Matthew Meloche Propers
  • hello!

I've been unable to find information about Matthew Meloche Propers

can somebody help?

Are there EXAMPLES online?
  • Kathy
    I understand that they can be approximated by singing RECTO TONO.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Its entirely a joke.

Please go back to your day to day Sacred Music Related Activities.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • If it's a joke, how can it be sold on LULU for $19.95 ?
  • BenBen
    It's a well done joke! Matthew Meloche (aka, matthewj), has been perpetuating this massive joke about recto tono propers, hymns, and ordinaries with Adam Wood. He just stepped up the joke by one level by putting it on lulu.
  • Kathy
    I need you to print it spiral bound and large print please. I only want one. Ok thanks bye.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    Seriously, Matthew. What is in that 30 pages on lulu? I'd love to see what you have.
  • Somebody who knows the Divine Office can correct me if I'm wrong, but this might not be as big a joke as some folks think ... isn't it true that massive sections of Matins are sung RECTO TONO ? These are, indeed, sold in books.

Furthermore, in all the old chant accompaniment books, there are "reductions" (recto tono) with chords: I'm thinking of Schwann 1917, the Franz X. Mathias collections, etc.

Sorry if I am taking this too seriously !
  • BenBen
    Sorry if I am taking this too seriously !

Yep, you are :D
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I think, rather, that massive sections of Matins MAY be sung recto tono, not that they necessarily ARE sung that way. There are chants for the antiphons, responsories, blessings, and absolutions, and I think the lessons are sung to the usual tones.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    As the author of said propers, I assure you that this is entirely a joke. The expensive price tag is to dissuade people from buying said joke.

In the pages not included in the preview there are the propers, ordinary, and four hymns set to humorous keys, recto tono.
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • Andrew Motyka
    In the pages not included in the preview there are the propers, ordinary, and four hymns set to humerus keys, recto tono.

I refuse to arm myself with this collection until it is complete with radial and ulnar keys.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor Heath
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm sorry. I only posted this on Wood's facebook - primarily because I was afraid of a thread like this.... otherwise I'd have begun advertising this faux-propers book everywhere.

Does anyone ACTUALLY believe there is a need for NOTATED propers set RECTO TONO?
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • chonakchonak
    Can I get permission to write an accompaniment edition?
  • GavinGavin
    Jeff, you must by 5 copies to really understand the collection. No less.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This isn't included in the Advent volume (it's from the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time). It's the Jubilus from the Alleluia. It should give you an idea of the seriousness of this project. (Which I take very seriously.)

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What kind of weed incense have you been putting in your thurifer? I thought I heard someone practicing recto tono organum just a little while ago ... at a diminished fifth and augmented fourth. The result was far from perfect. :(
  • Adam Bartlett
    I would like an autographed copy of this book. How much will that run?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I would like an autographed copy of this book. How much will that run?

whatever meloche is charging for that I'll beat (by charging more!)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've just come across a manuscript from the S.F.M. Codex, and it seems to be an ancient form of Recto Tono chant notation. Here's the Introit for the first Sunday of Advent:

.- -.. - . .-.. . ...- .- ...- .. .- -. .. -- .- -- -- . .- -- ---... -.. . ..- ... -- . ..- ... .. -. - . -.-. --- -. ..-. .. -.. --- --..-- -. --- -. . .-. ..- -... . ... -.-. .- -- ---... .. .-. .-. .. -.. . .- -. - -- . .. -. .. -- .. -.-. .. -- . .. ---... . - . -. .. -- ..- -. .. ...- . .-. ... .. --.- ..- .. - . . -..- ... .--. . -.-. - .- -. - --..-- -. --- -. -.-. --- -. ..-. ..- -. -.. . -. - ..- .-. .-.-.-

The manuscript bears the inscription: .-- .... .- - .... .- - .... --. --- -.. .-- .-. --- ..- --. .... - ..--.. with the translation: What hath God wrought?

• melofluentmelofluent
    Matthew's been a scamp for decades, way back to his days on Resource Pub. Forum.
    MJM, remember all the nutjobs that used to post there? Oh, wait.....that would be me.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The price for an autographed copy is on the merchandise page, which is viewable on the preview on Lulu.