Scrambling For Assistance For Infant Funeral
  • expeditus1
    I just received notification that a 3-day old baby (baptized and confirmed) died today, and it has been requested that I prepare the Extraordinary Form funeral music. Can someone provide me with assistance in figuring this out? What does it consist of? I know that on pages 173-179 (pdf, not actual pages) of the following link, there is the Ordo Sepeliendi Parvulos . http://laudatedominum.net/files/freddofrog.pdf Is this something that is supposed to be done, and where can I find the psalm notation in its entirety? Any other music suggestion? Mass of the Angels, I would suppose? Are there parts of the Ordinary that are not sung for an infant's funeral?

As you can tell from the multiplicity of questions above, I have every reason in the world to be humble (and scared). Yes, scared.....always. Sacred....scared. Hmmm, filled with a heaping abundance of sacred fear, that's what it is.

• So sorry about this untimely death; what a blessing that the baby was baptized. There is some material in the Liber Usualis (pp 1825-31) about the burial of very young children. You can find a pdf of the Liber on the CMAA website if you don't have one.

I tried to scan two page pages from Fr Fortescue's "Ceremonies of the Roman Rite," but couldn't upload it. For the Mass, the main point seems to be: If it is morning, either the Mass of the day or if the rubrics permit, a private votive Mass may be celebrated. I have heard that a votive Mass of the Angels may be used, but Fortescue doesn't mention that specifically. Hope this is helpful.
  • dad29
    Mass VIII (De Angelis) is the usual Ordinary for that occasion. The priest vests in white, NOT black or purple.

The quote from Fortescue: "...the Mass of the day, ...or a suitable votive Mass--not for the child, but for some other intention (e.g., in thanksgiving for the blessing conferred upon him, or to beg consolation for his parents) may be celebrated.

"There is no Absolution after the Mass; the Psalm Domini est terra is said or sung with the antiphon Hic accipiet. The rest of the ritual is as normal except that while the Pater Noster is said the priest sprinkles the coffin three times, crosswise before him. He does not go around it, nor is it incensed."

"[As the coffin leaves the church] the psalm Laudate Dominum de coelis is sung with the antiphon Iuvenes."
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • expeditus1
    Thank you very much for your assistance, David Sullivan and dad29. It sure beats wringing my hands. After I gathered my marbles together, and remembered that, yes, I do have a Liber, I found the pages you mentioned, David, for "The Burial of Very Young Children." Now here is my 7th frenzied question on the topic: For the psalms listed there, do subsequent verses follow the incipit, or do they begin on the dominant?
  • dad29
    Hmmm. IIRC, after the FIRST psalm-verse which uses the incipit, the rest of the verses begin on the dominant.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Please pray for the family of a 2 year old, baptized boy who fell ill on Tuesday, then died on Wednesday. As the funeral is Saturday, March 25, we'll be singing the Mass of the Annunciation. I just learned the little one's favorite naptime and bedtime hymn was Immaculate Mary.

It seems odd that I find myself in the position of searching for this advice, long after posting on this topic.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • expeditus1
    David, this wounded my heart with its poignant beauty. On her feast day, may Our Blessed Mother share her balm of tender sweetness with all of those who will be in attendance at this funeral for a little boy who was just beginning his love affair with Mary, here on earth. He now sings the most perfect strains of Immaculate Mary, and beseeches his Mother and Jesus to favor the family who taught him this precious love.