Where to find....suggested hymns....Gospel Alleluia weekdays and more
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    This arrived in my email this morning:

I am Roman Catholic and am active in the music program as a volunteer.

Although I have a multitude of years experience in playing in Catholic, Anglo-Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. churches, I know nothing about the resources for picking hymns etc. for the Catholic Church. Now for a local Episcopal church where I hold a job as a music director, I use the Episcopal Musicians Handbook, Liturgical Music ABC for the Revised Common Lectionary, "Synthesis," and other publishings from Church Publishing Corp. What similar resources exist for Roman Catholic musicians who are geared more toward Worship III and Worship IV rather than Gather and the OCP drivel?

I use CanticaNova for finding the Sunday Gospel Acclamation Verses which I set in Finale 2012 using the chanting tones for the selected Alleluia or Lenten Gospel Acclamation, and I also am aware of Musica Sacra, which I consult regularly too. That said, where does one go for the daily Masses to find the Gospel Acclamation Verses (USCCB is no help with this), and most immediately, hymns etc. for Friday June 9, 2013, "Most Sacred Heart of Jesus," which I have to play in one week. I have the Psalm setting for that day in Guilmont's revised Lectionary Psalms. but I can find no suggestions for hymns or the Gospel Acclamation Verse for that day.

• BenBen
    Your best bet is buying a daily missal (as in hand missal). I use it regularly for music like the antiphons as well as the alleluia verse. It seems to be the easiest resource I've found for having the alleluia verses handy.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sacred Heart can replace Sunday so CanticaNova should have a page for it.

Lumen Christi Missal also has Psalm settings for all daily Masses.
    What missals do you recommend for the OF, Ben?

I'm also thinking that a group-created suggested hymn list might be appropriate - especially with alternate tunes that are well-known for feastday hymns.

SO many people rely solely on the OCP and other guides....let's give them something else.
  • GavinGavin
    "SO many people rely solely on the OCP and other guides....let's give them something else."

Like a job interview at the local MacDonald's.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Chrism
  • jpal
    This is a good missal from OSV. I have the pre-MRIII version and like it a lot.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I would have assumed the same thing as MJ, but I don't see Sacred Heart listed on Cantica Nova. Any daily missal should do for the readings and Gospel Verse. GIA's Sunday's Word which is only a couple bucks lists the Gospel Verse for weekday Masses (though ironically not for Sundays). I have also used LiturgyHelp.com. Although there is a subscription cost, it comes in handy for daily Mass. Complete lectionary and missal texts and the ability to copy and paste into a worship aid etc.. Very useful, but overpriced IMO.

For Sacred Heart there are two options for the Gospel Verse:
    Gospel Acclamation
    Mt 11:29ab
    (R.) Alleluia, alleluia.
    Take my yoke upon you, says the Lord,
    and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.
    (R.) Alleluia, alleluia.
    or

Jn 10:14
    (R.) Alleluia, alleluia.
    I am the good shepherd, says the Lord,
    I know my sheep, and mine know me.
    (R.) Alleluia, alleluia.

As for hymns, despite my reservations on Worship IV the indices are very comprehensive for hymn choices.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Hmm. Does Sacred Heart not replace the Sunday if it falls on it? Oh wait, it's 19 days after Pentecost... so it would never fall on a Sunday.

Logic is escaping me today.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Bobby Bolin
    Try the St. Joseph Missal. There are 3 editions that I own: Sundays of the Year, Weekdays Vol 1 & 2. They are a very valuable resource.
    Gavin and Adam,

I'd rather see them invited to join Musica Sacra.
    Thanked by 2Chrism CHGiffen
  • For the American Church, the paperback version of the Daily Lectionary is invaluable for use in the OF. It and the Graduale Romanum will give you the answers for the propers
    for the weekdays (Years I & II) and Sanctoral in the OF. I then cross-reference to find, if
    available, SEP Introits & Communios for School masses.