repair stipend instead. Surely there's a parishoner who can get up on that steeple and do what needs to be done.
  • costanzodcostanzod
    Personally,

I would tell your church to count its blessings to be so fortunate as to have to pay ONLY $35. In Chicago, Cantor Stipends are much higher. I recently was quoted a price for a cantor (from Lyric Opera) of $350 to sing Pie Jesu on Good Friday and 3 others selections (Abide With Me, OSacred Head and Were You There) for a 1-hour prayer service. Typically, Chicago cantors that receive a stipend start at fifty dollars per mass without additional rehearsal.
    Thanked by 3Liam Gavin CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I recently was quoted a price for a cantor (from Lyric Opera) of $350 to sing Pie Jesu on Good Friday and 3 others selections (Abide With Me, OSacred Head and Were You There) for a 1-hour prayer service.

I would love to see more paid musicians in the service of the church. In particular, full time Music Directors and semi-permanent choral scholars.

But I have a hard time with the notion of a jobbed-in singer.

Maybe it's just me, but- it seems to me that music ought to come from the community itself. I don't mean just volunteers. I mean that hired musicians ought to hired (ostensibly) long term and become a part of the community. The practice of hiring a singer for one special Feast Day liturgy promotes a culture where trained musicians flit from place to place and have trouble calling one particular parish "home."

• chonakchonak
    It might be worthwhile to ask your diocesan office for worship if they have any policy or guidelines. Some dioceses have policies published on the net. For example, this document on the Salt Lake City diocesan website recommends a payment of $70-100 for a "simple service".
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I know this is like "beating a dead horse" but, Why is that protestants don't need cantors?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    but, Why is that protestants don't need cantors?

Because they are not Jewish.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The question of course is why Catholics do. The answer I've been given is that pews are not "another suitable place" for the 4th reading to be proclaimed from.
  • hartleymartin
    $35? At that pay rate, they are definitely doing it for love of God more so than for money. The usual rate for a musician is $100 - $120 per hour. $35 would barely cover the cost of travel and expenses.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Liam francis
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Unfortunately, I have inherited a Parish that has not paid cantors in a very VERY long time, if ever. I wholeheartedly believe that what the people demand to hear demands a degree in vocal performance (or at least, a sensible amount of vocal study.) A degree in vocal performance can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I have one very professional cantor who has a degree in vocal performance and have persuaded the church to pay her as our "Cantor Coordinator" so that she is mainly responsible for training volunteer cantors, giving masterclasses, scheduling cantors (and handling conflicts with scheduling), and filling the cantor role when no one else is available. She is paid roughly $200/month for the Cantor Coordinator position. In addition, she holds right of first refusal for all weddings and funerals which guarantees payment for every funeral/wedding for which she is available regardless of her involvement in the actual ceremony.

Now, though, we don't have any volunteer cantors. In fact, the pastor asked me to "fire," for lack of a better term, one of our volunteer cantors because he saw her as unfit for the ministry (which, in all fairness, she was.) Any other cantors that parish had before I started have either stepped down for personal reasons, or left the parish altogether because they don't appreciate that I don't cater to egos. In light of this, our "Cantor Coordinator" has morphed more into our "Cantor" for almost every Mass.

Not having a paid cantor places restrictions on the quality of the Ministry. I often find myself needing to plan music around the cantors' ability (range, musicality, etc.) rather than fully realizing the ministry's potential. Lenten chant and Introits? Forget it unless I have the professional cantor. (Unless I am able to spend additional hours each week preparing the volunteers which, frankly, I'm not. And, before you ask, no, the cantor coordinator's job description does not include rehearsal with the cantors.)

For the benefit of everyone, and out of respect for the money professionals have invested in their skill, AND in the interest of offering the BEST to the Lord.... cantors ought to be paid.

Now, down the street at the other parish our pastor runs, they pay $100/Mass for a cantor at two Masses.

In my own experience, I have been paid $50, $65, and $75 in different parishes as a cantor.
  • I would humbly submit that priests (and organists?) must be willing to face a long silent and uncomfortable transition and dismiss all cantors. From the publication of the first lutheran chorale book, to its actual use in church we have at least one hundred years. The first record of congregational singing happened in Hamburg early 1600s.
  • chonakchonak
    Oh, congregational singing goes back earlier than that. Fr. Ruff has written about congregations singing vernacular adaptations of the Easter sequence in the 1100s or so.

But there is a place for cantors: not for leading hymns, but to sing the propers in place of a choir. In Protestant communions lacking any tradition of liturgical propers, it is no wonder that they do not retain the use of a cantor.
  • Perhaps we should really be asking...

