Paul Weber leaves Franciscan?
  • What I heard of this recording sounds amazing:

http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/05/the-office-of-compline-for-fifth-sunday.html

I am very sad to learn that Paul Weber is leaving Franciscan. I know several people attending that college next year.
  • Kathy
    Wasn't it said here that the music department is closing? I may have misread or could be misremembering, but that is big news for young musicians attending next year.
  • BenBen
    I understand that the schola there run by Paul Weber sings for the EF Masses on campus...I wonder if that is going by the wayside as well.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised. I visited their campus, and even at the daily Masses, it was fairly poor, liturgically speaking.

Sad.
  • chonakchonak
    An alumna recently passed along the rumor (April 18, 2013) that the Sacred Music major is ending after next year.

If I understand right, the local EF Masses have nearly all been at a parish downtown.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, but he comes to St. Martin of Tours in Louisville, the parish with a very fine music tradition and liturgies in the OF and EF. A great place and we are happy for him..
  • He is going to LOVE his new parish, St. Martin of Tours in Louisville. EF and OF, phenomenal organ, acoustics, skilled choir members, exemplary pastor. So happy for my mother and all the other parishioners there. : )
  • CharlesW
    Just checked out the church website. I am IMPRESSED with both building and organ.

I don't know what is going on at Franciscan. I know a young lady who wants to study music there, but that all seems to be falling apart. My own observation has been that Franciscan can never really make up its mind what it wants to be.
  • BenBen
    When I saw this, it was a good confirmation of my decision not to attend there, even though I had been accepted (for a non-music major) and initially wanted to. It's really sad.
  • He is going to LOVE his new parish, St. Martin of Tours in Louisville. EF and OF, phenomenal organ, acoustics, skilled choir members, exemplary pastor. So happy for my mother and all the other parishioners there. : )

I promised I wouldn't write ANY MORE on Views from the Choir Loft about my little "hear a word, see it in 24 hours phenomenon." I have already written too much about this.

But how can I refrain when I read your post above, then IMMEDIATELY see this on my computer:

???????
  • kevinfkevinf
    Great place, St. Martin's. The former music director is good too. He did not leave there in anger or enmity.
    Thanked by 1Hilary Cesare
  • chonakchonak
    Well, congratulations to Paul on taking up the new post; sympathies to the many at Steubenville who will miss him and his work there!

(I hope folks won't mind if I close the thread; talking about a fellow member's job change seems a bit out of place.)
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions