Complete English Propers - Has anyone ever seen this book?
  • Andrew Motyka
    Hi all,

I've been going through my predecessor's bookshelves (6 months into the job; you can tell what kind of year it's been), deciding what to keep and what not to, and I found this little gem:

Complete English Propers for the High Mass
    for all Sundays and principal feasts
    set to Gregorian melodies
    adaptable to psalm tones or hamonized settings
    edited by Rev. Paul Arbogast

It was published out of St. Joseph's College, Rensselaer, IN, in 1964. It predates the first postconciliar Missal, and so uses the preconciliar calendar. In many ways, it's similar to the Graduale Simplex.

It has ALL the propers (except the Alleluia), in English, for every Sunday of the year set to Gregorian tones.

Has anyone ever seen / worked with this? It's like Fr. Arbogast was 50 years ahead of his time. Or we're 50 years behind, depending how optimistic/pessimistic you are.
  • Andrew Motyka
    Hmm. Actually, yes, that's it.

So I guess the answer is "Yes, anyone has seen this book."

Also, in going through these shelves, I'm finding quite a bit of stuff that might be "of note" to the CMAA. I'll have to come up with a complete list and find out how useful they can be.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Grateful acknowledgment is made to the following contributors to this volume:
    Rev. Columba Kelly, O.S.B

Dude's got longevity.
  • hartleymartin
    I think this text was something put together at the prompting of Sacrosanctum Concilium, and was probably done in the belief that the 1962 Missal would be given an approved English Translation and not much else would change. I believe that some Anglican Churches already used "The English Missal" which was basically a c.1920s translation of the Tridentine Missal, using existing translations for many things from the Book of Common Prayer.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka IanW
  • Andrew Motyka
    Dude's got longevity.

True story.

My pastor was a brother at St. Meinrad for decades, and loves what he has done for music in the area.
  • Dear Andrew,

I'm not sure when the CMAA first put the Abrogast online, but I did mention the collection you cite HERE the other day.

[edited by admin: deleted an incorrect incidental comment]
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    There was also a whole series by various composers (I'm not sure the entire liturgical year was covered) of vernacular choral propers put out by World Library in the 1960s corresponding to the old calendar. I'm planning to do a lecture recital on some of the Graduals, Tracts, and Alleluias composed by Joseph Willcox Jenkins at the October CMAA St. Agnes conference in St. Paul.
  • Heath
    SkirpR, can we see some of these???
  • SkipR is referring to the "Summit Series." Here's some information about the series from our diocesan music archives:
    An immediate need following the Second Vatican Council was the composition of new settings for the propers of the Mass in English. A historically significant contribution to this effort was the publication of the Summit Series. This was a partnership between the Diocese of Pittsburgh and the publisher, World Library of Sacred Music. The Pittsburgh Diocese commissioned most of the compositions in this series.

According to undocumented information in the diocesan files, the works in the Summit Series were published between 1965 and 1973, with the majority printed between 1965 and 1968. By 1971, there were one hundred seventy-one pieces in the series, including compositions by Robert Kreutz, Richard Felciano, Henry Papale, Leo Sowerby, Russell Woollen, Robert Sanders, and Pittsburgher Joseph Jenkins. Each composer received a twenty-five dollar commission fee.

Most of the works in the Summit Series required the use of organ, although some were a cappella. The choral arrangements initially favored men’s choirs, but some pieces included sopranos and altos.

Continued changes in the Mass resulted in the Summit Series itself becoming obsolete, especially when the Gradual and Alleluia were replaced with the Responsorial Psalm and Gospel Acclamation. Except for a few pieces that have been reprinted as choir anthems, most of the works in the Summit Series are now out of print.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Heath SkirpR
  • Heath
    Fr. Jim, can we see some of these???

: )
  • Heath,

Unfortunately, here in Pittsburgh, we only have in our files a very small collection of some of the works published in this series. It's a shame that we don't have the whole set, especially considering that the Pittsburgh Diocese commissioned most of these.

I wish I could share what I do have here on this site, but I believe that they are still under copyright, even though most are out-of-print.

The last time I checked, World Library still publishes a piece from the Summit Series called "Let My Prayer Come Like Incense" (a portion of Psalm 141) by Robert Kreutz. It is set for S/B voices and organ, and is quite exquisite!
    Thanked by 2Heath SkirpR
  • Heath
    Kreutz' setting of Ps. 105 and 141:

http://www.wlp.jspaluch.com/1585.htm
  • Some other "fun facts" from our diocesan files about the Summit Series:
    In a memo to Pittsburgh Bishop John Wright dated June 15, 1965, Robert Snow, the Pittsburgh editor of the series, wrote:

“In a few instances some of the composers contacted felt the fee we offered them, $25.00, was too low. I have mentioned this fact to the publisher, Mr. Omer Westendorf, and in those cases in which we think the person in question is worth more, Mr. Westendorf has agreed to add an additional fee to the fee to be paid by the Diocese. He is most interested in the project and is willing to help finance it in this way, even at the risk of substantially reducing any profit he might make.”

