• Mark HuseyMark Husey
    One of our local Catholic schools sang the "Hallelujah" from Shrek at Holy Communion for their Baccalaureate Mass. *face palm*
  • canadashcanadash
    Actually, the only time I refused to do as the associate pastor asked, was when he tried to convince me that the "Alleluia" song was indeed appropriate as the anthem for offertory. He's since retired. PTL.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Thanks for the cartoon.

I don't think there are many examples of people using "You're the one that I want" in a wedding, but there are of the dreadful "I Swear" by BoyzIIMen.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Organ toccata on Buck Cherry's soon-forgotten hit Crazy...err..
  • melofluentmelofluent
    With fugue to follow on Heart's "Crazy on You" with a hologram E. Power at the console.
  • SalieriSalieri
    With fugue to follow on Heart's "Crazy on You" with a hologram E. Power at the console.

Maybe Virgil Fox would be more apropos?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, Virgil, or Diane, but she's actually still breathing, right?
  • Bette Midler was the rage for funerals at one parish where I sang. I've blocked out the song.
    Bad old days indeed!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Wind beneath my wings" MACW, doubtless.
    Glad to be of assistance with your now insidious earworm!
    "DID YOU EVER KNOW THAT YOU'RE MY HEEEEEE----ROOOOOOOOOO?"
    Whilst I'm waxing on about really stupid stuff, has anybody ever wondered why so many bridezillas or Godzillamoms request Brightman/Bocelli/Groban "Il Sogno?" for their dagnabit wedding? God forbid they should hear anything Latin outside of Schubert, but Italian's, so, ....so, oh romantic?
    I'm making a vow. Next time I'm asked, I'll counter with "Not while I'm around" from Sweeney Todd. Why not? I own an antique straight razor....
  • Steve QSteve Q
    No, no matter how much your husband loved Roy Rogers, you can not have this at his funeral mass:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqUyNaSdvg
  • melofluentmelofluent
    But Steve, you must allow for the "alius cantus APTUS" of "Streets of Laredo." Make a mental, very mental note.
    Thanked by 1Steve Q
  • Melo/ Dad!! How could you?????
    Streets of Laredo- LOL!
  • Liam
    A very close and dear friend of mine actually witnessed a bride singing "I Don't Know How To Love Him" at the wedding ceremony in church in the 1980s. "...I've had so many men before...he's just one more..."
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    If your going to have a "rock Mass" why not go all out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iFAf7a0gi4
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Don't any of you remember the huge stir that was a burp among the fascination with the SLJ's and the Dameans, John Michael Talbot's MASS OF THE LORD'S SUPPER. If there was a truly revolutionary moment that had beauty and a sort of authentic ethos of the period, that was it.
  • chonakchonak
    Really, JMT deserves credit for that album. Who else was able to get the Mass into Evangelical teens' tape players?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • hartleymartin
    Some people have SOME of the right idea when requesting beautiful classical music... but often they ask for things like Pie Jesu or Miserere Mei Deus... I then ask them to confirm if it is a nuptial or a requiem they are after...
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • I recently attended a wedding where Pie Jesu was the processional of the bride. I thought to myself "poor girl, I guess she's being forced into this and has resigned herself to a death in this marriage!!!!" As DM, I have a list of hymns that I will play for weddings and a sheet explaining why these hymns were chosen. If a bride is insistent because "Aunt Sally has been singing this song at all the family weddings", then I lead her to having Aunt Sally sing it at the reception. I simply won't play it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I simply won't play it.

"I'm sorry- I just don't think this will sound good on the Pipe Organ."
    "This looks really hard. I don't know if I can do it justice."
    "Yeah, I think I know it- it goes like this, right?" [play it in a sprightly Renaissance style]
  • GavinGavin
    Maybe they mean "death" in a madrigal sense...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    +1 for 9th Grade English Lit. Class.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ah, memories of Purcell and the "little death," Gavin. And I do mean memories. Regarding this text, the title does imply: "Sweet Jesus."
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • cmb
    @Earl_Grey That is some vigorous liturgical dancing.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey ZacPB189
  • G
    To see, to hear, to touch, to kiss, to die....

I dunno...

Went to a Communion service this a.m. where a medley of On a Clear Day, Tenessee Waltz and Old Rugged Cross accompnied the distribution of the Body and Blood of our Lord.

I give up.

(Sometimes.....)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    That is some vigorous liturgical dancing.

I like how the dancers materialize out of thin air and then almost float--magical.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ger, you are still da Bomb!
  • Thanks, G! Somehow I now have the Dowland AND the unfortunate medley churning around in my head.
    It's difficult to handle this while drinking a hot toddy.
    God bless you for suffering through it all during prayer.