The Hard Cost of Disposable Missals (Missalettes)
  • Adam Bartlett
    Hello Friends,

I'm doing some market research on the annual costs to parishes for disposable missals for the pews. OCP, WLP and even GIA have their own offerings with slightly different pricing structures, etc. Some are issued quarterly, some three times a year, some annually.

I'm curious to know: If you subscribe to any of these services, what is your annual cost, both of the subscription itself, and of shipping?

You cannot find information on shipping charges online anywhere, and if you are getting 500+ missalettes shipped across the country four times a year this cannot be cheap!

How much do you budget for these each year? How much are you paying in shipping? What other costs are incurred that are not immediately apparent?

I'm just curious to know your experience.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Media mail is very, very....like the misalletes, cheap.
  • TCJ
    I estimated once that my parish was once spending roughly $1,800 per year on OCP prior to . Obtaining hardbound hymnals (which they eventually did) could have been done for about $5,000. When put that way, "saving money" on throwaways suddenly doesn't seem so good.
  • francis
    i believe we were spending about 5k a year for missalettes. not sure if that included the shipping however. we had wlp - bilingual edition. we refreshed the pew either three or four times a year, not sure which. i would estimate we had about 500 copies.
  • TCJ
    I forgot to mention, but if you go to OCP's website and look under subscriptions, they'll tell you their prices. I thought they mentioned something about shipping, but I could be mistaken.
  • donr
    Our parish is spending about $500 every quarter, then they throw the word of God in the trash. When I brought it to their attention that we could save money by purchasing a 3 year hard cover they moved the missals out of the choir budget and lowered the budget by a little more than the missal cost (around $2500).
    I will try to find out what they are spending.

Remember that in your research you can not simply remove the missals, you will need to figure on who many years a 3 year missal will last compared to the money and you need to subtract the cost of copied hand outs if that starts after the removal of the throw-aways.
  • hartleymartin
    I've bought a harper-collins Sunday Missal, which contains the readings, psalms, missal antiphons, etc three-year cycle of Sundays.

They are $21 each from the book depository.

Then you can have a separate hymnal, such as the St Edmund Campion Missal/Hymnal, which costs about $26 per copy if you buy 100 or more. Then you have your missalettes for both OF and EF masses and hymns taken care of, for a one-off purchase of $4,700 plus shipping.

If you don't have EF masses in your parish then you cuold purchase the Vatican II Hymnal which is $19 each ($15@ for more than 100) plus shipping. You could have your Sunday readings and hymns taken care of for $3,600 plus shipping. And these will last you for at least 10 years.

(Prices assume purchasing 100 of each the missalettes and the hymnals - adjust according for the needs of your parish church.)

You could either have them in the pews, or have attendants (ushers/porters/greeters) at the doors handing them out as the congregation enters.

I also own a copy of the weekday missal. You can get away with fewer copies of these since there are usually much fewer people attending weekday masses than sunday masses.
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • hartleymartin
    Just to give you an idea, the Harper-Collins Sunday Missal is 7"x5" and 1-1/4" thick.

The weekday missal is 2-1/4" thick, but otherwise the same size.

You might have a hymn board, which would read:

SUNDAY 14C
    Mass: Choir
    Entrance: 110
    Offertory: Choir
    Communion: 348

So:
    Sunday 14C indicates 14th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year C
    Mass Ordinary will be sung by the choir
    Entrance Hymn no. 110
    Offertory will be sung by the choir:
    Communion Hymn no. 348

(presumably after the choir have sung a little bit of the SEP Communion Chant, and it may be preferable to sing one of the seven ad libitum chants regularly if the congregation are chant-resistant)

Offertory: Choir indicates that the Choir will sing a Motet.

Another option is to print a little leaflet each week, which will include the Parish notices, and details of what hymns will be sung that Sunday.
  • hartleymartin
    Also, it would be quite common for special occasions such as Christmas and Easter to produce a liturgy booklet. This is helpful when you may have favourite hymns in the parish that don't appear in your hymnal.
  • I agree with Hartley that worship aids would certainly help during big holidays. In my parish, having missalettes would be a waste of money. Some people have purchased the Sunday Missal for their own use and they have become popular. When we changed to hard-backed hymnals (St. Michael), the cost of the hymnals was big, but the future cost went down.
  • Ally
    Hi Adam,
    We purchase the yearly disposable missal from OCP...

(disclaimer: Adam, I know you know my situation, but for others, this is not an issue I necessarily can change at this time, though I am campaigning for a hard-cover. The upfront cost is scaring some people, especially since last year we just put in the new organ console/rewired the pipes, and did a separate capital campaign for other parish issues).