Bishop Wright responded on July 3:

“I think it only too true that the fee we offer, $25.00 is too low but I feel, as apparently you do, that it is only proper that publishers enter into this matter also.”

In a November 21, 1966 memo to Bishop Wright, Robert Snow wrote:

“The first of the Summit Series items appeared only about 14 months ago and some of these are now in their second printing. I have also been informed that they are being widely used in various areas of the country. They are also being used a little more here, particularly by those musicians with some professional training. Those who worked under Fr. Rossini, however, show a certain reluctance to accept anything new.”
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've paged Jerry G via Facebook, perhaps he can shed some light on the back catalog here.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • chonakchonak
    "Those who worked under Fr. Rossini, however, show a certain reluctance to accept anything new."
    Plus ça change...
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Fr. Chepponis, that was very helpful! I'd like to get in touch with you in the coming weeks to see if there's any more info you have.

Adam, please keep me updated as to what Jerry says, as it was on my list of things to do, but I didn't get around to that point yet in my research.

I did my doctoral work cataloging J.W. Jenkins' choral music, and so I spent a couple of summers going through his own personal music collection (now at Duquesne University). That's where I found his contributions to the Summit Series - I believe I have all of them, but I can't share them because they were copyrighted by World Library and not J.W. Jenkins. The octavos list various other works in the series by other composers. I'll try to compile those lists later today.

Curiously, though, I seem to recall coming across a letter in the collection (which I unfortunately didn't copy) from World Library to Jenkins dated in the early 1970s which presumably included the publishers proofs and basically said something to the effect of, "Since these are obsolete now, you can have them back, and we'd be happy if you'd like to write other stuff for us," but implying that it wasn't propers they were interested in.

I gathered later from my conversations with him, at that time he was not pleased with where the Church had gone musically and had already begun working with Protestant and Jewish congregations....
  • SkipR,

Glad to be of help. Send me a message through this forum (click on my name), and if there's anything else I can do to be of assistance, let me know.
  • AlanH
    I think I've seen a copy of the Arbogast in the WLP archive files - I did a presentation on the transitional years of Mass & Propers for the Notre Dame MSM program a few years ago. I'll run up and check today - Alan Hommerding
  • SkirpR, why not consider posting a few excerpts? Even if they're still under copyright, "fair use" allows you to show excerpts. Thanks!
  • brentmcw
    Andrew, There are multiple copies of the English Propers in the Chapel Music Library at St. Joe's. Going unused. Just saying. Be ethical.
  • ronkrisman
    Even if they're still under copyright, "fair use" allows you to show excerpts.

I am highly skeptical of this interpretation of fair use. Fair use, in musical criticism, may allow for quotations from copyrighted works, but an entire work? I think not.

Posting these copyrighted pieces from the ill-fated Summit Series is tantamount to saying, "Come get it. These are out of print. Perhaps you would like to photocopy them and use them with your choir."

Some have appealed to the "non-profit" and "for educational purposes" wording in the "fair use" doctrine. So let's say I'm teaching a class in form and analysis at a non-profit Catholic college. Does that make it OK for me to make photocopies of Michael Torke's Javelin, for discussion in the class? No, it does not. What you do is get the college bookstore to order a sufficient number of copies of the pocket score.
  • Even if they're still under copyright, "fair use" allows you to show excerpts.

I am highly skeptical of this interpretation of fair use. Fair use, in musical criticism, may allow for quotations from copyrighted works, but an entire work? I think not.

I'm not really sure how I can be more clear in what I said. Let me try.

I said, at 10:25am, verbatim:

SkirpR, why not consider posting a few excerpts? Even if they're still under copyright, "fair use" allows you to show excerpts. Thanks!
  • ronkrisman
    No, when it has already been stated that the Summit Series contains 171 separate pieces, "a few excerpts" will be understood by most people to mean a few of the pieces from the entire collection. For clarity, you should have said "a few excepts from one or a few of them."
  • chonakchonak
    "a few excerpts" will be understood by most people to mean a few of the pieces from the entire collection.
    Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Perhaps most people would take it to refer to a page here or there.

In any case, there's a note in the forum etiquette rules against quibbling over copyright. Let's apply that here. If anybody thinks they see a violation after the fact, he or she can let me know.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    First....
    PoJo, as he specified, originally specified excerpts. Even under a strict interpretation of Fair Use, that would be acceptable.

MOREOVER...

It should be noted that there is no such thing as a strict interpretation of Fair Use.

This is a big deal here, because the constant pretension that (for example) a copyrighted hymn-text cannot be reprinted in full for the purpose of criticism is somewhat ridiculous.

The four-fold Fair Use test (purpose of the use, nature of the work, amount of the whole, impact on the market) is not a bright-line in any reasonable sense. No guideline is specified for any of four considerations (such as how much is too much, for example), nor is there any specific indication that all four must be "met" (since there's nothing to meet), nor is there any indication that one or another is more important than the rest.

