Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow - revisited
  • TomK
    This short choral piece is in my collection The New Gloria Deo, Volume Two published by Augsburg Fortress. The pictures were taken by the C & O Canal near Harper's Ferry, WV.
    The recording is the publisher's demo recording.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Lovely and so peaceful. Thank you for this. I found your hymnal and am adding it to my wish list. Along with this hymn I look forward to having your rendition of "God bless ye merry, gentlemen" which is one of my all-time favorite carols. : )
  • TomK
    Thank you. God Rest Ye ... is in the style of the Christmas Revels. I hope it works for you.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Tom, I know there's always a hesitancy to ask this of composers, but would you consider sharing your "inspirational lineage" as well as perhaps direct mentors.
    To my ear, and without implying the unique properties of your own vocabularies, it seems that folks like Gawthrop, Paulus, Stroope, Houkom, Clausen (kind of the North/Midwestern ethos, tho' Randy's in I think VA.) have piqued your interest.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    I've used this text set to the hymn tune "old hundredth". It's a useful one to keep in the repertoire.
  • TomK
    to melofluent - I'm just an old church musician. Please visit my composer facebook page I recently put together. Like it too please - it'd be nice to round up my likes!
    https://www.facebook.com/Thomas.Keesecker.composer
    As to my "inspirational lineage" - I don't know what to say - stuff goes in - stuff comes out. As I get older I care less what people think. I do want my stuff to be liked of course, but I'm not hampered with anxiety wondering what people will say. My pieces are little statements about what I want to say or what I am feeling - you noticed it in the Ave Maria, but sometimes I simply tell folks I just like to play with notes - it could be crayons, but notes are what I've played with for so long it would be hard to change.
    School - Berklee College of Music in Boston for two years and then a Composition degree from Catholic U of A.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm just an old church musician

I love it! (Hand raised in peer solidarity.) C'mon, Chuck, Noel, CW et al, raise your hands for us old f*rts that have stayed the course!
    JMO's only physiologically young. He's actually about 1200 years old in his soul.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Geezers got game.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • TomK
    I'd raise my hand too except for the nagging bursitis. I'll just jiggle my walker.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey AW, you didn't credit me, as when I first wrote it, it was copyrighted!
    Dagnabit whippersnapper!

ahem, regaining composure....composure....get it?.......Nevermind.
    I think we do owe a debt to the generation of pre-boomer composers such as Prof. Jenkins at Dusquesne and others who also stayed the course towards beauty rather than mere innovations that replaced inspiration in the 20th. That said, we can't forget that the Cages, the Crumbs, the Dallapiccollas (had to get him in) still provided serious composers with reactionary perspective from which we now benefit with Coragliano's, Adams, LaRocca, Thomas Newman....in the US, at least.