Batastini Alleluia
  • musicman923
    Hi Eveyone,

I'm looking for a copy of the gospel acclamation and verse by Batastini. It's in 6/8 time and in D major. I tried to find it in th RitualSong hymnal but it's not in there.
    I own a copy of the gospel acclamations books published by GIA, but I don't have that book in front of me to check it.

Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks!
  • Bobby Bolin
    Is this the one you are talking about? It's in 3/8, not 6/8. They have it credited to Norah Duncan in Worship IV but this bulletin from Notre Dame has it credited to Batastini.
  • ronkrisman
    The one in the Notre Dame bulletin definitely is by Norah Duncan IV. It is no. 460 in the 1987 Lead Me, Guide Me hymnal, and it's no. 216 in the 2012 Lead Me, Guide Me-second edition hymnal. It's also included in Worship IV, no. 327.
  • musicman923
    Thank You both! I realized after my original post that the time sig was 3/8 and not 6/8. I was working off of memory! Sorry for that.

Ron, BSH at NDU used your translation of I Received the Living God verses a couple of weeks ago! Good job with the new texts! What made you want to change them?
  • ronkrisman
    musicman923,
    Didn't I answer your question on May 15 - in the discussion entitled Herman G Stuempfle hymn texts? I even think it was in response to a comment you had made the previous day!

Well, the short answer is that over the years GIA had been asked a number of times for more verses for this hymn. When they come into possession of the original French text, they decided the time was right to provide the additional English verses. I had already translated the four English verses by "anonymous" into Spanish. So GIA asked me to make a new translation from the French into both Spanish and English.
  • musicman923
    Ron,

After checking the poat you mentioned it was someone else with a music-themed username on this forum. This is the first time I've every had the chance to chat with you.

I music direct for a French parish. Would you be able to send me your French translations for I Receive? I would appreciate it!
  • ronkrisman
    Sorry about the mistaken identity.

I Receive the Living God was written in French. Entitled “J’ai reçu le Dieu vivant,” it has a text by Bernard Geoffroy, b. 1946, and music by Dom Clément Jacob, OSB, 1906-1977.

You may find the French text here:
    http://www.saintpierredeniveadour.fr/index.php/liturgie/des-chants-en-francais/46-d-communion/1603-d-29-jai-recu-le-dieu-vivant

The tune we use in the USA has been altered from Father Jacob’s original. You can hear that original tune on a poorly recorded YouTube video at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnlWzHxFHU

That being said, the French text referred to above works fine with the altered tune sung in the USA.

You can get a lot more info about Fr. Jacob by googling: Dom Clément Jacob
    I especially appreciate what he wrote in Satie Remembered

Also check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxime_Jacob

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • musicman923
    Thank You for all that info. I will be looking into it this afternoon.

Where can I find the verses for the Norah Duncan IV gospel acclamation? I don't own the worship IV accompaniment books cause we don't have it at my parish.

Thanks so much!
  • GavinGavin
    I always write out the verses to an appropriate psalm tone.
  • Bobby Bolin
    That's all that they give you in Worship IV is a tone for the verses.
  • Bobby Bolin
    I believe you can also find it here: http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=4501
  • musicman923
    Where do I find this verse tone? I'm looking at my worship IV hymnal for that gospel acclamation and don't see anything underneath it? I'm clearly looking in the wrong place!

• Aaron
    Musicman, are you looking in a choir edition or pew? Usually they only have these tones for the verses in the choir edition.
  • musicman923
    Ohh. No wonder I can't find it! I only own a pew edition. I don't own a choir or accompaniment for worship IV.