A good argument could be made that posting an ENTIRE copy of one of these works meets three of the four criteria so overwhelmingly that this supersedes the "amount of the total" consideration:

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    No one is attempting to sell anything, or make a bunch of copies in order to avoid buying anything, nor attempting to take credit for the work of someone else. The purpose of the use is non-commercial, scholarly, and in good faith.
    the nature of the copyrighted work;
    Nobody seems to know what this means, since apparently every gosh-darn thing qualifies for insane protectionism. But if it means anything at all, I should think that works composed for a non-profit/religious context and/or in the tradition of serious art music (as opposed to commercially-driven creative works) would be in keeping with the spirit of Fair Use.
    the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
    This is the one I'm ignoring for the moment. Although, if the series as a whole is copyrighted, even an entire work within it could be considered a "portion."
    the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
    Since the work is no longer in print, the effect on the market is nill. In fact, a good argument could be made (I would make it) that any use would actually have a positive impact on the potential market, because now at least people have heard of the work, seen it, and may want to obtain it in the future.

Fair Use is a matter of DISCERNMENT, not a matter of legalism, and the intentions of the User do enter into it. Also, there are no copyright police. Charges of Infringement can only be brought by the copyright holder, and no sane or charitable publisher of Christian music is going to attack an obviously good-faith Fair Use attempt. If the copyright holder feels that the usage is not "Fair," they can issue a take-down notice. Only if that notice is ignored or defied by the forum here (the user or the moderators), would an actual defense based on an interpretation of Fair Use be needed.
  • Andrew Motyka
    Andrew, There are multiple copies of the English Propers in the Chapel Music Library at St. Joe's. Going unused. Just saying. Be ethical.

I'm not sure I understand. I'm not suggesting anything unethical.

I didn't suggest anything at all.
  • AlanH
    As far as I can tell, this book is still under WLP copyright - I find nothing in the product file or Paul Arbogast's contract file indicating the copyright was returned to him or the diocese of Covington.
    The book was published in the John XXIII, not the Summit, Series.
    He left the priesthood in the mid-1980s . . . about 20-30 years after his heyday as a published arranger/author (he wrote some organ accompaniments, but does not seem to have published original works). Alan Hommerding
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    And for the record I have in my possession only the following works from the Summit Series, all by Joseph Willcox Jenkins (opus numbers are his), acquired as part of my doctoral research on his choral music (sacred and secular):

-- all are in octavo form published by WLP/Apogee unless otherwise noted --

Op. 52 - 18th Sunday after Pentecost (Gradual & Alleluia)

Op. 53 - 4th Sunday of Lent (Gradual & Tract)

Op. 55 - Votive Mass for Unity & Votive Mass for Peace (Gradual, Alleluia & Tract)

Op. 57 - Trinity Sunday (Gradual & Alleluia)

Op. 58 - Votive Mass for the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Gradual, Alleluia, Double Alleluia & Tract)

Op. 59 - Votive Mass of the Blessed Sacrament (Gradual, Alleluia, Tract & Paschal Alleluia)

Op. 65 - Feast of St. Joan of Arc (Gradual & Alleluia)*

Op. 66 - [Septuagesima Sunday] A Stronghold in Times of Distress (Gradual & Tract)**

Op. 67 - Nuptial Mass (Gradual, Alleluia & Tract)

Op. 68 - Feast of the Most Precious Blood (Gradual & Alleluia)***

* I do not have the octavo for this, only manuscript. There is no copyright notice and it is unclear whether this was part of the Summit Series. The existence of brass parts seem to indicate otherwise, at least compared with Jenkins' other work for this series.

** Octavo. "Septuagesima Sunday" is not printed on the music as with the other works' liturgical use, but that indeed is what the propers contained are for. Composition date unknown, imprimatur given September 6, 1967, but not published until 1970. The "Summit Series, Propers of the Mass" is now curiously renamed on the octavo, "Summit Series of Sacred Anthems."

*** Also manuscript, no octavo in my possession, but copyright notice for WLP written in Jenkins' hand.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    When I first posted this collection, I wrote everyone I could find to see if anyone had any objections to posting it. It is obviously a very important document. No one emerged who would even offer a legal claim. So I put it up and that was the end of the story.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Oh, plus I wrote about 5 articles about this at the time. This was some 5 years ago -- long before the current outpouring of English propers.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Steve QSteve Q
    I recently went through some old files at my church and found a series of 4 volumes called "Propers of Sundays and Major Feasts" by Rev. Joseph Roff. They are settings in English that cover the whole liturgical year and are arranged for unison, SA, TB or SATB. It was published by GIA copyright 1964. When I Google searched it, I found only a bio for Fr. Roff on GIA's web site here: http://www.giamusic.com/bios/roff_joseph.cfm.

Another man ahead of his time?
  • Steve Q, would you consider posting a few excerpts? Thanks!
  • Steve QSteve Q
    Are you trying to get me in trouble?
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton