How do you sing a dotted punctum?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I've been going through Dr. Marier's very helpful book, A Gregorian Chant Master Class, but unfortunately I don't have the accompanying disc. He speaks about the dotted punctum which he says requires a mora vocis, or delay of the voice, which means it will be sung more softly on the second beat than the first. It would seem from his description that the voice must in a sense "fade away" on the second beat. I would imagine that this is different from a pressus or bistropha where the voice, as Dr. Marier says, increases on the second beat.

I'm sure there are many different methods of singing chant, but is this understanding of the dotted punctum fairly universal and does anyone know of an online video that demonstrates this and how to sing the other neums? If necessary, I'll buy the disc, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks very much for any input!
  • Carl DCarl D
    Y'know, I was thinking about starting a similar discussion on the differences between a dotted punctum, punctum with horizontal episema, and bistropha. As I get deeper into Gregorian Chant, I'm starting to appreciate more of the subtleties. But I've seen different descriptions from various books and resources.

But I'll be courageous and open myself to correction. Here's my current approach:
  • RobertRobert
    This is a matter of unceasing controversy in my choir.

My understanding is that in the classical Mocquereau/Gajard style, if a dotted punctum occurs at the end of a phrase, it is softened. But this is because the ends of phrases are always softened as this is where the famous "mora vocis," a delay and a dying away of the voice, occurs. This is a nice stylistic touch that is worth adopting even if you do not follow the Solesmes style generally.

However, (and this is the point of controversy) I also understand that in Classical Solesmes the dot does not automatically signal a decrescendo if it occurs in the middle of a phrase. To do so would often be contrary to good taste and common sense.

Also, Marier's interpretation suggests only that the decrescendo occurs over two "beats," which seems rather natural. This is not to say that the dotted punctum is always notably softer than what went before it even on the first "beat," although some interpret it this way.

The recordings of the Solesmes choir under Gajard are very instructive examples on this issue.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • A dotted note in the middle of a phrase means something different than at the end of a phrase.
    Completely agreed.

So it generally signals a doubling of one pulse, but the doubling is handled differently when it is situated differently in the line. Generally it is longer and sung more gently at the end of the phrase.

Jeffrey Morse has a great quote about setting down an expensive vase. Maybe he'll chime in on this discussion. :)
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Jenny
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    These answers are immensely helpful. I love the excellent graphics, Carl. Now I can keep those pictures in my head when I sing.

The point about the dotted punctum in the middle of a phrase is actually what I had most questions about so I appreciate you bringing it up, Robert and Mary Ann, because that was the problem I was running into in tomorrow's Second Alleluia, Exivi a Patre; dotted puncta (I think that's the plural) occur several times smack dab in the middle of melismatic intervals, and it's virtually impossible to sing them the same way as you would at the end of the phrase.

Problem solved. Thanks to all.
  • i found sing gerigoian is not easy ,especial for chinese
  • who can tell me what is neumi ?thanks
  • can not find it in china
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I have to tell you, John, it took me a very long time to learn the "square notes" and the various figures or neums. For a whole year, I cheated and used Achille Brager's organ accompaniment which has the Sunday Latin EF propers in regular musical notation, but I finally took the plunge about six months ago and put away the Bragers and am now able to sing the square notes. I always listen to a CD of the propers as I'm learning them which for me helps a great deal.

By the way, the Schola Bellarmina of Belgium has an excellent set of the propers on CD for the whole liturgical year. They use a very light organ accompaniment (chord progressions only, not the melody line), and it's just exquisite---they're very manly but capable of great sensitivity as well. I listen to these all week long as I'm shuttling my kids around Long Island. We've actually been listening to these for about three years and I never tire of hearing them.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Neums are the different groups of square notes.

There is a great website that has free instruction on Gregorian chant that might be helpful HERE.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I might be doing this wrong, but I treat all three of those as the same: I lengthen the note.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Clerget, if you look back at the pictures that Carl put up in his comment of a dotted punctum, a punctum with episema and bistropha, then, from what I understand, the dotted punctum and the bistropha (first and third pictures) have two beats but the middle one, the punctum with horizontal episema, is held slightly longer than one beat but less than two beats, which makes it like a syncopated note.