Should our cantoring be of Professional Quality?
    Or, are we happy with cantoring that is of Amateurish Quality?

Some amateurs, of course, are really good.
    Most aren't, and I don't like listening to them.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Actually, I'm finding the use of the "Responsorial Psalm" increasingly common among protestant churches. Whatever one may think of that.
    Thanked by 2chonak Adam Wood
  • hartleymartin
    That may be due to the rise of the Revised Common Lectionary which many protestant churches have adopted. It is based on the current 3-year cycle of readings used in the Ordinary Form mass.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Actually, I'm finding the use of the "Responsorial Psalm" increasingly common among protestant churches.

Indeed, but Lutheran congregations (as well as Methodist) have the pointed text in the hymnal and, even when there is a cantor or choir, sing the Psalm verses antiphonally on their own (this is what makes playing a service on the Lutheran seminary's Spanish one-divided-manual instrument such a workout!). If GIA had been willing to spend on the extra ink for punctuation marks my Catholic congregation would by now own more than just the reponsorial refrain.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RM -
    It's not just a matter of the publishers' ink budget. The insurmountable hurdle is the varied coterie of people who presume always to speak for 'the people' who insist that Catholic 'people' are incapable of anything more than a (very, very easy) psalm respond. But for this dominant lobby, Catholics everywhere would be singing as well as (quite a lot of) Protestants. But, then, as soon as I say this, someone will interject with an air of apostolic authority that, after all, singing is a Protestant 'thing' that reverent Catholics have no need of. 'And so it goes.'
    Thanked by 2MHI CHGiffen
  • I am DM at a small parish, but we still pay $50/mass for a cantor. But, most of the parishes in my area are paying $35/mass. My parish is further away from the main city area and, therefore, we include travel in our stipend.
  • CharlesW
    I don't think singing is Protestant, but congregational singing was limited in many places prior to Vatican II. Catholics didn't have a strong tradition of singing like Protestants. That doesn't mean they can't be taught to sing, if decent material is available for them to sing. Leadership has a big effect on this, and let's face it, with low or non-existent salaries for musicians, our leadership hasn't always been the greatest. If you hire a choir director who can't read music or conduct a basic four pattern, why would there be any surprise that the congregation(or choir) can't sing?
  • Our former director had no music training at all. She was a "good singer" and the former pastor hired her based on a concert he had gone to where she was singing. Forget about conducting. Her arms waved in every direction known to man without any rhyme nor reason. If you sat in the front row, you would often times be slapped from all the arm flinging. But, because she wasn't the organist, she was able to lead the congregation in song. That's the big problem I have right now. Being hidden behind the console, the choir can barely see me, let alone the congregation, who definitely needs direction. It's amazing to me that easy traditional hymnody seems so much more difficult for them to sing than contemporary music with changing meters and verses that are different. I can't figure that out.
  • WendiWendi
    That's easy. Many people in the pews are musically illiterate. They can't read music, and have learned everything "by ear". The contemporary stuff with changing meters is all they heard growing up, so they "know" it.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Gavin
  • ronkrisman
    But, because she wasn't the organist, she was able to lead the congregation in song.

Whoa, Nellie! Did an organist write that? If so, is he or she perhaps admitting that he or she has not received training in how to lead hymn singing? If so, the solution is: get the training.
  • WendiWendi
    Or it could be that she is commenting on the difficulty of conducting WHILE playing the organ due to how the choir loft is arranged.

I know of a number of organists who have the exact same difficulty...which has nothing to do with their ability to direct a choir or lead hymn singing and everything to do with visibility.
  • francis
    I see that the church needs to pay it's bills and the first thing they will do is look at this $4,000 dollars a year being spent and say "well that can go toward something else more needed in the church!".

More needed?!
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood irishtenor
  • ronkrisman
    Or it could be that she is commenting on the difficulty of conducting WHILE playing the organ due to how the choir loft is arranged.

I know of a number of organists who have the exact same difficulty...which has nothing to do with their ability to direct a choir or lead hymn singing and everything to do with visibility.

Wendi, I think you misunderstand what Musicteacher56 wrote. There was no reference to the "former choir director" leading the congregation in song from the choir loft. And you did not understand what I was saying either. Leading hymn singing from the organ has nothing to do with visibility. This is a common misunderstanding of song leaders, namely, that they are the ones leading a liturgical assembly in song. It may happen, but only if the organist has not learned how to lead with the organ.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • canadashcanadash
    More needed?!

Waterheater, airconditioner, fans, plumbing, tiling, carpeting, resurfacing, cleaning, replacing, repainting, paper, pens, desks, photocopier... It's all a matter of opinion I guess.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • First of all, we don't have a loft. Second of all, what I meant was that, because she did not have to play, she was able to look out at the congregation and lead them in song. NOT the choir, but the congregation. My parish needs a lot of direction and cannot be lead by the organist (me) because I'm on the bench (unless, of course, I want to play while standing!). It's not a matter of my not having the training. They need somebody immediately in front of them, waving their hands. After two years of organ music only, this parish still cannot hear the organ melodies nor keep tempo unless somebody is directly in front of them. Besides, on second thought, they don't look at my anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

I am well-trained and direct the children's choir from the bench with no problem whatsoever. The adults, however, need the help, and because we've had such a charismatic director in the past, the congregants cannot sing to the organ without direction in front of them. I formed the children's choir, so they are trained directly from me and have learned from Day 1 to look and pay attention.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They need somebody immediately in front of them, waving their hands.

I would... dispute this.

Thanked by 3Spriggo Gavin marajoy
  • Please don't dispute this, Adam. I'm very, very serious. I wish to God I wasn't.
  • ronkrisman
    Well, Musicteacher56, we'll just have to disagree on this issue. I do not believe that a song leader (and that's actually what we're talking about here since it is a matter of "leading" congregational song, rather than chanting the verses of a psalm [the role of a "psalmist"] or the verses of a refrain and verses song [the role of a "cantor"], is ever needed when there is a competent organist. In the past, whenever I was the "cantor/psalmist" at a Mass, I never stood before the congregation when a strophic hymn was sung; the organist was the leader and the congregation understood that.
  • I don't think it's a matter of disagreement. It's a matter of knowing the congregation. One of the things I'm having difficulty with on this forum is in having people private message me that some of what I'm posting seems so out of the ordinary and unbelievable. I agree. I probably wouldn't believe most of what I post, either. But, the fact remains, that I work for a parish where the congregants need that direction. And, to question my ability as a "competent organist", is unjust and unfair (which is, for the most part, what you are saying). I have a degree in music, have given lessons for the last 40 years, and have taught classroom music for over 10 years. But, it is just in the last few years that I've been thrown into the world of liturgical sacred music after years of contemporary folk groups and children's choirs that sang the likes of "His Banner Over Me is Love". The same goes for my parish. Our new pastor, God bless him, is 180 degrees off the former pastor. Everything changed overnight.

I work for a very, very unique parish, and if you've read some of my other posts on other threads, you would see that I am up against quite a bit.

Several people have asked me what it's like to work for the church. My answer is "I have stomach aches every night". Need I say more? With the graces of God, I'm able to handle these stomach aches, and carry on, but I don't need colleagues on a forum that has helped me so much doubting my words, nor my intents.

God bless to you and may the Holy Spirit guide you in your ministry, as I hope and pray He continues to guide me.
  • ronkrisman
    Musicteacher56, I apologize for any offense I caused you. You're right. I do not know the peculiarities of your parish and should not have assumed that all parishes are able to address a particular musical issue in exactly the same way. My prayers for you as well.
  • Thank you, and, of course, apology accepted. We live in such turbulent times when it comes to liturgical music, that we all need to be supportive of each other, no matter what the particular parish circumstances are. In parishes where folk groups are the norm, to try and introduce sacred music is almost impossible.

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, I think that parishes that have a strong commitment to sacred music have no choice but to pay for decent cantors who are musically educated, not just great singers. There are too many "great singers" out there that know very little Gregorian chant nor modal structure. Even if the cantor is a part of the choir, that particular singer should be compensated for the extra time and rehearsal.

Okay, time for bed.....off my soapbox for now.

• chonakchonak
    I"m willing to believe that people at 56's parish need the song leader. But that sort of conducting (if that's what it is) can be phased out over time.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Maybe your congregation does need the song leader. I am not there, so I don't know them. But it sure sounds to me like you represent a major change and they don't follow you because they don't want to.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo marajoy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    they don't follow you because they don't want to

That.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • WendiWendi
    musicteacher...your congregation isn't THAT unique unfortunately. For those that have never experienced what she's talking about...I'm glad for you... and I envy you a bit.