Anyways, the cost this past year for 550 of these was $2915 and the shipping (one time) was $401.50. We may be ordering more next year, since we have over 600 people at each Mass. I have about $3600 budgeted.

We used to ALSO buy the "Seasonal Missalette", but then we switched to Breaking Bread with readings...at least it is only one thing to replace.

Here is one hidden cost I can think of: throughout the course of a year, with 3 packed Masses a weekend plus weekdays, the flimsy covers of these books means that they get ripped and folded and who knows what (I don't know why people have to play with them, grr). We had a woman donate $600 to buy clear plastic covers for the books that didn't have them. I had to supplement it with another $200 or $300 (can't find the figure at the moment) purchase of these covers. And some of those need to be replaced every year TOO. (Why people like to pull them apart is beyond me!!) We purchase the cheapest of these covers, you can get "nicer" ones, but they don't actually seem to last any longer (instead of clear plastic, so you can see the ahem lovely cover art, you can buy colored plastic, but you can't tuck both covers of the book into these, the spine breaks. I learned this at another parish.)

The upside to this subscription is that we get a set of accompaniments free when that book is revised (every 3 years I think), and some copies of the cantor book that goes with it (Respond and Acclaim). And any new accompaniments that come out (a supplement pack). There is also a guitar set that comes with it (please don't comment) and a solo instruments set (which is nice, we use with violins quite often). On the downside, you need to buy extra Respond and Acclaim if you want all 12 of your cantors to have one, and if you need extra accompaniment books you buy them.

There is also the issue of some of the songs in BB don't have the music for the verses in there...so if you want your choir or cantor to sing them, you need to buy that octavo, though they may be in the accompaniment book. We do own the newest edition of Choral Praise, so the verses are in there, for most things... Except that CP doesn't have parts for all the music in BB (even though I know choral settings exist! I don't get it!!) which is frustrating for both the choir and myself. So sometimes you would STILL have to buy a separate set of pieces, which at 25-30 choir members is not cheap! Which means you can't sing everything in a book you paid for to be in the pews.

I guess I have a strong opinion on this, since this particular book has been used at every parish I've worked at so far (wow).

Hope that helps!!!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yes, I too would prefer a hardcover hymnal. These can easily last you 10 years, but you can stretch them if you absolutely have to (we're doing that right now) to 15-20. I personally don't like the Missalettes. It's convenient to have all the readings in one place, but the way the publishers omit certain hymns from the Music Issue or Breaking Bread, or whatever so that they can put them in the Missalette irritates me. I am fond of certain classic hymns like "Holy, Holy, Holy!" but it isn't in the Music Issue from OCP: you have to hope it's in the Missalette.

We also have Choral Praise, but in our small church, it often isn't worth having the choir sing in parts, because the assembly sings so well anyway and you can't hear the parts (well, you can if you're really listening, but how many parishioners really listen to the choir while they're singing?). We use Choral Praise mostly for the choir songs during the ablutions, when they sing by themselves.
  • hartleymartin
    You may also consider the option of making the hand missals available for purchase at the parish piety shop. $21 each is fairly cheap for a book, which contains the entire 3-year cycle of readings for Sundays.

Finding a good hymnal is always difficult. I've never found a single volume which has everything that I would want in a hymnal. Vatican II and St Edmund Campion are very good, as are the Adoremus and several other hymnals, but they never have all the repertoire that I want. I suppose the trouble is that hymnals have to try and cater for a wide variety of demands and are never perfect.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    We also have Choral Praise, but in our small church, it often isn't worth having the choir sing in parts, because the assembly sings so well anyway and you can't hear the parts

I disagree with your premise completely.

The better your congregation sings, the more you should move the choir to SATB singing, since you don't have to shout the melody for the people to follow.

Particularly if you have a small building and a small assembly, if the melody is strong in the congregation you can sing a choir harmonization and, in the inner verses of a hymn, pick the volume up on the non-melody parts and back the organ way off (or drop out completely). It's wonderful.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • hartleymartin
    I've done that with congregational singing where I pulled the organ back to 8' stopped diapason and 4' flute. I was particularly glad, because I could hear the congregation all singing the hymn verse of "By All Your Saints Still Striving" that I wrote for St Francis Xavier.
  • Blaise
    About how much money would it cost to put the hymns in the bulletin? That way you can spend less money on hymnals.
  • Ally
    Adam Wood - I agree completely with your comment about SATB.
    That's what we do! It is wonderful. The choir sings almost the entire Mass in parts...and that's why they are in it. They like the challenge. If I ask them to "just" sing melody on a hymn, for example, they complain. It has made them all better singers and readers.
  • Adam Bartlett
    Thank you all for your very helpful comments and feedback here. It is staggering to discover how much parishes are paying for throw-away products. My research seems to reflect that when parishes go instead with the Lumen Christi Missal the new permanent missals pay for themselves in about 2.5 years, and then there is 7.5 years (or more) of ZERO cost for the parish. Who wouldn't want that? More on this soon!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Fr. Jim, with true respect, I read the rationale two months ago in the periodical. There is nothing in W4 that would compel me, an eclectic guy, to try to sell it to my pastor. N.O.T.H.I.N.G.
    Y'all, including Bob B. (who kept the pre V2 fires ventilated) blew the integrity of W4 out of the waters with release of its titles, the revised texts, the Psalter and the lack of representation of chant Masses while maintaining "Gebrauchsmusick" settings along with a suspect lack of nod to Propers and allusionary settings minimalized, all of which prevented this independent reviewer to conclude that Ritualsongs 1 (which prob'ly won't be granted a second editon) remains still a better option for "status quo" parishes than even W4, Adoremus I/II.
    Y'all in Chicago and Portland (I guess Minnesota too, sorry Paul F.), may "feel" you're in touch wid da future, and you may well break even. But you guys are NOT the future. I wish I could be more gentile.
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe Adam could use a similar cost-calculation page on his website.

(Hey, Melo, you're Gentile enough already, nu?)
  • francis
    GIA is MIA
  • hartleymartin
    The trouble with printing the hymns in a liturgy leaflet or bulletin is that after a while, people only provide the words. I know that 90% of the congregation probably can't read music anyway, but it would be far better that the hymns with melody lines were at least provided. Another problem is that quite often, people doing up the bulletins are not musicians, and simply google the hymn lyrics, and copy-and-paste them. Then we discover that the lyrics are different or the verses are in a different order to those found in the music sheets used by the organist... (has happened to me too many times).

Whilst 90% of congregations can't really read music, most of them will get the idea (long notes, short notes, high notes, low notes) before long.

It may also depend on the general music program and practices within your parish. On days when I know that there will not be an offertory procession and no incense (weekday masses) I will often just play an organ interlude on a eucharistic hymn.

However, I believe in the use of hymnals. If there are a number of hymns which are popular in your parish but not found in the hymnal, it may be possible to produce a suppliment booklet which is pasted into the endpapers, or a seperate booklet all together.

I've even considered producing in-house publications for some chapels/churches.

• hcmusicguy
    My parish is finally breaking free from the OCP spell later this year. We are currently torn between Worship and Gather. Not at all a fan of the new, clumsily-written texts (see my post on the Stuempfele hymn texts) married to familiar tunes in Worship. Currently leaning toward Gather, and here's why: (1) The offering of traditional hymnody in Gather is pretty consistent from the previous editions, and IMO is solid, even if certain texts are "updated". (2) We will keep the bulk of our current repertoire (I'd love to go St. Michael or V2, or Collegeville if they'd ever get around to updating it, but would probably be chased out of town with torches and clubs if I moved in that direction too fast). (3) I'd rather have a well-rounded body of contemporary on hand, and supplement that with all the hymnody and chant that I want, most of which can be done completely FREE! To do so the other way around (traditional, supplemented with contemporary) would incur more substantial copyright fees. (4) The number of chant selections in Worship is not substantially larger than in Gather (the difference is fewer than probably 5, AIR) and certainly all said chants (and MANY more) are easily located elsewhere in my library or online GRATIS!

We will also be subscribing to Celebrating the Eucharist missalette for readings (Father still wants a periodical for those), which I truly believe is a very worthy resource as disposable publications go; much more user-friendly than anything by OCP, or even WLP. I was able to convince him to go with the "classic" edition which contains a small repertoire of hymns and songs (mostly traditional) in the back which, thankfully, stick with the more orthodox texts (Faith of our Fathers, anyone?).

That being said, if GIA had just taken Worship 3 and updated it for the revised Missal - I'd be on it in a HEARTBEAT!
  • chonakchonak
    Good observations there, hcmusicguy. And "Celebrating the Eucharist" is pretty decent as these publications go, though one thing bugs me about them: when they do modify texts in hymns, they often don't admit it: they don't add an "alt." notation by the author's name. But prescinding from that. . .
  • Mike R
    While I'm not as down on Worship IV as many on this forum, when I saw the changes made to "All Creatures of Our God and King" I have to admit I had a pretty extreme reaction. I hadn't looked at it before because the lack of "inclusivity" in it had never even occurred to me. That's really an unconscionable edit.