However, and this is where it gets a bit tricky, the first and third examples, even though they both have two beats, may be sung with different dynamics.

Again, from my own limited knowledge, the dotted punctum, if it is at the end of a phrase, as Mary Ann and Robert pointed out, may be held slightly longer and with a mora vocis, or delay of the voice, which I think means the voice slightly fades away on the second beat. If it is found in the middle of a phrase, however, you don't use the mora vocis or lengthen it.

The bistropha (and the pressus also) are held for two beats, but the voice gets slightly louder on the second beat, as the little blip in Carl's picture illustrates.

Hope that helps and doesn't make you even more confused. (I'm feeling a bit dizzy myself!) There are numerous examples of the pressus and the dotted punctum in the First and Second Alleluias for the Fifth Sunday after Easter (tomorrow's propers) so this discussion has been of enormous benefit. I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow as we sing (and esp. of Carl's pictures!)
  • dad29
    Seems to me that some of this is rather complex.

There is a simple rule: Sing it as though it were MUSIC.

In all great Western choral literature, a long note is sung with a crescendo or decrescendo. It can NOT lay there like a dead fish. Similarly, in all great Western choral literature (with some rare and artistically 'counter-intuitive' exceptions), the end of a phrase usually is sung with both a decrescendo and rallentando.

In Chant, since text is primary, the word-accent should be noticeable but not pounded. So if the dotted punctum (or any other long-sung note) is on a syllable which is NOT accented in the language, it is sung first piano, then with crescendo to the next word.

Or is that too simple?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    like music... is that too simple?

Perhaps.

But that pretty much is the heart of the matter.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • IanWIanW
    With joy.
  • incantuincantu
    Let me take off my Gregorian semiologist hat for a minute (since you're asking about Solesmes school) and put on my choral conductor hat. What matters isn't how you sing it, but how it is heard. Issues like the "right" tempo, articulation, and phrasing depend on the size of the choir, the acoustic environment, and a dozen other factors that are the prerogative of the director.
    Thanked by 2dad29 BGP
  • John, for complete beginner's, this might help:

http://ceciliaschola.org/pdf/squarenotes.pdf

Kenneth
  • Carl DCarl D
    That's why I hesitated to draw those diagrams - what it really means is that the overall line of the music takes over. The music is ever in motion, both tempo and volume. So the idea of an "even" volume is not exactly true.
  • dad29
    Issues like the "right" tempo, articulation, and phrasing depend on the size of the choir, the acoustic environment, and a dozen other factors that are the prerogative of the director

Amen. Except when there's a priest who is absolutely confident that he knows better--without having asked ONE question about the 'factors.'
  • BGP
    If it is found in the middle of a phrase, however, you don't use the mora vocis or lengthen it.

When we are talking about the 'rhythmic signs' (dots, episemas and ictuses) they were created by Dom André Mocquereau and have a rhythmic system which goes with it. So my response is in that context without considering deviations outside that context. A dotted note is always 2 rhythmic pulses long regardless of where it falls.

The 'fading' on it is a question of style (not a strict rule of the system), most people using the Mocquereau system, I think, do it at the end of phrases. I sometimes do it in the middle of long melismas, but slightly with slight decrese in energy a couple of notes leading to it and with fresh energy after.

Again a question of style, but the bistropha, pressus is often sung with crescendo.

notes with a line over are one pulse (even if the duration is the same as 2 pulses it is 1 unit) how long and with what quality is subject to interpetation.
    Thanked by 1incantu
  • Agreed with the considerations Incantu lists above.
    As someone who prepares choirs for a minimum of five (full) propers a week, I'd add that rehearsal time is also a factor.
    With the Choristers, who have several weeks to chip away at propers, I can be more detail-oriented.
    With the Choir, who sings weekly or more, I use more guidelines like "the doubled note should not ever be heavy, so err on the side of singing it lightly so as to move with more ease through the line". If I cannot find a good reason for the dot in the middle of a line, and it seems to conflict with the manuscripts, I've been known to (gasp!) ask singers to strike it.

In my cheekier moments I secretly wish the dot had not been added to chant scores. I understand why it was done, and I go along with the dot mostly because singers are using scores with it included, but I wonder how helpful it is once the tradition of chanting has been restored.

The dot in the middle of a line can be a real drag. It can easily deteriorate into being heard as, "ok, now I'm doubling the pulse" instead of having a musical value within a phrase. The airflow, the intent is halted, etc.
    Thanked by 1BGP
  • BGP
    speaking more generally,

MaryAnn- I have come to the conclusion that dots at the end of phrases are there to artificially (mechanically) create proper phrasing. Good for beginners but not necessarily long term. Once people learn to properly phrase the lines of 'textsong' they should not need them, and may be prevented from getting to that point because of over-reliance on the dots.

What Incantu and others are saying about artistry is important. I think the 'Solsmes method' is great but some people are overly slavish in adherence to what they think it means.

For example, and I hope I'm not derailing the thread, lots of older books say something like, 'the individual pulses are equal, they have the duration of a typical 1/8th note'.
    Generally speaking to explain it to a beginner this is true... but not really. A note with a line over it is equal to one without, they are both 1 pulse. All individual pulses are equal. The value of a pulse is according to the intro to the Liber that of a syllable of text (which is slightly flexible, the idea that values and rhythm are derived from the text is not new and quite compatible with the Solsmes method). The method was intended to help, not replace commonsense and good taste.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Try singing Humbly I Adore Thee out of the 1982 with an Episcopalian organist and you'll realize how needed mid-phrase dots are in performance editions.
  • ScottKChicago
    Try singing Humbly I Adore Thee out of the 1982 with an Episcopalian organist and you'll realize how needed mid-phrase dots are in performance editions.

I think the dotless version preserves the 11.11.11.11 office-hymn tune. Used to our Hymnal 1982 dotless version, I had to put in the dots mentally when I sang a hymn with the same tune at my father's funeral in his Roman Catholic parish. No problem.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BGP, agreed in toto.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We sing Adoro te as "Humbly we adore, O hidden Saviour, thee," which really is much better without dots. For a challenge, try to come up with suitable markings and a harmonization for this verse (441) in the 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship:

Cöme with the strëngth I lack, bring vision clear
    Of human need; oh give me eyes to see
    Fulfïllment öf my life in love outpoured:
    Mÿ life in yöu, O Christ; your love in me.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I sing the tune with the dots in the middle of each line, as notated in the PBC.

The 1982 blasts through the phrases with equal note values.

I have no sense of the historical-critical legitimacy of either one of these approaches,
    but hearing it played "straight" from the 1982 offends my sense of musical and poetical aesthetics.

(This is the same Hymnal that tries to argue with congregations every Advent with it's equal-valued O Come O Come Emmanuel. And don't even get me started on their ridiculous renditions of Of the Father's Love Begotten and Pange Lingua).

My personal sense of things is that somewhere in the late 1800s it was decided that all Episcopalian music had to be as dreary as possible and that, whenever presented with options regarding how to print/arrange/layout a particular hymn, the dreariness guideline was always the deciding factor.
  • I think much of the dot problem points back to how very difficult it is to write rules about specific points of interpretation when giving life and breath to an oral tradition that was not conceived in such a way.

I understand why people did that, and why it's helpful... until it's not helpful. Kinda like training wheels.

Trained singers, for all our faults, usually get the concept of flowing and even florid melody as applied to Gr chant. Words with wings- indeed! :)

Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • ScottKChicago
    (This is the same Hymnal that tries to argue with congregations every Advent with it's equal-valued O Come O Come Emmanuel. And don't even get me started on their ridiculous renditions of Of the Father's Love Begotten and Pange Lingua).

Just depends on what you're used to. And Of the Father's Love Begotten is simply rendered in a rhythmic mode, easily done in equal note values if preferred (and I think there's a note to that effect in the accompaniment edition).

Scott, a Hymnal 1982 fan who agrees there are flaws, but doesn't agree they're the ones mentioned. :)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: Of The Father's Love
    it does say that, but it seems super weird to look at it printed that way and then sing it a different way. (I print a stemless round note version in the program when I do it at Christmas).

Any particular instance of disagreement between myself and the 1982 is like- oh, ok- whatever.

But the incredibly high number of them tells me that there's something about the approach to liturgical music generally in the 1982 that is at odds with my approach. (And not just a Roman vs. Anglican thing, as far as I can tell.)

But that's for another thread.

My point was, related to the issue of whether dots are needed is this:
    We can not rely on oral tradition, musicality, or common sense to overcome notation which does not communicate the way to sing something. No matter how many online classes are available in semiology and chant rhythm, someone looking at a page full of similar-looking notes is going to sing them with equal values. Worse- many will argue that it is the right way and that the "oral tradition" of the congregation is wrong and must be corrected (as in ADORO or VENI VENI in the 1982).

Dots, lines, accents, and all those other "added" marks give people some semblance of a practical way to approach the music. People with more training, or with their own sense of musical aesthetic will (and should) do what they think works/sounds the best.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I think much of the dot problem points back to how very difficult it is to write rules about specific points of interpretation when giving life and breath to an oral tradition that was not conceived in such a way.

I couldn't agree more. When I've introduced new people to our schola, I give them a "cheat sheet" which helps them get started on the notation - and then I'm so glad when they stop referring to it a couple weeks later.

I'm actually in favor of practicing each phrase by pronouncing it as a sentence first - especially easy with English - and noticing how you don't speak it as a series of equal staccato syllables.
  • gregpgregp
    What do you do with a dotted punctum,
    what do you do with a dotted punctum,
    what do you do with a dotted punctum,
    ear-lye in the morning?

Sorry; I couldn't help myself.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    sing that sucker with a more vocis,
    ear-lye in the mornin'!
  • dad29
    Way, Way, Long we sing 'em
    way, way, long we sing 'em,
    way, way, long we sing 'em,
    ear-lye in the mahr-nin'...
  • BGP
    What Carl said about phrasing.

Mr. Wood- I can't speak to the 82 Episcopalian hymnal but I don't think you and I entirely disagree. I am a big fan of rhythmic marks and think they should be used in things for general public consumption. I also think the Solesmes method is good and useful.

However in the context of singing lots of chant frequently and liturgically (and especially psalmody) the specific example I spoke of, mora vocies mark at the end of a phrase, the mark is completely unnecessary for the thoroughly experienced. when you speak sentences you punctuate them. you don't think about it, 'oh wait I have to briefly pause between sentences...there is a comma coming up be careful make some articulation' you just do it automatically. The same is true with phrasing for those who frequently sing chant. Besides there is a big full bar line you always slacken there.

When my schola is learning a new chant the first thing we do is read the text. First slowly for proper pronunciation and then with normal speech flow (phrasing). I regularly have problems with persons who don't pay attention to the words and rely on the markings they plod along note to note, to fix this I take away the music and make them sing with just the words. This usually fixes the problem. All musical notation is an approximation and somtimes the devil is in the details ... or lack thereof.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Carl D
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BGP I agree.
  • quilisma
    Mary Ann. If you don't like dots in your chant then why not try the 1908 gradual ?
    I find it refreshingly clear.
  • Yes, I like scores without dots. Agreed.
    Unfortunately I direct 50+ singers and the LU's they own or the free resources they are (gratefully) able to use have the dots. I also know that should they go to another parish, scores with dots will likely be used. And the congregation has them in their materials. (Its a dot conspiracy, I tell you!)

So I do my best to mitigate the damage.
  • Funny thing- one of the gents in the choir had an old copy of the LU from the 30's. It had belonged to Sister (someone- how embarassing- I can't recall her name!).

At any rate, Sister had very many mid-phrase dots crossed out.

When asking singers to strike a dot, I would often ask whether Sister (or her director) agreed. Most often she did. It was like a voice from the past was weighing in during rehearsal. How I wish I could speak with her about it!
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • In many cases, the mid-phrase dot in the Solesmes editions corresponds to lengthening on a note according to the rules of interpretation for the Vatican edition (without dots), but not always. For example, in the Introit Viri Galilæi, the antiphon concludes with "alleluia, alleluia". On the syllable "le" of the 1st of these "alleluias", both the Solesmes and Vatican editions have lengthening of the virga. But on the syllable "le" of the final "alleluia", the Solesmes editions do not lengthen the third note of the torculus whereas the rules for the Vatican edition say it should be lengthened due to the gap between it and the note that follows.

In general, Solesmes used the dots to reduce somewhat the amount of lengthening of notes in the chant in comparison to the Vatican edition. And in quite a few cases the dots substantially change the rhythmic pattern of melismas.