My current parish doesn't have this problem, but I've belonged to a number of them that did.
  • Charles has a point. Perhaps the problem is in just being obstinate to change. In the meantime, the Lord has given me a challenge that I'm finding difficult to meet at times. The silver lining is that the Bishop complimented the music at Confirmation this year. I had three singers and a cantor, the congregation barely sang at all, and the Confirmandi didn't sing the music they requested. A small parish means too many cooks in the broth all the time, with a lot of "parking lot" conversations going on.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the Confirmandi didn't sing the music they requested

Shocked. Shocked!
    (We'd all like to know what it was, I'm sure.)

There are many opinions on congregational singing. Since I'm sure your main problem is a lack of opinionated people telling you their opinions, I'll share mine:

A congregation that wants to sing should be given the opportunity to do so, and should not be stymied by grumpy traditionalists attempting to redefine "active participation."

By the same token, a congregation that does not want to sing should not be goaded or prodded into it by goofy progressives attempting to redefine "partipatio actuosa."

Finally:
    Assuming the Music Director is of at least adequate competence, and has his or her motivations in vaguely the right alignment, a parish will get exactly the music program it deserves (and usually, the one it really wants, despite protestations to the contrary).
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • chonakchonak
    Why do parishes put confirmandi or first communicants on display to sing when they are not used to it and have not volunteered for such a role?

• CharlesW
    We don't, and I won't allow it to happen!
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • I didn't mean that the Confirmandi were "put on display". Quite the contrary. In my opinion, that's part of the "music for entertainment" mindset I'm so against. What I meant was that in their preparation, they had requested certain music for their mass (with my approval) and then didn't sing it from the pews with the rest of the congregation (who didn't sing a lot either).

Thanks for all the comments, but please let's leave it alone now. The fact remains that some parishes are larger than others, have bigger music programs, more advanced singers in their choirs, and congregations that are large enough where no one group dominates. Unfortunately, that is not my case in my parish. At any given mass, we only have about 150 people, most of which are extremely opinionated, and never a weekend goes by without some kind of comment (good or bad) about the music, the priest, and the liturgy itself.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Why do parishes put confirmandi or first communicants on display to sing when they are not used to it and have not volunteered for such a role?

RC, this reply only considers first communicants in our situation. As DM for our parish, including school and children's RE, the decisions to have the children enjoin a song or two of "their own" is one made by their teachers to which I have no objection whatsoever. I think the notion that they're forced or coerced to be put on display is at least a cynical imposition. I oversee at least four/five of these first communions, only one from the school in which I teach, and the kids very much love to sing, as they're prepared to sing well: all on pitch, diction clear and sung with innocence and heart.
    Now, of course you know that this situation can only be mitigated by a dedicated music leader with skills in working with children. Presuming that's in place, then explain to me how the sense of joy and accomplishment in a worship art is not an edifying addition to the powerful experience and witness of their first reconciliation and communion?
    What would you do if you could teach them "Gustate et videte" that they could own themselves and render themselves? And how is that different than what the Madeleine kids are doing in SLC right now in your presence?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • I am not American and I need to be instructed on this. I have been told that cantors were brought in to encourage congregational singing. It has been 40 years. Has it been successful? I have worked and studied in many different places, Leipzig, Winchester Cathedral, Princeton etc and I have seen and heard wonderful hymn singing without cantors. A parish would invest $100 per mass for a cantor. 4 masses could pay for 4 paid section leaders.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • GavinGavin
    For what it's worth, my mother tells me that, during the days of the "old Mass", my grandfather and other cantors would stand in front of the congregation at Mass and "conduct" the congregation in singing. At least in her church.
  • GavinGavin
    "I have been told that cantors were brought in to encourage congregational singing. It has been 40 years. Has it been successful?"

NO.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    stand in front of the congregation at Mass and "conduct" the congregation in singing

I've seen Protestant ministers do this as well.
    Actually, come to think of it- I've only seen it among Methodists.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    "I think the notion that they're forced or coerced to be put on display is at least a cynical imposition."

My first communion was about 20 years ago. My "cynically imposed" memory is that I hated it, and all of my friends hated it. If we had the option (and I think I recall that I asked), we would not have done it. I'd call that force or coercion.

My hypothesis as a churchman observing such carryings-on is that kids enjoy having a role at church, but they don't enjoy having a show made of them. Yes, there's the ones that just love to get up there and cut up, or wave at mom and dad, or play pop star, but isn't that the kind of behavior that should have been discouraged by... say, when they first receive Holy Communion?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    kids enjoy having a role at church, but they don't enjoy having a show made of them.

This.

..statement needs to be translated into morse code, and then delivered via ball-peen hammer to the forehead of every person who has ever used the phrase "sing louder!"
    Thanked by 2Gavin Nicholas_Will