Life Teen Masses (Jeffrey Tucker's article)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Somehow I can't post a comment on Mr. Tucker's article on the Chant Cafe. I don't think it's too long since there's another comment already there that's longer, but it's such a timely topic that I can't resist wading in anyway. Hope that's okay.

We talk about this subject often and living in a household of eclectic musical tastes, our six kids are already familiar with the concept of inappropriate vs appropriate music, and even though they might belt out Sondheim musicals or crank out Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on their guitars on Saturday night with their friends, they are quite happy singing Gregorian chant and polyphony at the Latin Mass on Sunday morning and are very uncomfortable (shocked and embarrassed is more like it) with rock music at Mass when they encounter it.

In other words, just as they've learned early on that acid rock, rap and vulgar lyrics aren't appropriate in a family environment, they are able to grasp by extension (and this isn't rocket science) that there are certain types of music that just aren't appropriate in a "church" setting.

I noticed in his article that Fr. Schreiner doesn't mention pre-conciliar liturgical documents which is a shame since the Catholic Church pretty much hashed out this whole issue of sacred vs profane music long ago.

Pope Benedict XIV in 1749 issued a major encyclical, Annus qui hunc,, which addresses what was then a subject of intense debate: what type of music should be allowed in the liturgy? Some quotes:

St. Nicetius: Sacred music should "show you are true Christians; it should not be like that which is heard at the theatre, but should produce in you sorrow for sin" and "should excite the faithful to devotion." Interestingly enough, the consensus was that music that is overly "rhythmical" or "broken up with a swing" should be avoided along with music that "interests us and stirs our curiosity, but in reality we neglect devotion."

The Council of Cambrai, in 1565: "What must therefore be sung in choir is destined to instruct the faithful; it must therefore be sung in such a manner as to be understood by the mind."

Maybe the most concise and helpful recommendation (Council of Milan, 1565): "profane airs must not be sung . . . guttural sounds must not take the place of labial ones, never must it have a passionate character. Let chant and music be serious, devout, clear, suitable to God's house and to divine praise, executed in such a manner that those who to it understand the words and are moved to devotion."

Really amazing how pertinent and eminently reasonable those words from five centuries ago are today.
  • Thank you so much for posting. The only problem I can foresee from my congregation, for one, is that "it's so old". Most people know little of history, let alone music and church history. Perhaps if they did, there wouldn't be as many complaints about the "old" music. Music, in my opinion, is never "old". If that were the case, then our children taking piano lessons should steer away from Mozart, Chopin and the other Great Composers in their study.

We do not have a Life Teen mass at our parish, but I work at another parish school that does and I've been asked to help out. While my teeth are grinding hard and my heart is flipping, I don't have any recourse but to do as I've been commissioned. I need the money. I only pray that the Lord will guide me elsewhere in the near future because I don't know how long I will be able to handle it.
  • Joncas, Haugen, Schutte, Landry: old

Palestrina, Victoria, Tallis, Byrd: timeless
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Another, perhaps more effective (if perhaps less ultimately relevant) argument comes from the many examples I have heard of chant and polyphony being employed at LifeTeen (or other teen-centric) Masses, much to the delight of the youth.

I specifically remember Tucker describing such an occasion, and I'm pretty sure I've heard others as well. Perhaps a compilation is in order.

It should be emphasized that Praise and Worship Life Teen Awesomeness (ohmygoditssoawesome!) has not, as far as I can tell, displaced Gregorian Chant in any of the places where it is occurring. It has displaced Catholic pseudo-folk (The Habitual Music of the Roman Rite). If the choice is "OCP Music" (you know what I mean) and "Spirit and Song Vol. 2" (yes, that was a joke), I don't know that LifeTeen's P&W stylings are the wrong way to go. And if the choice is between LTP&W and Four Random Hymns Played Slowly On A Spinet, I am SURE that P&W is a better choice.

If I was asked to setup a new LifeTeen Mass, I would strongly and roundly object to the whole concept. However, if I was asked to work with an existing one- I would definitely not turn down the opportunity. You never know what good you can do places. (You have to bloom where you're planted; otherwise the robots will take your job.)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It should be emphasized that Praise and Worship Life Teen Awesomeness (ohmygoditssoawesome!) has not, as far as I can tell, displaced Gregorian Chant in any of the places where it is occurring.

Well, that's somewhat reassuring anyway. I've heard the Praise and Worship Team that performs for diocesan youth events here and they do Tantum Ergo and other chant numbers with their guitars and bongo drums. I guess you've got to start someplace and at least it's better than "Cry, Alice" or "Sunshine On My Shoulders."

Musicteacher56, I would say if you're in a position to influence the music choices with a LifeTeen group that would be very much worth your while. It may take some finesse and a great deal of patience, but if you could introduce better music who knows where it might lead in the end. You never know until you try.
  • redsox1
    Don't discount the use of the Tate/Macek (GIA) and Psallite (LitPress) contemporary settings of the Propers (or at least some of them in the case of Tate/Macek.) While not chant and polyphony, these resources can help steer things in the right direction. I'm not as familiar with the Tate/Macek settings as I am with Psallite. I used Psallite with some high schoolers for a more youth-oriented Mass and they really liked it.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The aspect I find very commendable about Macek/Tate (Ken's an old friend) is that they employ a sort of progressive or variable orchestrations and voicings for their antiphons and verses. It's not new, Berthier/et al more or less had to with Taize, but in addition to providing groups of all "persuasions/endowments" options, it also amplifies the processionals as the sanctuary and altar are approached.
    These aren't CMAA typical settings, but demonstrate a renewed interest that is carefully then wrought.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Our LifeTeen Mass has a chanted Ordinary (Missal Chants / Ostrowski / Iubilate Deo), chanted Psalm (Oost-Zinner, Aristotle or Bartlett) and chanted Alleluia (from the Simplex). Often a chanted Communio from the Gradual or SEP.

Oh.. and 4 P&W songs.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Matthewj, that's definitely a step in the right direction, and I'll bet the kids take to the chant like ducks to water.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    MatthewJ, isn't that a little like oil & water? Orange juice & toothpaste? A fancy steak dinner complemented with vending machine snacks?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It's very odd, yes. Especially when the priest gets to the altar and we finish our rocking opening song to be greeted by a chanted sign of the cross. The contrast takes my breath away every week.

But what is better? A full rock Mass? Or a chanted Mass with rock music?

I don't have the answer to that question.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Mark M.
  • jpal
    Like the old saying goes, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the...confused.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's quite a dilemma, I agree. Is authentic liturgical reform going to require decades of "hybrid" (half rock/half chant) Masses before the correct formula can be realized?

Speaking for myself, I'm weary of the "soprassedere" approach of "wait and see," "let's take this one baby step at a time" but that seems to be almost universal policy.

I always find it ironic that the Bugnini reforms became the norm over night, semper, ubique et ab omnibus, and yet it will probably take a full century before the real liturgical movement as described in De musica sacra et divina liturgia can resume its momentum.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I always find it ironic that the Bugnini reforms became the norm over night, semper, ubique et ab omnibus, and yet it will probably take a full century before the real liturgical movement as described in De musica sacra et divina liturgia can resume its momentum.

Julie, tho' I think your premise as stated is heavily exaggerated and, as sympathetic to your attribution, can't be laid solely at the Abp.'s feet, your conclusion is likely quite accurate, and that's pretty much how the church clock works as I understand it.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • GavinGavin
    I think the advantage of MatthewJ's approach is that the chanted Mass makes clear that the Mass is, properly, chanted. It is clearly "songs added to Mass", but yet there can be no mistake that the chant is part of the Mass in a way that the rock music is not.

"Speaking for myself, I'm weary of the "soprassedere" approach of "wait and see," "let's take this one baby step at a time" but that seems to be almost universal policy."

I'm with you on this Julie.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • GavinGavin
    The point which must be hammered home in all of this is LifeTeen's orthodoxy and commitment to Catholicism. This is no small deal. Any discussion of reform should take note of this reality.

It reminds me of how my home church recently had a Matt Maher concert. My sister attended, herself a Catholic now practicing Pentecostalism with her husband, who also attended. The concert, to my displeasure, was held in the church with the performers in the altar area.

But! I guess at one point in the concert, Matt announced that they will have Benediction and Adoration. The concert paused while the priest exposed the Sacrament, and all present were instructed to kneel, and silence was kept for some time before Benediction, with the proper hymns, and then the resumption of the concert. My sister was deeply moved by the experience, and returned to Mass the following Sunday. Her husband, who was brought up in a household in which Catholics were referred to as drunks and idolators, was similarly moved by the experience - one as far from anything he previously conceived of as Christian worship as possible!

We can say what we will about his music, but I don't think we can argue with either the intention or results. I think the same is true of LifeTeen. Yes, they ABSOLUTELY must embrace a conception of music as ritualistic rather than relevant. But let's not sell short what good they are doing. (Not that anyone seemed to be doing so)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • kevinfkevinf
    But there was a time when Lifeteen was seen as one of the principal abusers of liturgical propriety. They had their own dismissal formulas, teens were invited to gather with the priest around the altar during the anaphora (this still happens in some places I know) and other interesting practices were used. The principal priest in the movement left the Church to form his own community.
    The fallout still exists in many places regarding Lifeteen and while I hear your good commentary, I still find the movement suspect. I grant the possibility that it has evolved, but the "mecca" of LT in Atlanta might as well be an evangelical protestant mega-church.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Scott_WScott_W
    When I was a Religious Ed. director at a previous parish, my priest was looking for an alternative to Crossroads which apparently was sheep-stealing our youth in our area. LifeTeen got the nod, but if I had to do it all over again, I would find something else. Yes, the material is doctrinally sound, and there is emphasis on the Eucharist, but in my experience it was like the salesman's "foot in the door" to get you on their main product, which is implementing a LifeTeen Mass. A Mass in which the model was very much what you can imagine when you think of liturgy that panders to youth.

Now, some LT apologists object that no one is forced to have a LifeTeen Mass or that such a liturgy has to be of a LifeTeen "style" (if you can get them to admit that such a thing exists). Technically that is correct, but in practice it is like the German annexation of Austria. That is to say: push the boundaries until someone protests; or as one of my friends put it: it's a "please don't eat the daisies" approach to liturgy.