Those of you who work for the big publishers do realize that the Church has spoken out quite forcefully against vertical inclusive language, right? I mean, do you read those documents? And it isn't 1988 anymore; even among Catholic theological scholars the idea of vertical inclusive language is quickly becoming passe. You pretty much have to completely reject the theology of Blessed John Paul II (and thus the last 35 years of official Church teaching) to think that every instance of "him" to refer to God must be eradicated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard, I've been compared to many more obtuse origins than "gentile." Like the great Oakland Raider, Otis Sistrunk, I've been declared "from Mars." Others have likened me to Piltdown Man, a mutant from the 13th lost tribe of Israel, and other maternal origins that can't be printed here. Someone wrote a play about me, never read it: The Misanthrope. Is that "gentile?" Or "genteel?"
  • Carl DCarl D
    I understand how parishes can be caught in a shortage of cash on hand, which can make the cost of permanent hymnals prohibitive. But there's plenty of other industries which have solved this problem long ago.

If I'm spending $1000 a year on disposables, and the permanent hymnals cost $2500 as a one time expense, how about if someone just provides financing? $900 a year for three years, and then nothing after that until you have to get replacements. The extra $200 is more than enough to pay for the financing, and the benefit is that it's cheaper RIGHT NOW and EVERY YEAR.

All it takes is to hook up with a financing company. Shouldn't be hard, I'd think - they do it for furniture and darn near anything else.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Precisely, Father. It's a pure monetary arrangement, and interest rates are especially low these days.

I wonder how many parishes use payment plans already ---?
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    The trouble with printing the hymns in a liturgy leaflet or bulletin is that after a while, people only provide the words.

It is essential to print the entire hymn in 4 parts, in a weekly Mass Guide just as it appears in a quality hymnal. Otherwise musicians who can read can feel almost as insulted by the blind who do not have access to an order of the Mass in braille in not being truly welcome to fully participate in the true spirit of Vatican II.

The main objection is cost....the real reason for not doing it is laziness. Catholics for centuries HAD to go to Mass on Sunday. Protestants chipped away at the Catholic faith by being "easier" to be a Protestant than a Catholic...and by providing exactly what the complainers in the Catholic church wanted.

Devotional musical in the service instead of liuturgical, the local language instead of Latin, a bible in every house and every hand, a complete guide to each service handed to them when they entered the door....they invented full participation.

To save a few cents on copying and paper and using generic newsprint booklets with ink that comes off in your hands....is an insult and shows exactly how important most priests, bishops and cardinals think the average person in the pew is...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    If you're organised, you can actually re-use liturgy leaflets every three years. That is, assuming that you use the same hymns for the Sundays and you have the space to file them for so long. You would have to produce a few more of them each year since some will be taken by the congregation or tossed or squashed up.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Someone mentioned to me that parishes with a large number of funerals can sometimes approach funeral homes who will buy "advertising" on one of the front pages of a hymnal and buy the hymnals for the parish.

Has this happened for anyone else before?

I'm making calls this week to see if we can get thousands of Lumen Christi Missals without paying a penny.
    Thanked by 3Gavin chonak Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm making calls this week to see if we can get thousands of Lumen Christi Missals without paying a penny.

MJM, in all sincerity, let me know of strategy and outcome, ASAP.
  • hartleymartin
    Put a little "advertisement" in the endpapers saying "Kindly Donated by XYZ Funerals" and have a little graphic or logo. This would be a little more tasteful than an obvious advertisement for the business - the sort that one would put in the parish bulletin.
  • cjlansberg
    We are looking for a permanent hymnal that has the 3 years of readings in it. The pastor is very interested in the St. Augustine Hymnal published in Nashville. We 've ruled out Worship, but I thought OCP's Journeysongs might work. Any ideas?
    I also think that based on my observation, if we introduce a new sung Mass ordinary, it should be printed on pew cards, rather than have the assembly search through hymn books. I have never seen them look for the Mass setting unless it is on a special piece of paper.
  • We are looking for a permanent hymnal that has the 3 years of readings in it. The pastor is very interested in the St. Augustine Hymnal published in Nashville. We 've ruled out Worship, but I thought OCP's Journeysongs might work. Any ideas?

This book fits your criterion. It might be worth considering.
  • chonakchonak
    It might be worthwhile to get a music-only hymnal and a separate book with only the readings.

We had a discussion on the St Augustine Hymnal here.